1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jim Turner, too much noise & short on experience?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, Oct 9, 2013.

1. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Not so much with regard to Mike Sherman and Jim Turner, but my thoughts can be found here: http://www.thephins.com/forums/showthread.php?78447-Ronin-s-3-1-Thoughts

There's even some bits form alen1 that are very interesting. I think if you pull up the post-Saints game thread that Disgustipate started, I voice my concerns about Kevin Coyle. This one was in the main forum. Alen1 touches on some of the schematic things that I don't like about Coyle's defense. I think the skill sets of certain players aren't being used to their maximum potential - mainly Dion Jordan and Randy Starks - while other guys like Olivier Vernon and Jared Odrick are being used in capacities that I don't agree with. I think both players are good, but both could be BETTER if used differently.

I think Coyle is trying to copy too much of what Mike Zimmer does in Cincinnati - building off sugaring the A gaps. I don't think Miami's personnel is best suited for that kind of defense. Just looking at the personnel, it's hard to tell what their plan actually is. There's a lot of 3-4 guys, yet Coyle's shifted to more of a truer 4-3 than he ran last year. The re-signing of Koa Misi and the continued use of Olivier Vernon are both stopgaps to Dion Jordan's growth - I think they may have been overly cautious with him as it relates to his shoulder injury - but even so, I don't think they're using him coming off the edge from an OLB spot as much as they should be; as you said, he's not a pure DE. I think they're so focused on generating pressure via the blitz (a symptom of Cam Wake being on the shelf...I hope) that I think they overthink things (much like Mike Sherman offensively) and don't let Jordan do what he does best: rush the QB.

I think you could use Jordan like the Broncos use Von Miller. I think as it relates to the whole front 7, they ought to be using the personnel in a fashion more closely related to Baltimore, Indianapolis, and Seattle rather than Cincinnati. However, they've depleted a lot of their interior depth with Marvin Austin being released and they're planning on releasing Vaughn Martin once he's recovered from his injury per Adam Caplan.

And then you get to what Alen touches upon in that Coyle doesn't seem to prepare all that well or make in-game adjustments all that well.

All those factors combined together, and seeing a clear plan becomes a pretty muddy picture.

P h i N s A N i T y and maynard like this.
  2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Thanks..

Something I'm looking at now and starting to put some pieces together when it comes to these oline issues, sack issues, and run game issues, is that we heard earlier in the season some whispers that we didn't really focus on the run game in camp, and later on that it was something were going to try and stress more to our players..

I'm sure the coaches had a plan, maybe it teetering on more of a passing game affected some things were seeing now, but even if we focused more on passing offense it surely didn't show up in pass protection..

I'm interested in how the coaches are stressing " fast start" to the players..and how that will look come Sunday.

3. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Bingo. I'm interested in that as well. If it's simply "we need to execute better" and there are no schematic changes, then I'm not sure I like Miami's odds to go on a run these final 11 games. The staff needs to execute better, if not more so, than the players do at this point, IMO.

As it relates to the run-game, I think Mike Pouncey hit the nail on the head a few weeks ago. Miami just doesn't do it enough. I think Miami abandons the run too quickly. In turn, when they go 3 and out or have short drives, it keeps Miami's defense on the field longer, and just like in the Baltimore game, they fell apart late in the game. It's cyclical, and I think the main parts of it are Sherman (plus Turner) and Coyle not having sound gameplans, schemes, and crapping the bed too early. The Q&A James Walker had with the scout on ESPN's AFC East Blog was pretty spot on IMO.

CD13 likes this.
  4. CD13

CD13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Vestal, NY
    I love his man crush on Tannehill, but perhaps the love is a bit too strong...we got to run the ball.

5. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Jerry's best season of his short career was 2012, such as it was.

6. MrClean

It seems apparent to me that Turner and Taylor came as sort of a package deal with Sherman. I'm wondering whether if one goes, they all go. If Sherman has better success over the next couple of years and decides to step down, their may be some long range plan that his son in law Taylor could be the next OC.

