1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jim Rome said it best

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dolphins1Beatles, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Said no professional players will try and throw games on purpose. But he said they are trying and still look awful, which is the real road to Luck. As for the fans, he said, "Dolfans say it with me, L-U-C-K Luck Luck Luck!" Rome believes the Colts have too many vets and should pick up a few wins, and that the Rams, Panthers and Vikings have already invested in young QBs.

Now as for Luck who Rome just interviewed, he said on "Suck for Luck" that he doesn't relish that attention and that nobody would actually try to lose games. Rome asked him if he watched the Dolphins game last night, and yes he did. Rome asked him what he thought and that he could end up on the Dolphins and he said he doesn't think about that yet since he is focused on his current team and players.

Said he returned to college to finish his degree and because he and his fellow players he came in with wanted to finish what they started. He seems to have a great personality besides the talent. He is NOT Ryan Leaf or Jamarcus Russell. (There is a 99% chance he will enter the draft. His fellow players who entered with him will also be leaving, and he will have his degree.)

2. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Nice. Thanks for sharing.

3. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Thank you.

I DVR'd the show. Cool that he watched the game. Unfortunate that it was a pathetic performance, but the guy likes to be part of turnarounds.

I will say, the guy can deny it all he wants, but he has to be subconsciously thinking about these crappy teams and where he could possibly end up

4. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Everyone thinks that teams like St. Louis, who have already invested in a QB, wouldn't take the best QB in the draft if they earned the first pick, but I think that's simply not true.

You take the QB and parlay him or your existing QB into multiple high picks, or you parlay the pick itself into a bounty which allows you to surround your franchise passer with the best possible talent.

But I'll tell you what they won't do: pick a backup RB or a Center with the pick.

mroz, Phyl, SICK and 1 other person like this.
  5. Dolphins1Beatles

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Oh yeah, he just said he is focused on his teammates and stuff. He says the right things in interviews, no surprise. He just seems so smart and seems like a Peyton Manning-type. He also discusses talking with Peyton Manning last year before not entering the draft.

I know I missed some stuff, but I'm sure the full interview will be online. I was just excited to see him being asked directly about the Dolphins! He didn't trash us...I think he said "Yeah, they struggled."

Might be true....but if that's the case I'd gladly take Sam Bradford from them. They have yet to play the Seahawks and Cardinals though. We look worse than all these teams.

6. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Having the talent he has, at the position he plays, no matter what year he gets drafted he's likely going to a crappy team. That's the nature of the beast in the NFL. If he wants to be part of a winning franchise, he'll have to work towards making it that way on whatever team he's with. It's not like we will never be successful. I sincerely hope he's not such a prima donna that he wants to dictate which team he goes to or hold back another year or whatever to avoid ending up with whichever team drafts him... Too many college grads don't even have the choice of a job, much less a job like that of NFL player...

7. Darrelle Revis

Darrelle Revis I BELIEVE!

Apr 21, 2010
    New York City
    Pathetic. Anyone that loses on purpose for a player that might NOT even enter the draft is embarrassing and pathetic. It's embarrassing for Miami, the NFL, football in general, and the AFC East.

8. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I agree with you. I just haven't really heard anyone suggest that if the Rams got the pick they'd actually use it on someone other than Luck. I thought the consensus was that Luck is going #1 overall regardless of who picks up there, the only difference being whether a trade happened first or not.

9. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Embarrassing will be the Jets' slow descent into mediocrity and eventually obscurity as long as they stick with Mark Sanchez at quarterback. It's already starting to happen, sadly.

jupiterfin, Tone_E, Phins28 and 14 others like this.
  10. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I would hope nobody affiliated with the organizations would consider losing on purpose. That would be NBA territory to me.

11. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Even so, if he was watching that game he had to be seeing how Matt Moore was missing WIDE OPEN reads that would have converted first downs and/or gotten touchdowns, how he was constantly late on his throws, how the ball placement was all over the place, how he missed all these throws...and he had to be thinking "Damn, I could definitely do better than this."

I mean, there were mistakes in that game that made the game the way it was...and Luck had to be looking on and thinking to himself, I could have changed those moments and then it would have been a different game.

12. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    I've always supported other teams' fans posting but you really are being a jerk, coming in and rubbing salt on what figures to be a season-long open wound. Especially after your team just beat ours.

13. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I'm sorry, but if someone is considered a franchise QB, and their team ends up with the worst record in the NFL, you aren't really a franchise QB. Sam Bradford included.

Also, I'm not sure how the Colts being a veteran team will help them get wins as the season progresses. When you have older players, you aren't getting a lot of good practice time in during the season.

14. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I'm sure he said that when Miami was on offense, and defense as well :chuckle:

15. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    I can think of a few other things more embarrassing to that same group....

http://www.570news.com/sports/artic...ch-rex-ryan-guarantees-super-bowl-win-in-2012

http://www.thesmokingjacket.com/entertainment/brett-favre-jenn-sterger-pics

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5598872

[video=youtube;FeOonqxHN6I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FeOonqxHN6I[/video]

almost forgot this gem.

[video=youtube;jDpWzK9c25c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jDpWzK9c25c[/video]

http://www.keepinitclassyinny.com

16. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie

Don't forget these final 5 games.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/schedule/_/name/nyj/year/2008

McLovin likes this.
  17. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    I think this has raised a character concern with Luck.

