Joe Philbin gave up on this game...

306 replies

TheHighExhaultedTheHighExhaultedForum VeteranOP
Sep 14, 2014, 09:45 PM

with 2:30 left in the first half and all three timeouts and he decided to essentially sit on the ball.

I know we weren't moving the ball at all in the first half but there was no excuse for that.

Anybody know why he did that?

PhinFan1968PhinFan1968Supporter
Sep 14, 2014, 09:47 PM

"TheHighExhaulted wrote:

with 2:30 left in the first half and all three timeouts and he decided to essentially sit on the ball.

I know we weren't moving the ball at all in the first half but there was no excuse for that.

Anybody know why he did that?

Based on Tannehill's comments, Philbin did that because the offense hadn't shown him enough to trust them in a 2 minute drive...then Tannehill was like, "I don't blame him."

Fkn cowardly decision in the first place...and where the hell did Tannehill check his balls? He's really lacking in confidence...they need to get his head straight and FAST.

Brian Flores when asked about tanking: “Again, no we’re not (tanking). We’re going to try to win every game. I think that’s disrespectful to even say that.”

:rimshot:

TheHighExhaultedTheHighExhaultedForum Veteran
Sep 14, 2014, 09:50 PM

"PhinFan1968 wrote:

Based on Tannehill's comments, Philbin did that because the offense hadn't shown him enough to trust them in a 2 minute drive...then Tannehill was like, "I don't blame him."

Fkn cowardly decision in the first place...and where the hell did Tannehill check his balls? He's really lacking in confidence...they need to get his head straight and FAST.

If this is true..

STRAIGHT LOSER TALK.

btfu149btfu149Forum Veteran
Sep 14, 2014, 09:52 PM

That series really pissed me off too, we had all three timeouts right? That was the only series all half we were moving the ball. It was completely gutless football.

vt_dolfanvt_dolfanSupporter
Sep 14, 2014, 09:53 PM

Yeh..would want Tannehill to be pissed that he didnt get a chance to score.

lol.can anyone imagine what Dan would have done?

"The more difficult the victory, the greater the happiness in winning"
Pele

finwinfinwinNew Member
Sep 14, 2014, 09:53 PM

They started moving the ball and would have probably gotten points. That continued in the second half. Philbin is the weakest link on this team. I put this loss on Special Teams, Philbin, Tannehill, and the OL in that order.

Sherif

TheHighExhaultedTheHighExhaultedForum Veteran
Sep 14, 2014, 09:54 PM

If that was the mindset going into that drive then forget it, this team has no business competing for an AFC East title.

PhinFan1968PhinFan1968Supporter
Sep 14, 2014, 09:59 PM

Anybody think Marino's in Ross' ear about today?

Brian Flores when asked about tanking: “Again, no we’re not (tanking). We’re going to try to win every game. I think that’s disrespectful to even say that.”

:rimshot:

Sep 14, 2014, 10:02 PM

"vt_dolfan wrote:

Yeh..would want Tannehill to be pissed that he didnt get a chance to score.

lol.can anyone imagine what Dan would have done?

What a sobering question. He would blow up at even the suggestion. Somehow, some people are actually defending this decision.

A coward's a coward and that's what Philbin coaches like.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

CashInFistCashInFistForum Veteran
Sep 14, 2014, 10:08 PM

"ckparrothead wrote:

What a sobering question. He would blow up at even the suggestion. Somehow, some people are actually defending this decision.

A coward's a coward and that's what Philbin coaches like.

Today is the first time I've ever wanted Matt Moore to start over Tannehill and wanted Philbin to just be gone. I'm embarrassed to be a Dolphins fan right now. That game was pathetic on every level.

TheHighExhaultedTheHighExhaultedForum Veteran
Sep 14, 2014, 10:10 PM

"ckparrothead wrote:

What a sobering question. He would blow up at even the suggestion. Somehow, some people are actually defending this decision.

A coward's a coward and that's what Philbin coaches like.

Absolutely. It was embarrassing.

LI phinfanLI phinfanSupporter
Sep 14, 2014, 10:11 PM

"ckparrothead wrote:

What a sobering question. He would blow up at even the suggestion. Somehow, some people are actually defending this decision.

A coward's a coward and that's what Philbin coaches like.

Haven't been that angry watching a Dolphin game in a long time. Spineless to not even take a shot. Went into the half with 3 time outs in his pocket. In that spot, even a few short passes could have got us going.....even a FG there would be huge. Nope. What exactly did we have to lose in that spot? We had to try to steal some momentum going in at the half. Scared Coaching at its best.