I think the main issue with the OL, is the personnel mostly are better suited for a man blocking scheme, not a zone. Pouncey can play well in any, but I wouldn't say the same about the rest. Richie is decent in zone, but much better in man blocking. I think it would help Jerry and Clabo run blocking though, the most. I do not blame Turner for this. Sherman's scheme calls for zone blocking, so they tell him to coach that. They give him the personnel to work with, such as it is.

maynard likes this.
  7. MrClean

I had the same concerns. Tony hired his kid too though after a couple of years, as a QC asst coach. Shula hired both his sons at one time or another as I recall. Doubt that David would have ever got a head coaching job had he not been the son of Don. We have a long history of hiring relatives on the Dolphins. The first head coach George Wilson had his own son as one of the QBs. He was a backup at first but ended up playing quite a bit toward the end of the first season, due to attrition and the quality of the competition at the position. It was George Jr's only season in the NFL, but he did start 66% of the wins that year. ;) (2 of the 3 total)

maynard likes this.
  8. MrClean

Philbin's long association with Sherman may make him reluctant to ever fire him. I agree with you though. I would not mind seeing Philbin take over the play calling duties next year either if Sherman goes. It works well for Mike McCarthy and Sean Payton.

9. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Even if not the play-calling, the design of the offense could use more of Philbin's touch.

MrClean likes this.
  10. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    This really irritates me, because it seems like this has been the same old story because of our coaching carousel. Maybe Satele isn't a great player and Pouncey is undeniably better, but we got rid of a guy that 'didn't fit our system' only to turn around and draft a guy in the first round with a similar physique in the first round just a few years later. Meanwhile Samson has managed to be a starter since. I don't know what the right answer is, but I don't like it, lol

MrClean likes this.
  11. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Most fans are oblivious to the coaching aspects of the game..... like they're not even there. In their imagination its all about the players and who has the best roster. Post 1 & 2 show us the difference in someone who see's the process ( football ) in its entirety, and one with tunnel vision. Also, ramming the same agenda down our throats is a result of having nothing worthy, knowledgable to share. Soooo old. I'm more dissapointed with coaching than anything so far this year.

12. dullfandan

dullfandan Active Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Charlotte N.C.
    Showing stats and % numbers on how quick tann gets rid of the ball tells me nothing.. We aren't a bad passing offense, most of our plays are short passes.. That's sherms style.. And a lotta the time we are running no huddle quick offense similar to the two min warning... That being said I think our line has under performed greatly but I have watched every play jes like the rest of y'all and real talk, tann holds on to the ball way too long... Forget his 6th in the league quickest release bs, that's cuz he stares down wr's and doesn't go thru his progressions very much.. He has been a one read qb so his release numbers should be up but when his read is covered he becomes a statue in the pocket.. The scramble against the ravens late was some sort of desperation shot and don't look for much of that again soon.. He is my fav dolphin, I'm rooting for him 100% but he has terrible pocket presence and stares down wr's... Yea our line hasn't giving him multiple read protection much but when they do he hesitates to pull the trigger... Watch he raven tape, he had lots of clean pockets.. Of course the pocket collapsed late but give credit to the raven d, clutch can be on the other side of the ball too you kno, not jes offense...

13. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Holy crap I had no idea. Good piece of info.

I don't know if you caught the Shula 'A Football Life' on NFLN, but I believe it was Dave that said getting into coaching and having a high knowledge of football was his best method to getting the attention and staying close to his father. It's a crazy lifestyle

MrClean likes this.
  14. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin Active Member

Jim Turners reminds a lot of Rick Trickett, the OL coach at FSU. Both are retired-marines and both teach the ZBS.

Point Blank; aside from Pouncy and to a smaller extent Martin, none of current OL belong in the ZBS. Cogs is too slow, Jerry too fat, and Claybo too damn old.

BTW:If Jim is replaced Rick Trickett is long rumored to want a change of environment.

15. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    lol yea I'm sure Turner is really holding back our star-studded offensive line.

16. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS

I wonder how much it helps with them being on the field and not up in a press box...