1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joe Philbin addresses questionable decisions

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, Sep 25, 2012.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007

2. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    I do not agree Bush is the best back on the team and a play maker. That might be a deep position but Bush is the best chance atm to win a game between the group of backs.

Bpk likes this.
  3. krypto

krypto Banned

Sep 22, 2009
    That's the problem with sports. There's always a critic. Last year we were whining about our play calling being too conservative and now this year we try to take shots and people are still complaining. The first game against an elite team, we didn't allow a single td if it wasn't off a turnover within our own 50, we dismantled the Raiders, and it took a Reggie Bush injury/rookie coach play calling mistakes/2 botched fields goals for the Jets to win by 3 in OT...

I'm usually critical of the Dolphins but I'd say we are moving in the right direction.

DOLPHAN1, dolfan7171, Sippi and 16 others like this.
  4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    My thoughts on icing a kicker if Im a coach...Well, I'm not gonna play games with people during those kind of times, if its me, those are times where I'm gonna get my team hyped up,lined up, and tell them to go explode to the ball and try to make a play,..fu&$ playing games, and I'll tell why I say that, because if you follow my approach, you don't risk the small chance of blocking the kick.

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  5. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    He has nothing to address as far as I'm concerned. We went for the win. Good call Coach!

dolfan7171 likes this.
  6. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I've seen this brought up several times in the last few days. There's a difference between conservative and smart, just as there is aggressive and reckless. It's a fine line.

dont fumble likes this.
  7. NYFinFan

NYFinFan Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Long Island, New York
    You know what I like? He admits mistakes and re-evaluates his decisions and situations. He's learning and admits that, he isn't pig headed and set in his ways. I really like that he is our coach.

8. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    I don't really have any issues with how things went down. IMO, this loss is completely on carpenter. I hate to pin it on one guy like that but he's a former pro bowler, gotta make that kick.

CRAZYFACE likes this.
  9. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    ^^This. It's always questionable................unless it worked.

10. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yeah and the line is...did it work.

Aggressive is good and been sorely missed. Let's not bag the guy for being aggressive.

Bpk and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  11. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    hey guys whats up . i like Philbin and I hope he succeeds . i am disapointed in that we always get rid of players who are good fits in certain offenses then we dont replace the players with anyone better.

i would rather have Kendall Hunter and Ronnie Brown and have Javorski Lane and Lamar Miller and use a two back set I also wished we would have signed a bigtime tightend and a wr. but itdoesnt look like that will happen anytime soon but i will stay positive.

12. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Listen I agree I like Philbin so far I have a few issues but his ideas are solid. Im not blaming him for the loss there were SOOOOOO many IF's in that game. If Tannehill doesnt throw a pick 6, If Carpenter had hit ONE of the two missed field goals, If thomas wouldn't have fumbled, IF Matthews wouldn't have slipped allowing Holmes to get a first down, IF the defense would have caught an easy INT, If, IF , IF!! There are a ton of IF's and there is blame enough to go around. The offense was SO predictable. Suck it up we lost to the loser jets whos season is done now.. They are going to lose the next 3 games I believe easily and will be 2-4 as we will be 2-4 or 3-3 at the same time.

We have one more chance against them this year in NY so lets get better and continue to get some experience for our young QB. Next Year we HAVE to address the Wideout situation in a big way or this Kid's never going to get better.

13. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Matthews?

14. Dorfdad

Dec 9, 2007
    Sorry I meant to say Marshall I think I was still thinking about how GB got screwed last night!

15. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Can you imagine how we'd feel if the Dolphins would have gotten hosed like the Packers did? That was as bad a call as I've ever seen. Yet that game was full of bad calls both ways.

16. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    I dont think oveerall it was horrible play calling, just at times it seemed all pass or all run. Wish they mixed it up more there

17. krypto

krypto Banned

Sep 22, 2009
    I've see us lose MANY games due to conservative play calling so losing to aggressive play calling is a sign of hope. Lol

Bpk likes this.
  18. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    My thought on icing the kicker is that it doesn't work. There is enough data out there that proves does icing the kicker does nothing to prevent the kicker from making the kick.

19. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Anybody else notice that Philbin never really seems to give Reggie Bush that much credit? Last week when asked about Reggie he kept insisting it was a team effort and now this week he says Reggie Bush's absence didn't have much affect.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with Philbin, but would it be so terrible to say, "Yeah, he's a great player and losing him hurt." or "Yeah, he had a hell of a game." I just don't understand why he has to downplay it. Maybe he does this with every player and I'm just noticing it more with Reggie.

xphinfanx and Bpk like this.
  20. Dorfdad

Dec 9, 2007

Its the Whole TEAM mentality. Never give one player the credit or Ego they might deserve. No one man is better than the team as a whole. It's his philosophy.

21. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Icing the kicker is the stupidest thing that exists in Football.

mullingan and Ducken like this.
  22. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    My point was that the aggressiveness was unnecessary. There are times to be aggressive, like Tannehill's 40 yard bomb to Hartline. Then are times when you make the smart calls and just try to get your kicker in range. Running it three times (or even a short pass) on the Dolphins last series wouldn't have been conservative. It's the smart strategy there.

djphinfan likes this.
  23. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Philbin. Y U No Ice Dan Carpenter?

24. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It's situational though. As an offensive philosophy aggressiveness is great, but certain situations dictate otherwise.

25. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    My friend said it perfectly. Icing the kicker is as effective was trying to wave your arms to change the direction of the bowling ball.

I was more disappointed when I read that Philbin decided to ice the kicker before the season started. That means he did some research, saw it did nothing and the decided to still do it. I would feel better if it was just a split second decision.

26. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    The problem with evaluating the playcalling on this offense is that Tannehill has the authority to change plays based on pre-snap reads; and he's not holding back. It's hard to argue that we didn't call enough runs when your quarterback might have audibled out of run plays because he liked what he saw in coverage. Here's an interesting snippet from the article:

"The pass I called was a stick route in the flat, which we had completed earlier," Sherman said. "Ryan ended up giving a signal to the outside receiver to go vertical."
    (on the deep incomplete to Hartline in OT)

When you give your quarterback so much leash, he becomes part of the playcalling, too. It's tough to say we made the wrong call when we don't know if Tannehill tweaked that play due to the defense being all over the design; or because he simply liked the coverage on Hartline and, in a moment of rookie enthusiasm, didn't realize that there wasn't much point to scoring a TD over gaining 10 yards to make this an easy FG.

djphinfan and CrunchTime like this.
  27. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    I wonder when someone will pull a "fake icing". The Jets basically stopped playing even before the referee blew his whistle, so there's something to be said about pretending to ice and then not doing it while having your defense go into full blown block mode.

28. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Which could absolutely be true. To me, whether it's on Tannehill or Philbin is not the point. Either way it was a bad call to go for the end zone in that situation.

29. krypto

krypto Banned

Sep 22, 2009
    No offense bro, but I think the men on the field have a better feel for the game than those in the stands/behind tv's. Again, no offense.

30. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Right, but usually the time out used to do it isn't needed anyway, so there's nothing to lose.

Now, if the data showed that time outs in that situation lead to significantly MORE made field goals, then of course you wouldn't want to use one regardless.

31. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    if there is nothing to lose and nothing to gain, what is the point?

The data shows the difference between iced and uniced is at most 2% with it even being 2% better if there is less than 15 seconds remaining.

32. jsizzle

jsizzle Banned

Jan 3, 2012
    would it be "un" iced or "de" iced? :confused1:

33. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Has nothing to do with being on the field.

34. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    Yeah, and this would have been the perfect time for it, not only because the kick was blocked, but just the poetic beauty of doing it to the Jets like Marino's fake spike TD to Ingram.

35. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Good point. My personal belief is that it does more to disturb the kicker to have him expect a time out and then not call one. Then when he suddenly finds himself in the middle of a play that's unfolding without a whistle, he's sort of unprepared for it in a way.

36. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    At this point I agree with you. I think most kickers are expecting the timeout so they go through the motions with the first kick. They use it as a warm up.

It is almost like coaches don't watch any football games. They never notice that the kicker is practicing kicking once the offense goes on the field. All they are doing is giving him another practice swing in a full game pressure situation.

37. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    I agree. I have never been a kicker, but shooting free throws in basketball, the second shot always feels more comfortable. Not sure what the stats say, but I'd expect basketball players make a higher percentage of their second shots than of the first.

38. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Only time to ice a kicker is if the kicker is having second thoughts about being able to make the shot such as wet grass, to long of a kick, having a bad stretch of misses, kicking off the dirt, ect. Not a 30 yd chip shot.

Philbin is in a learning curve calling the shots he will get better.

39. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Philbin just doesn't seem like the type to ice the kicker to me.

The problem on our side is that we should have snapped the ball anyway and let Carp get a feel for it. Jets kicker adjusted his angle the second time

40. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    There is something to lose though. You give the kicker more time to evaluation the conditions. Usually the kicker has to rush onto the field size it up and kick. For one reason or another his team doesn't use a time out (usually because they don't have any). You're allowing the golfer more time to size the green up