ARArodgers12Forum Veteran
Sep 14, 2014, 10:14 PM

You guys have a bye week before you play us. I honestly think Miami will beat us. It was a great win over the Jets but our D got sliced up by Geno.

pdajpdajForum Veteran
Sep 14, 2014, 10:14 PM

"ckparrothead wrote:

What a sobering question. He would blow up at even the suggestion. Somehow, some people are actually defending this decision.

A coward's a coward and that's what Philbin coaches like.

I've been a Philbin supporter, but I can't disagree with his decision enough. It was a 9-0 game. Once they reached the 50, they had a bout 10-15 seconds left. A completion down the field puts them in field goal range; and they're potentially going into the half 9-3.

PhinFan1968PhinFan1968Supporter
Sep 14, 2014, 10:15 PM

"Arodgers12 wrote:

You guys have a bye week before you play us. I honestly think Miami will beat us. It was a great win over the Jets but our D got sliced up by Geno.

Well Geno looks a LOT better than last year...at least the little I've seen. He could have a solid year.

Brian Flores when asked about tanking: “Again, no we’re not (tanking). We’re going to try to win every game. I think that’s disrespectful to even say that.”

:rimshot:

byroanbyroanAdministrator
Sep 14, 2014, 10:19 PM

8 seconds left in the half and the niners didnt even give up.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

MrCleanMrCleanSupporter
Sep 14, 2014, 10:22 PM

"vt_dolfan wrote:

Yeh..would want Tannehill to be pissed that he didnt get a chance to score.

lol.can anyone imagine what Dan would have done?

Does not matter what Dan would have done. Dan was a QB god. Ryan is still a wannabe.

“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”

― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Eop05Eop05Supporter
Sep 14, 2014, 10:23 PM

"byroan wrote:

8 seconds left in the half and the niners didnt even give up.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

A good chance Harbaugh will be coaching the Phins next year.

Funny how a poor RT doesn't completely cripple an offense that's well coached.

SceetoSceetoForum Veteran
Sep 14, 2014, 10:24 PM

"vt_dolfan wrote:

lol.can anyone imagine what Dan would have done?

He would have hit a f-----g open target. He could hit a non-open target. Are we actually comparing the two?

byroanbyroanAdministrator
Sep 14, 2014, 10:26 PM

"MrClean wrote:

Does not matter what Dan would have done. Dan was a QB god. Ryan is still a wannabe.

Not talking about on the field. Talking about on the sideline. Dan would not have been ok with his coach giving up at the 2:30 mark.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

LI phinfanLI phinfanSupporter
Sep 14, 2014, 10:27 PM

"Sceeto wrote:

He would have hit a f-----g open target. He could hit a non-open target. Are we actually comparing the two?

I think they are talking about Marino's reaction to sitting on the ball if he were QBing......not comparing their abilities.

SceetoSceetoForum Veteran
Sep 14, 2014, 10:35 PM

"LI phinfan wrote:

I think they are talking about Marino's reaction to sitting on the ball if he were QBing......not comparing their abilities.

I understood. My point is a coach would never do that because Dan is one of the greatest QBs of all time and I'm sure any coach would feel a lot more confident with Danny at the helm. He's proven himself time and time again. Tanne was lost and floundering. Big difference. Not worth mentioning.

finwinfinwinNew Member
Sep 14, 2014, 10:39 PM

I understand not throwing the ball when you started at the 15. But to run out the clock when you got to 40 is poor leadership.

Sherif

shula_guyshula_guyNew Member
Sep 14, 2014, 10:53 PM

As far as I am concerned philbin ran out his own game clock with me. I have seen enough to know he is not the right guy to rely on to build a winning team.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."

Frederic Bastiat

Sep 14, 2014, 10:53 PM

"PhinFan1968 wrote:

Based on Tannehill's comments, Philbin did that because the offense hadn't shown him enough to trust them in a 2 minute drive...then Tannehill was like, "I don't blame him."

Fkn cowardly decision in the first place...and where the hell did Tannehill check his balls? He's really lacking in confidence...they need to get his head straight and FAST.

So to interpret this dialogue into the bluntest terms possible: (no media sugarcoating)

Philbin;
"Tannehill go sit on the ball, you guys have been lousy and I don't trust you won't go and make things even worse"

Tannehill:
"Good call coach, your right, me and the offense suck donkey nuts" :knucks:

Mentally this team never had a chance to win. Buffalo defense probably got a boost from this too... they knew Philbin/Miami was scared of them.
If you go down, go down swinging, not running in the opposite direction.