1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jets reject Darrelle Revis' latest offer

Discussion in 'AFC East Rivals' started by NJFINSFAN1, Aug 9, 2010.

1. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    dude what the hell with that!!!??? Why are they assuming he blew through all his money already?? Cause he is an athlete, maybe he is like Rod Smith who saved every dollar he ever made in pro-football....

Thing is with Rev, if he wasnt on the Jets I wouldnt mind him, he isnt a junk-talking loudmouth fool, he knows what he is talking about...he never sounds like a fool in an interview..

PhiNomina likes this.
  2. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    What an idiotic post from gangreen. People haven't been locked up for debt in God knows how long. Not in my lifetime.

3. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    hehe, but they might end up with a 1099c.. :shifty:

4. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    True, except looking at Rex Ryan makes me want to vomit up that puke green color that they wear. What's that, reverse bulimia?

And I should apologize to Lindsay Lohan, I'm sorry for comparing you to the Jets. Nobody deserves that.

5. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    I believe he gave up a year of tenure because he didn't report today. From what I understand he won't get credit for playing a full year, and loses a year of FA eligibility. Correct me if I'm wrong...

6. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Johnson said we will not trade him, and if we don't agree on a new contract he is still under contract and should be in camp.

7. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Revis has outperformed his rookie contract, and he's absolutely right to pursue a new deal. So is Chris Johnson, DeSean Jackson, and if he pans out this season, Chad Henne.

The problem isn't that Revis wants a new deal, it's that Revis is looking to get paid more than Nnamdi Asomugha's $15.1 million per year. He's not worth that. Asomugha isn't worth that either, but that's what he's getting paid. The Jets offered $12 million per year, Revis turned it down. And keep in mind that Revis, in seeking a new deal, is basically forfeiting a $20 million payment in the last year of his rookie contract. He's looking for gigantic numbers, to the point where he's making a calculated decision to give up $20 million for the sake of making $100 million.

At this point, the ridiculous and patently false "Revis Island" hype machine is working against the Jets. The irony? Now that Kyle Wilson is replacing Revis in the starting lineup, Wilson will get the same amount and type of safety help as Revis.

8. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Doesn't help Revis's case that he held out as a rookie as well.

I really find it funny how Rexy totally over-looked this ^^^ as he stroked Revis's ego throughout the season.

So you have a player who held out as a rookie because he thought he was worth more than what any other rookie corner was worth at the time, he plays well 3 years later, so you reward him by stroking his ego when everyone in the organization knew what his salary would be the upcoming season. Genius move by Ryan.

9. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Its wierd bro because I guy like Ronnie who was a RFA, had until 30 days before the start of the season aka today to sign (he did btw) or it wouldnt have counted....but guys who are signed under a contract still going have until I think, dont quote me, but Week 10 to show or it doesnt count...They keep talking about that with V-Jax...and some other vets this summer..

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed that unsigned restricted free agent Vincent Jackson will not be required to sign his tender before serving his three-game suspension.

V-Jax is a special case because he hasn't signed. Players under contract and holding out must serve their suspensions once they return to the team. Jackson will miss Weeks 1-3 regardless, which makes it more likely that he will opt against signing his tender until at least Week 4. NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora points out that Chargers can place Jackson on the roster exempt list -- without pay -- until the third game after he reports. Jackson would then have to report by Week 7 to avoid losing a year of accrued service time.

10. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    That's the best part, he's holding out over a contract he held out over.

Ryan definitely has a communications problem. He's a little too open about some things he really shouldn't be, like the whole Joe Haden/Kyle Wilson thing that got his brother Rob in a smidge of trouble in Cleveland.

To be fair, contracts aren't Ryan's problem. He's in the business of managing the players themselves, not their salaries.

11. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    True. At least we agree that he didn't help the situation in that respect.

12. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    what are you talking about... we swept them with Revis last yar, and they still had nothing but excuses. its the friggin jests man. we'll win, and they'll cry and make excuses...including their bloated coach.

so it doesnt matter if he's there or not...excuse wise.

