1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jimmy Wilson turning into a special player.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by A13OVEAVERAGE, Dec 12, 2013.

1. A13OVEAVERAGE

A13OVEAVERAGE Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Frostproof, FL
    http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/a...l-Player/1be7e95c-175e-4355-a1b4-9a5a1a53dd8b

I like what this guy brings to the team. I've always been high on him and Nolan Carroll. They both have had their ups and downs, but continue to grow and get better as players every week. One thing I love about Jimmy is his energy. He's always looking to make a big hit or a game changing play. I always catch him at least once every game in either the offensive, defensive, or special teams huddle trying to get everyone fired up. I'll always pull for anyone who is that passionate about what he's doing.

Larry Little and SICK like this.
  2. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Okay okay fine. I admit he has been playing well. Lol

3. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Prior to the PB game, Jimmy Wilson had given up only a 67.9 quarterback rating in coverage, which is 18th among all NFL corner backs that have played at least 25% of their team's snaps.

Nolan Carroll, another guy Dolphins fans love to hate on, was 14th with a 66.1 opposing quarterback rating.

Brent Grimes was 6th in the NFL with a 62.6 opposing quarterback rating.

Dimitri Patterson has only played 119 snaps and has only given up a 36.1 opposing quarterback rating, which is second among all corner backs in the NFL.

Coyles is getting great production from the DBs, with 2 of the top 10 guys and 2 others in the top 20.

Now if he can do something with Wheeler, Ellerbe, and Jones...

4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    The guy has been our nickel corner most of the season, he's been getting a ton of reps at that position and he's postin numbers like that, what's that number match up against the other slot corners Cooch?

He says that this year is different because he now gets all his class work done early in the week, says he now understands the route tree better.

Bpk likes this.
  5. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    And MISSED tackles... lol...

Per PFF, from their "had a bad day" segment: -

6. PlanB

PlanB New Member

Mar 6, 2013
    I knew Jimmy was special. A Play maker . I wasn't so sure about carol. 50/50 aint bad..............

7. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Dunno... would have to ask someone who pays for their stuff like CK. I only read the freebie stuff that varies from week to week.

They have this out now: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/12/11/sets-snaps-stats-week-14/

8. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    This improvement was Coyle's hallmark as the DB coach in Cincinnati. IMO, he deserves credit for Reggie Nelson's career renaissance. The big question I have is can these guys keep it up consistently through next season if they return (Carroll, Grimes, Patterson).

We saw a similar renaissance happen last year with Reshad Jones, who I think we'd all agree is having a pretty down year. Some of that is related to the scheme, some of it isn't. Him bouncing back (he's already been improving the past 4-5 games) to what he was in 2012 would be a pretty big testament to Coyle's abilities.

This coming from someone who does not like Coyle's scheme.

9. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    What don't you like about it?. My only dislike is that is soft over the short middle and against screens

Last year it was suspect but I've come to see it was due to players either not fitting or fully understanding their responsibilities.

10. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Think Coyle's schemes would look a lot better if Wheeler and Ellerbe actually played well in them and made the tackles they are supposed to.

11. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Coverage snaps per target he is 12th @ 6.3
    Yards allowed per coverage snap he has the 10th fewest @ 1.10
    Coverage snaps per reception he is 6th @ 11.0
    Out of 28 corners who've played at least 50% of snaps.

gunn34, cuchulainn and djphinfan like this.
  12. A13OVEAVERAGE

A13OVEAVERAGE Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Frostproof, FL
    I kinda wish Jelani would get some more playing time, subbing in and out with them for possible pass coverage like we've used Jordan on te's some. I think he's still a little rough right now but I think he's gonna end up being good. I thought Don Jones would be in some more too, but Clemons has been playing really good here lately. I like Jimmy in nickel situations.

cuchulainn likes this.
  13. MrClean

Currently among corners, Grimes has allowed the 4th lowest QB rating. 63.0
    Carroll has allowed 6th lowest. 64.2
    That is the best for a starting CB tandem in the league.
    I used to be pretty down on Carroll, but he has improved by leaps and bounds this year. Those two late critical PBUs against Pitt are evidence of his improvement and were as key to the win as anything. Now just maintain course Nolan Carroll.
    As far as I'm concerned, we need to resign both these guys barring the wheels falling completely off the last 3 games.
    Wilson has currently the 31st lowest QB rating allowed at 76. Out of 111 corners that is still in the top third.