Why would anyone want to be associated with Jim Rome?

18. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Moore was also a victim of probably the worst collective game our offense has had all season.

Marshall drops at least 2 (1 being a td of course), Hartline dropped that laser across the middle that couldn't of been thrown any better, and Bess coughs up a big fumble, etc. Clay and Bush? Not much happening there.

Moore def didn't have a great game either, but he gave our offense a lot of opportunities, which they wasted.

steveincolorado likes this.
  19. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I thought the funniest line by Rome....."Drunks who know how to walk a straight line during a sobriety test are laughing at you Mr. Marshall with your sideline wobble!"

dolfan32323 likes this.
  20. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    To quote The Great William Shakespeare: "Art thou Mad Bro?"

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  21. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Be less of a stereotype.

McLovin, Uncle Rico, SICK and 4 others like this.
  22. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    You've input the wrong link.
    This is thePhins.com not Gang Green.

Since you've stopped by to point fingers in a conversation you clearly misunderstood let me point it out to you that no one is stating that any player on Miami is playing bad on purpose. So take your high and mighty damnation of our team elsewhere.

By the way, we don't need to tank games on purpose were just that bad naturally.
    We weren't expected to be very good however.
    The Jets on the other hand yet again proclaimed they were super bowl bound, are 3-3 currently and look like crap.
    Congratulations.
    Now go fondle a Fireman Ed doll.

23. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    There are times when I look at Daboll's play calls and see that the design was perfect, but the execution was lacking. That third and short play was one. The fact that they threw the ball on that play shows that they have no confidence in their short yardage running at all. However, while everyone is ripping the play call, Matt Moore made the wrong decision. He had either Lex Hillard or Charles Clay, I can't remember which one, WIDE OPEN in the flats for an easy first down. Then on the goal line, the play design got Clay WIDE OPEN in the back of the endzone, but Moore forces the pass to Brandon Marshall. Matt Moore really showed why he is nothing more than a third string guy in this league in this game.

24. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    LMAO... That's awesome.

25. pacadermng67

pacadermng67 New Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Vienna, VA
    Marshall turned around and veered off course. Its something I do on the treadmill when watching TV, not something a pro getting paid 10 mil a year should do.

26. AquaBlitz

AquaBlitz Active Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Then only team we have to worry about is Denver. Unless Tebow does the unthinkable and starts winning games with absolutely nothing at receiver.

27. Starry31

Starry31 Phins and Heels.

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hilliard and you could see as it happened live, Lex just chilling past the first down marker with no one anyone near him. When he let go of the pass I said... well I can't type it because of the ToS. I don't mind Moore taking that shot on 2nd down, but on third you have to get the automatic first. Not to mention Gates was only what, 10 yards deeper and with Revis blanketing him. Definitely poor execution.

28. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
  29. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Precisely, Brady in that same situation leads 21-7 at the half! I'm thinking Luck could approach that almost right away.

30. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Why " Sadly" ? kind of pleasant to me .

31. Dolphins1Beatles

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    They aren't losing on purpose, they just suck. But what does that have to do with this post? Nowhere did it say the Dolphins were losing on purpose. Did the 0-16 Lions lose on purpose? No, the wheels fell off.

How about that Jets conditioning coach who tripped a player on purpose last season and could have ended his career and future? Now THAT is a Pathetic embarrassment.

Enjoy Mark Sanchez in 2012 & Beyond.

32. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    I wouldn't completely rule it out but I don't see how the Rams can trade Bradford with the kind of contract they had to give him. It would be about a 35 million dollar cap hit. I have too little insight into their cap situation to say that they absolutely can't do it, but it's a gigantic hit to trade one highly regarded prospect for the other.

33. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

How do you think he feels? He's been living with a life-long open wound.

Take that in two ways. Either way is fine.

dolfan32323 likes this.
  34. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    were not doing it anymore than the rest of the losing teams..Your fanbase would do the same thing...plus you all got bigger things to worry about, empty seats in your own stadium, with a very mediocre team, and a QB that doesn't seem to be improving, and who lacks arm strength.

35. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    I'm not sticking up for this idiot, but based on the numbers, Sanchez is improving. He has enough arm to play the position. And who cares about some empty seats?

-Ed-
    sent from my EVO 3D

36. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    And shonn green. He will continue to be avg at best, as the jets regime is proving they can't draft

37. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    But you mention the Colts. Bit of a stretch. Peyton Manning is the definition of a franchise QB. His team tied for worst record in NFL and it's how they drafted E James with a top 5 pick in 99. How is that any different than what's happening with Bradford? (and yes, I realize it's his 2nd year, not rookie year).

38. PhinPhanatic

PhinPhanatic New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    May I speculate ....

On Luck's number if we were so "lucky"..... (yeah i know bad)
    Cant be 12 that was Bob
    13 was of course Dan
    The only two winning QBS I can really name.
    So 12 was great, 13 perhaps even better, how about Luck goes for #14?
    Fun to speculate.
    On an unrealted topic our coaches should take a gander at how Buff uses Spiller and mirror it with Bush. Spiller was flanked out quite a bit on Sun and returning kicks. Dont think I saw him run one from handoff.

39. Darrelle Revis

Darrelle Revis I BELIEVE!

Apr 21, 2010
    New York City

[video=youtube;FgevqhDjfUY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgevqhDjfUY[/video]

40. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I was completely shocked that you got that non-call lol