Pagan and Dolphins1Beatles like this.
  13. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Bro, it's not an excuse when a team uses a gimmick play to make your defense look helpless on the first/last drives of the game... It's a concern. :pointlol:

Nevermind the usage of fake punts. Those are legitimate in-your-face plays.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  14. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    "we totally outplayed them...waaaaaaaaaaah"

15. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    You know how we have "feed the wolf" as our slogan?

the jests should be

"the miami dolphins will NOT make our head coach cry again this year"

16. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    MikeHoncho likes this.
  17. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Between Hard Knocks, "Revis Island", Rex writing 'Super Bowl champs' on that bus, this drama, JT, the media love...I REALLY hope they finish in last place. More than ever before.

5-11, 6-10 would be great for the Jets. WFAN and Rex's press conferences would be pure comedy GOLD. Even if the Dolphins missed out or lost in the wild card round, as long as the Jets don't even make it, everything will feel much better.

18. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    That was Jenkins. While guys like Ryan, Scott and Pace were running their mouths and making excuses, Jenkins gave us credit and told them they needed to shut up. Jenkins has my respect.

19. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    The best part is they open against a pretty good Baltimore team. They have a great chance to start 0-1. I don't know if that alone will derail their season or anything but hey it can't hurt. If they happened to get beaten badly by Baltimore then it could definitely spiral downward from there.

The other side of that is that they beat Baltimore and go on a tear and get even more cocky.

20. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...010-08-11_40m_gap_guarantees_big_trouble.html

According to Gary Myers of the New York Daily News, the 10-year proposals on the table by both the Jets and Revis differ by $40M.

The $40M doesn't even include signing bonuses and guaranteed money. The Jets have had a 10-year, $120M offer "on the table for months," so it seems that Revis' camp is asking for 10-years, $160M. No wonder Woody Johnson's gut feeling is that Revis won't play for the Jets.

Disnardo likes this.
  21. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Funny thing about Bevis's contract demands, 16 mil per yr is what the Cb Franchise tag costs, to me the real problem is the duration he wishes the contract to run.

Either way though, Revis just gave up one yr of service towards FA, at least under the old CBA, so he is serious about his holdout..let the Jest start to lose and the howls will be heard all the way down to the Keys.

22. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    A CB tag is 16 milly Pads?? the avg of the top 5 is 16 million?? Cant be...

I agree the duration of it rots too...

23. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Yep, that is why Davis paid Ashmougha so much FY, his contract was more or less a 3yr guarantee of a Franchise Tag without using the Tag.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...mughas-deal-wasnt-as-bad-as-the-jets-suggest/

gunn34 and finyank13 like this.
  24. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    From Marino on FB:

You tell them Dan! :hi5:

25. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    yeah but is only because they were going to tag him 2 yrs in a row....which if you do it goes up.....the CB franchise number for 2010 is $9.56M.....

the Raiders just should have offered him 12 million a year over however many years and still would have saved 4 million a year...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/29/official-franchise-transition-tag-numbers-revealed/

26. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Whaddya?!?!?

The Raiders stepped up and paid Nnamdi, what is the Jests excuse?

That and Tannebaum is garnering a poor reputation among Jest players, apparently he promises the world, then when it comes time to make good he goes ghost.

Leon Washington was in line for new deal, kinda held out, came back in after being assured something would be done about his deal, then broke his leg and was traded to Seattle, that sends a message to the rest of the Veterans.

jetssuck likes this.
  27. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Anyone else loving the "Revis Holdout" time tracker on ESPN.com? haha

finyank13 likes this.
  28. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I barfed. Typical northeast media overreaction. We're not talking about an all-time great player here. We're not even talking about the best player at his position right now.

29. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    The Jets excuse is that 16 million dollars for a CB is hogwash, like we said 12 million was more than enough for a CB.......leave it to a CEO of a company not pay it to.....I dont see Johnson paying this, and he came out and said as much the other day when he said "his gut feeling is he wouldnt play for the Jets....." 16 million is what you pay QB's not CB's ...Tanny-bum is a stoolie in this, it is Johnson's money....I dont blame him for not paying this....I bet behind the scenes Johnson is intensly telling Revis' camp he isnt paying the 16 million dollar figure...

Now with that being said Pads...I love this is taking place, and glad it isnt our problem.....:up:

adamprez2003 and padre31 like this.
  30. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I will say that happens everywhere, it is over-sensationalism of all sports media everywhere....