14. MrClean

Ellerbe's coverage metrics are pretty good though. The 2nd lowest QB rating allowed into his coverage among all ILBs. His run defense pretty much blows.
    Wheeler is the 5th best pass rushing OLB, but pretty bad in all other measures.
    Misi is our best run defending LB and hardly sees the field in comparison.

gunn34 and cuchulainn like this.
  15. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    It's nice to see someone come into Miami and live up to their reputation. Cam Cameron was suppose to be a offensive guru yet the offense sucked under him, Saban was suppose to have a knack for the defensive backfield yet our corners struggled under him, Sparano was suppose to be an OL guy yet our line struggled.

16. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Have to say I agree with the article in some manner, that Jimmy Wilson has developed. Is he special? Not ready to label him that yet.
    Has he improved? Immensely
    Is he helping this defense? Absolutely.

When the draft came and went and Grimes was signed I for one thought Wilson was as good as gone same can be said with Carroll. Neither one had impressed me much in there first few years here. But, one thing about Coyle is he can make a secondary work with odd parts. Well, they have been our most improved unit bar none this season. Yes, I know Reshad Jones hasn't lived up to last year or his contract. But, we are making plays in the secondary.

This week is the biggest test to see if Wilson and Carroll have truly improved or if they have gotten by with some luck and effort. Brady is the type of QB who will find the weak link and attack it over and over again. Pretty sure he used to do that last year with Wilson guarding Welker.... Brady and Welker make many foolish but still. Also Carroll has been picked on quite a bit from Brady. Sunday is the test, the Pats receiving core is not special... I repeat is not special. My biggest fear is letting Edelman and Vereen beat us. I think with Edelman we can hold our own but Vereen gives me nightmares. I've heard we should mirror Jordan on him but don't believe Jordan can handle a scat-back like that. I am all for mirroring him with a DB though, Wheeler and Ellerbe will get eaten up.

But, love the progress Carroll and Wilson have made, if our rookies can develop year 2 and Grimes re-signs I think our secondary play can continue at a high level.

djphinfan likes this.
  17. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    He's a solid slot corner-back, but I'm not sure he's all that special. He's good enough to have the job, but not good enough that the team probably isn't going to try to unseat him pretty often.

If not Patterson this year, than Jamar Taylor next, and so on.

18. MrClean

Wilson is definitely good enough that he is pretty far down the list of primary concerns for where to upgrade. He is a top 10 slot corner. Sure you could maybe find better, but there are other positions where we aren't top 10.

19. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    most folks liked these guys when we drafted them, in particular Wilson ... who slid because of legal troubles (he was projected pretty high as far as talent went).

so, Wilson performing shouldn't be a surprise ... it just how long it has taken to get there -- whether that be coaching, maturity, etc ....

Carroll was no bum either .... but he just seemed peculiarly 'lost' since he's been here until this year ....

most of us thought that coaching was putrid during 'fat man's' tenure .... and i'm sure, just like Wilson - some of it was him as well ....

all that matters right now today is that they are both vastly improved and contributing .... and clearly the PHINS are better for it! Will make the offseason interesting ..... with Grimes, Wilson, Carroll and Clemons .... and 2 young guys that should also be much better next year to contribute in Taylor and Davis (maybe even Kovacs) ....

20. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Exactly. It comes down to player execution. We are horrible at linebacker, and it will blow your mind to look at how much money is tied up into this group over the next 3 years.

21. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Mr Clean bringing the stats. :theman:

MrClean likes this.
  22. MrClean

Wheeler and Ellerbe played much better overall last year than this. Hopefully they will improve their performances.

23. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    My main dislike is the way he's used or not used certain players. He's using Olivier Vernon as an outside edge defender, but it's essentially robbing Peter to pay Paul with respect to Cameron Wake having to play more on the interior as a 5/6 technique end when in reality, Wake, our best pass-rusher/pressure player, should be playing on the edge as often as possible and then some (part of that is the lack of interior D-line depth - there's none behind Odrick).

I don't like how often uses Koa Misi OFF the line of scrimmage, especially when he's the best run-defender of the 3 starting LBs. I believe coming out of the Indianapolis game in 2012, Miami had the NFL's best run defense and best ypc allowed average. Those numbers dipped a bit towards the end of the season when Starks started slumping and Koa Misi missed the end of the year. But man, they've been pretty bad this year. They're starting to look better as of late...but it should have been looking like this all season.

I think Dion Jordan's proved he's a very, very good player, but Miami doesn't seem inclined to try and use him in base packages other than as strictly a spot sub at DE (Dion Jordan's said in multiple interviews he prefers playing in a stand-up role). I think he's versatile enough to be a starting OLB in the capacity that Koa Misi was used more often in back in 2012, but you'd need a bigger 5 technique DE (think Red Bryant for Seattle or a 3-4 DE, like we had Odrick playing last year) to make it work. Olivier Vernon isn't that guy. The best candidate is Odrick, but he's clearly shown he's best suited to replace Randy Starks moving forward, so there's still a hole to be filled IMO. There's still a giant role that Olivier Vernon can plug himself into - much of that includes duties he's handled this year - but IMO, Miami could do better than having him as a starting DE in their base package (I think Vernon's still going to be playing as many, if not more snaps, than guys starting on the interior of the D-line; he's just not the best option for how they tried to use him initially. Unfortunately, Odrick's position shift is a plus, so it'd be a step backwards to move him back. They've made good use of rotating Derrick Shelby playing there, but they could do better).

Ellerbe and Wheeler's lackluster play has forced him to use Reshad Jones in a different capacity than last year, which is part of the reason he's not having as good of year as he did in 2012; he's had to play Jones off the LOS far more than he did last year. I certainly think he could make better use of the edge players we have, and I dislike that his run defense so predominantly fit based compared to how it was last year; especially with less physical linebackers in Ellerbe and Wheeler - there's certainly a disconnect there.

I don't like the fact that he uses so much A-Gap blitz pressure looks in base packages; he's gone away from this more since the Saints absolutely shredded this scheme, which means he's learning, but it's still putting players at a natural disadvantage with respect to some of the matchups that he's had Ellerbe and Wheeler take on in coverage (Sproles, Ray Rice, Tyler Eifert, Antonio Gates, etc.)

That said, I do like his use of sub packages and creative blitzes; that's one thing he's been dead on with as far as using Dion Jordan since the first Patriots game. I do like his coverage schemes, especially when he allows Reshad Jones to play with "Eagle" tendencies (think Polamalu's alignments in his prime), which he did far more in 2012. I like the fact that he's pretty much established a role for pretty much every player that dresses on game day as far as the defense goes. I like the fact he mixes his fronts; I just wish he'd do it more often - again, that's more of a personnel issue this year than it was last year.

I have to remind myself that this is only his second year as a defensive coordinator and he's going to have his growing pains, but man, some of these things should have been nipped in the bud WAY earlier, if not entirely. That concerns me. I hope that Miami addresses certain positions this offseason because I see the potential in the scheme - hell, I'd written some pretty glowing posts about this defense heading into this season. I think a lot of these issues were essentially glossed over as Miami was winning to start the season and had guys battling through injuries, but many of the issues are still prevalent.

To keep myself from going on even further, in summation, I think Coyle's a fantastic defensive backs coach and his overall philosophies are good. I think he's a suspect defensive coordinator just because his background doesn't include the front seven and he's trying to shape Miami's defense after Cincinnati's in the scheme that Mike Zimmer runs. Miami doesn't have that personnel, and he ought to be focused on what Seattle's doing as it relates to the front 7; Miami's personnel are more suited to that. I hope he sees that this offseason when they review and self-scout.

cuchulainn likes this.
  24. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Fair points. I haven't been entirely happy with the use of some players either, so we can agree on that.