1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jets have to tame the Wildcat

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Sceeto, Oct 10, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/jets-have-to-tame-the-wildcat-1.1514461

:wink2:
    Woooo! That's amazing!
    :yes: This is so true and just another reason to love the WC, IMO. R&R all day!!!!!:up:

dirtywhiteboy likes this.
  2. Gitrdone

Gitrdone New Member

May 22, 2009
    Canada EH!
    I would love to see us flip the Wildcat and run Ricky from the other side of the formation. Give a team a diff look that way also, could confuse them, since we have only ran it with Ricky coming from the left.

3. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ

Haaa that to easy ,When do the dolphin ever do something to help them out...

I said it last week ronnie always takes the ball or keeps it.

4. Gitrdone

Gitrdone New Member

May 22, 2009
    Canada EH!
    Most of the time he keeps it, not always, but to change the flow to a different side of the field would be nice, would make the defense change their roles to stop it, since they most probably only prepare for it to be run to one side. Since we have never flipped the play to the other side.

DeDolfan likes this.
  5. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    I been loving this version of the wildcat.......but for this game, I wanna see the new beast that you know they've been hiding in the practice bubble.

dirtywhiteboy and NolePhin like this.
  6. NolePhin

NolePhin Look out for D-Bess

Apr 27, 2009
    Davie, FL
    Agreed. I have to believe they have some crazy wildcat plays they have yet to display in a game.

I think part of the reason they haven't shown any new wrinkles is because the head of the new wrinkle is presumably Pat White, and whether he isn't ready or they want to get Henne comfortable before bringing him on and off the field, I have a feeling thats part of the reason why we haven't seen anything new.

OR

We could just be waiting to destroy the pats with it again.:lol:

jetssuck likes this.
  7. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

our collective foot = their ***

TiP54 likes this.
  8. Tpaddle

Tpaddle Active Member

Sep 21, 2009
    hopefully we will see something new tomorrow night and completely trick the jets...maybe involving cobbs or ginn

9. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    When the wildcat works, its not cause we tricked the other team or fooled them in anyway. It worked cause we blocked well and ran hard.

If we block well and our boys run hard (which is all they know how to do) then we'll be fine. The jets are talented on D, so it wont be easy. But to think that theres some magical gameplan for the wildcat is just silly. And vice versa. theres no magic to us running the wildcat either it. everyone knows where the plays going.

DeDolfan and cnc66 like this.
  10. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    No but there are plenty of new wrinkles that involve throwing, that could make it even more effective.

11. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I actually like the variation the Broncos tried today, send the QB in motion to confuse the Defense.

jetssuck likes this.
  12. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Damn I missed that part of the game, would have liked to see that.

13. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    basically Orton lined up as a WR, then ran to take the snap behind center

jetssuck likes this.
  14. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    I would like to see us use something like that to get White involved and throw some passes. Would probably be easier than asking him to just line up behind center.

15. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I hate to bring back bad memories of '07, but if you remember the London game against the Giants when Marty Booker came in motion to move under center (Cleo was in the shotgun) and took a QB sneak - that's what it reminded me of.

16. BwanaZulia

BwanaZulia New Member

May 12, 2008
    The wildcat is getting the Dolphins lots of yards, but not lots of wins. If the Dolphins are going to win, they are going to do more than do a ton of wildcat.

We might give up 160-170 yards of rushing, but that might not equal a win.

BZ

17. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Perhaps it has only equalled one win, but the teams we lost to had GREAT offenses. We won't see that tonight.

18. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    I was just about to post something similar. If Miami approaches anywhere near 200 rushing yards, they win this game.

The fact is, the Jets don't have the type of offense (QB) to withstand their defense getting punished on the ground, ala Peyton's Colts. If Miami can run the ball, they win. If not, they lose. Its just that simple.

19. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    5 plays a game = alot of wildcat?

20. BwanaZulia

BwanaZulia New Member

May 12, 2008
    You also have to measure up agains the team you won against. You know, the team that lost to the Browns, 6-3?

The Bills are the bottom of the barrel and they got to Chad Henne six teams. If you let the Jets hit Chad Henne six times tonight, you will need Chad3 to get on the field.

BZ

21. BwanaZulia

BwanaZulia New Member

May 12, 2008
    Sanchez is no Manning... very very true... but we have weapons, and he can throw the ball. I don't think we will shut down the running game, because the Dolphins will stick to it no matter what. If you guys go down 14-0 in the half, you are still going to try and run it, those yards will add up.

Great, if it is only 5 times this game, I will be very very happy.

BZ

22. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Is that right? Because the Jests hit so much harder than the Bills do :pity:

If you re-read what I said, the teams that beat us did it with top-Notch offense.
    The Jests on the other hand have an offense equally inept as the Bills :up:

23. BwanaZulia

BwanaZulia New Member

May 12, 2008
    The Bills offense played against your offense? Weird.

The truth is, we have shut down good offenses (which yours isn't) and beat good defenses (which yours isn't).

The talk is great, but the records stand where they are, 3-1 vs 1-3. You beat the Bills. Nothing to crow about.

We beat the Patriots, Texans and Titans. Not crappy teams.

I don't worry about Rex's defense shutting down your offense and if our offense can keep the ball, expose your secondary and make some good plays, this is going to be a good game.