Granted ESPN is based in the northeast, but I'm sure people in the midwest want to know about Favre every 5 minutes, where I could care less....samething with Bron's decision, I wonder what the ratings where regionally, as I am sure the southeast, and midwest had much higher ratings than here (RI not NY)....Bonds out west, Yankees and Red Sox here, versus you guys who could give 2 hoots....etc etc...everybody wants to be A)the first to know, and B) the first to report it....which often leads to alot of Calvin Pace to Miami premature announcements that are false...

gunn34 likes this.
  31. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    This just in:

Chris Mortensen - "Sources: Jets' Pace headed to Miami for a future 7th rounder and conditional Pez dispenser"

32. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    It's not just Bevis Revis, but Mangold is wanting more $$$ too, and the Johnsons are just sitting tightly on their billionaire wallets, while asking Jet's fans to cough up more money for something called personal seat licenses. Haa haaa.......what a scam. Sounds like things are falling apart for the Jests.

finyank13 likes this.
  33. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Pace is getting blown up by Polite again this year, then is going to yap his stupid a*s face off about some sore loser stuff....:lol:

34. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I don't see much sensationalism in local markets.

ESPN drives the Brett Favre drama every year, not Packers/Vikings beat writers.

ESPN reported the special drew a 26 rating in Cleveland, while garnering a 12.8 rating in Miami. In Chicago, the special did a 10.7, while posting a 10.4 in New York and a 5.3 in Los Angeles.

Of course everyone wants to be the first to report something. But that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about the tendency of sports media in NY and the surrounding environs (ESPN) to blow up a story beyond its actual proportions, whether positive or negative. "Revis Island" is an example, as are A-Rod's struggles at third base. According to the NY media, A-Rod was a complete and total bum, and Revis is the greatest CB ever to play the game.

That penchant for exaggeration is the problem.

finyank13 likes this.
  35. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    He was until last year....:lol:....

ESPN's job is to over-saturate content whether positive or negative, why else do they exist?? They have the most resources to place somebody like Ed Werder in Mississippi waiting for Favre to show his head, not beat writers of local newspapers....Can you fault them for it?? People will tune in to what they think is important to them...For some of regions ESPN is the only sports channel available to them....I get NFLF, MLBN, and NBATV on my basic HD services through my cable company....I have seen many posts on here where people dont have that available...

ESPN blew up the Lebron thing to gross proportions, and Cleveland was the highest rated region watching that night (God Bless them)....Dont see how a NY or ESPN is responsible for that...people obviously wanted that..

I get what your saying though Desides, the exaggeration of regular stories to be blown out....:up:

36. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    The Jets and Darrelle Revis' agents have issued a joint statement saying that they'll continue to negotiate in private.

"Both parties have had conversations to clear the air and will continue to negotiate with the hopes of reaching an agreement. From this point forward, all discussions regarding these negotiations will remain confidential," read the statement. No real news here, but at least the two sides are working together on the PR side of things.

37. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    [​IMG]

"Wats goin on in tis thread guyz?"

jetssuck likes this.
  38. Makados10

Makados10 Active Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Revis is great but a CB is not worth that much... and the longer he holds out only degrades the Jets' need of him.

The Jets happened to draft a very good rookie CB in the first round.

39. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I was bored and decided to watch the Marino fake spike on Youtube the other day - the SportsCenter clip was 9 minutes and 40 seconds long. Pure highlights. I felt like I actually watched the game.

Now, SportsCenter shows one highlight and then has talking heads come on and take controversial views on the soup du jour for 75% of their programming. That is the problem.

gunn34 likes this.
  40. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I understand the Jets balking at Revis' demands. I believe the franchise tag for CB is around $10 million - but OAK had already franchised Nnamdi - so instead of averaging the top few CBs, it was the average of the top paid players in the league (doesn't this happen if you have been franchised 2-3 consecutive years)?

So OAK was over-paying due to having to franchise tag him every year, not necessarily market value. Revis still has years on his contract so his leverage isn't nearly what Nnamdi had.

41. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Which is why Revis is holding out, the way he may see it, why should he spend 3yrs working for less then 2 yrs as a franchise tag THEN be the highest paid Cb?

"Oh don't worry Darrelle, 5 yrs from now we'll pay you the top number"?

Leon Washington's broken leg, then trade was a wake up call for the young veterans on the team.