1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jim Schwartz declines offer to become Dolphins defensive coordinator

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Phins Up Wins Up, Oct 6, 2015.

1. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    definitely would bring a boat load of attitude and improve our LB's and corners. Singletary is SUH on roids

Phins_Fan_87 likes this.
  2. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    If Miami is actively trying to find his replacement, why on earth does he still have a job? How is that a good environment for anyone involved? How can you expect the man to do his job if he knows they are out looking for his replacement?

3. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    The Coyle question is difficult because it’s not just about him. If Miami were to fire Coyle, they would have to find a competent replacement, especially given there are 12 games remaining in the season.

It’s no surprise to me reports are saying Schwartz isn’t interested. I said a couple weeks ago that was a pipe dream and that the situation would not be attractive to any outside entity. Coordinator’s don’t simply come in and start working mid-season. That’s not how things operate. It very obviously has to be a promotion from within which is the problem.

In reality, there’s not a lot behind Coyle on his staff. That could even be part of the reason the defense is under-achieving. Both the D-line and the DBs coaches are just not that experienced and appear well under-qualified to assume Coyle’s seat, even on an interim basis. The most likely option would be LBs coach Mark Duffner.

Duffner’s resume isn’t great (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Duffner). He struggled at Maryland in the early 90s before bouncing around the NFL with the Bengals, Packers and Jaguars. He is however, the only experienced option having been a DC in the early 2000s (Bengals) and a HC back at Maryland. The DBs coach and the D-line coach are both young and inexperienced guys.

So while many people avoid the question by saying “anything is better than Coyle,” the truth is that’s not an answer. Coyle brings a lot to the table—much more than anyone else on his staff. Getting rid of that much expertise and experience may be unwise and may leave the Dolphins even worse off.

While I can’t say for sure what I’d do without knowing these guys and talking to them directly, it doesn’t seem surprising that Campbell’s gut is going to tell him to try and work with Coyle in the next few weeks to get the defense turned around. That’s probably what I would do.

4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I don't understand this.

We can't get much worse than we are with Coyle, so why not make a leap and **** can the guy. What's gonna happen...are we can allow teams to run all over us, score 41 pts, have one sack in 4 games....what exactly is going to happen?

5. Phins Up Wins Up

Phins Up Wins Up Banned

Nov 27, 2014
    Exactly and their defense is doing worse without him at defensive coordinator.

6. Phins Up Wins Up

Phins Up Wins Up Banned

Nov 27, 2014
    This is what I'm saying. One sack in 4 games and worst run defense. You can't get any worse than that. This defense is almost historically bad. Just promote Duffner for now and be done with Coyle. He does more harm than good. He actually makes the team worse. He doesn't make it marginally good or bad. He is just terrible and the players hate him. Just get rid of the guy and promote Duffner.

dolphin25 likes this.
  7. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Lol cmon bro, you know this is how Dumbo works. Reach out to candidates first, then fire later....unless of course everyone you talk to turns you down, at which point you go back to the current coach and offer him an apology extension. You know that's what Coyle's banking on, he sees dollar signs.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  8. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014

Who says things can't get worse? As a Dolphins fan I know better than to declare that.

9. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    For things to get worse we'd have to go something like 3-13, since we were on pace for 4-12. Honestly, to me there really isn't much of a difference between 4-12, 3-13, 2-14, etc.

Fin D likes this.
  10. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Long term it can always get worse. Especially if Stephen Ross has anything to do with the coaching search.

11. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    Sure, but Fin D was specifically referring to this season with Coyle as DC. And I agree with him, things could not get any worse without Coyle.

Fin D likes this.
  12. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Last year under Schwartz, the Bills only gave up over 30 points once all season. 37 to NE in Week 6. They held Peyton and Rodgers to 173 and 185 passing yards in back to back weeks in December.

We'll have to see how the season plays out but there is a good chance the Bills will be statistically worse this year.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/buffalobills/schedule?team=BUF&season=2014&seasonType=REG

77FinFan likes this.