BZ

24. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Words like a sword. Live and die by them.

jetssuck likes this.
  25. BwanaZulia

BwanaZulia New Member

May 12, 2008
    Indeed...

Kinda like J-***** saying.. "The AFC East still runs through Miami."

Uhuh.

BZ

26. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Our offense is fine. When you're the best rushing team in the NFL, you have a good offense.

As far as our defense goes, they can only get better. Last year they looked shaky at the beginning of the season but played better as the season progressed. Wouldn't be surprised to see that happen again.

27. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Let's see:
    You beat the 2-3 Texans?
    The 0-5 Titans and the Patriots well before they hit their stride. For all practical arguements, the lowly Bills beat the Patriots as well.
    Yep, no doubt you have beat some elite teams :up:

Please come back here in about 8 weeks after your schedule catches up and then let's talk about it :up:

28. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville

29. BwanaZulia

BwanaZulia New Member

May 12, 2008
    Your running game is good, only because it is your only weapon.. you are running and running and running, thus putting up tons of yards but not scoring and not winning games.

Vs ATL - 7 points (L)
    vs SD - 23 points (L)
    vs IND - 13 points (L)

I hope you are not counting the Bills game in those stats.

So yes, statistically you are running it well, but against good defenses, while you are running it, you are not scoring and not winning.

So the question is, do you think the Jets defense is for real or not? I guess you guys are all saying the Jets defense isn't very good.

If that is what you are looking for tonight, I think you are going to be a little surprised (I know, I was).

BZ

30. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Wow BZ, jealousy is NOT a good color on you :lol:
    I honestly have no idea who you quoted as it got filtered, but do you really need to be reminded of exactly who won the division last year?
    Its the truth whether you want to recognize it or not :yes:

31. BwanaZulia

BwanaZulia New Member

May 12, 2008
    Can't promise 8 weeks (because at that point you guys are going to be very bitter), but I will come back before we play you guys again (like I always do).

Texans, Patriots, Saints all have better offenses than the Dolphins and Brees didn't score a passing TD, the Texans were shut out and Tom Brady was hit 23 times.

Again, you want to underplay the teams we played, go for it. As much as I didn't believe it before, our defense is for real and getting Lito/Pace back is going to help more.

Go ahead, throw the ball... #24 will be happy to comply.

BZ

32. BwanaZulia

BwanaZulia New Member

May 12, 2008
    You won it last year, congrats.

But saying that the AFC East goes through the 1-3 Miami Dolphins who loss their starting QB? That is balls, even for Porter.

BZ

33. Gitrdone

Gitrdone New Member

May 22, 2009
    Canada EH!
    You mean the same team that had to shoot themselves in the foot numerous times for the Pats to get by them? The same Team that played darn good defense against New Orleans? The same team our run O went to town on? Just because the Bills lost 6-3 to the Browns means nothing. Every game is different. If we can run the ball on your Jets, you guys will lose, because Sanchez is not Manning, nor is he Cutler. If you allow our run game to get going, Sanchez won't have many chances to score since we will own the Time of possession. That will force him to take chances and make mistakes.

But if we can't run the ball, you guys should have an easy win.

34. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    I don't think ANYBODY has said your defense isn't good, I know I haven't said that, however, I DON'T think your offense is any good.
    It will come down to us being able to run enough to losen your defense for Henne.

35. BwanaZulia

BwanaZulia New Member

May 12, 2008
    Ok, so the Patriots, Texans and Saints can't hang big points on our defense, but Chad Henne and Ted Ginn can?

Again, run-ricky-run-ronnie-run-ricky-run all night long, that hasn't proven to put enough points to win the game. You can't argue that.

Running is great, but if you can't score more than the other team, you are 1-3.

BZ

36. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    FWIW; I LOVE the fact you ae geeting Lito Sheppard back. That guy should change his name to burnt toast.
    He is easily the most awkward looking CB in the league.
    Of course we won't throw anywhere near Reevis tonight, but I expect Toast to be going after a pick on every single pass just like he always does. I also expect him to miss the play as he almost always does :up:

37. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Yeah....cuz great defenses are always giving up 150+ yds in a game.

You beat three teams without much of a pass rush. The one team you faced with a pass rush, spanked you.

38. BwanaZulia

BwanaZulia New Member

May 12, 2008
    Ok... so assuming that Revis takes out your #1 weapon (feels funny typing that) in Teddy (sir-drops-alot) who is Lito going to get burnt by?

BZ

39. Gitrdone

Gitrdone New Member

May 22, 2009
    Canada EH!
    We don't expect to hang big points on your D, we expect to speed the game up with a power running game. Taking long drives that eat the clock, maybe we only get 3, but the more time we eat off the clock, the more pressure it puts on Sanchez to make a play. Last i checked, Sanchez is no Manning.

Last i checked the Patriots offense is not running on all cylinders, and the Texans have been one sided so far also, and that one side played right into your Defenses strength, the pass defense. We had the Colts beat, our D let us down, not our O.

40. BwanaZulia

BwanaZulia New Member

May 12, 2008
    We got beat by the Saints, the best loss I have ever seen.

They spanked us, but we handed them the paddle when our offense scores 14 points for them.

It is my biggest worry tonight, Mark Sanchez.

Can he learn from that game, come back and play less like a scared rookie? Personally, I think he is smart enough and good enough to do that, but until he does it, I am nervous. I would be much happier if we had a home game after that bad loss, but that is the way it is.

BZ