1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joe Philbin on Sirius

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Paul 13, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    They had him on weekly this year with Schein and Gannon. This week's segment was the only one that I heard. It was interesting and I wish I could remember everything, but here's my attempt at summarizing what was said:

He said Ryan Tannehill has improved all season and what really stands out to him is his decision making. He rarely throws into double/triple coverage.

He was asked what surprised him this year about Tannehill. He recalls the Texans game, that moment in the 2nd quarter where things went downhill fast. When Tannehill came to the sideline he knew what he'd done wrong on an interception. He was his own coach at that point. Dissecting what the defense had shown him and where he made the wrong play. First game of the season.

He knows they need to get better at scoring points offensively. He knows they need to upgrade at wide receiver but of course said that's not the only area that needs to get better.

He was asked about the first Pats game and what they learned and how does it transform to this weekend. The announcers said that the Dolphins played well. He agreed. He said we made a couple of mistakes that really cost us (two special teams plays). Said the tape doesn't lie though and that we saw we could play with them. That we should come into the game with some measure of confidence. Got to score touchdowns when you have opportunities against a team that can score like NE. Three field goals and one touchdown isn't acceptable. We installed the red zone plays today offensively and defensively. He said that's the key. The Pats have the #1 red zone offense. he said we have the #1 red zone defense, so it'll be a great matchup.

He was asked what he learned about being a head coach this year that he wasn't expecting. He said there are a multitude of decisions that you make that affect everyone in the building. Small things. Scheduling things. Is this a snack break or not? Do you like this room designed this way... fixtures.... He wasn't ready for that I guess. Said being a position coach or even a coordinator, you just have to focus on your area / players.

They both thanked one another at the end of the interview for a great time this year and then Joe hoped it was the start of a very lengthy relationship. :up:

RoninFin4, dolfan7171, SeanP and 23 others like this.
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The side decision stuff coming as a surprise is a product of both Philbin's background and personality.

He's not been a head man before, and he does not naturally like to control the small stuff.

Philbin is sort of the Anti Saban.

dolfan7171, oakelmpine and Paul 13 like this.
  3. gandalfin

gandalfin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Kissimmee, Florida
    Heard that a little while ago. Good summary, you pretty much covered it all. I've been able to catch many of Joe's interviews this year with Schein and Gannon. He always does a good job, and sometimes his dry sense of humor comes through. I also have a much better opinion of Schein than I used to. Any comments about the Dolphins have been pretty balanced, and he often has positive things to say about the team. Gannon as well.

Paul 13 likes this.
  4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Y so Sirius?

Bpk and Zippy like this.
  5. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    I really hope Phibin is the one, I really like him. He doesnt seem like a flash in teh pan, like a gimmick coach. I know that is not right, just not sure how to say it. He isnt a catchy phrse or a metaphorical display to motivate type coach, he is just a coach, he communicates, gets to know players one on one and finds what makes them tick, is committed but flexible.

I cant really explain what it is, I just really like his approach to the game.

6. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    surely

7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    He reminds me a bit of Tony Dungy in his approach, I don't see him as a screamer (ala Sparano) or a cold fish (Lil Nicky) but as a tough but fair HC.

8. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I would call him structured. He knows what's important. He seems like he has a good read on people. He seems very smart but he won't make you feel stupid (unlike Saban or Sparano). He doesn't need to be the smartest guy in the room. He has a good aura about him. But I also think he's still learning to be a head coach. Having ST coach Darren Rizzi on the sideline as sort of his #2 (he reminds him of certain things during the game) is a credit to the both of them.

Well this is just turning into the Philbin love fest.

dolfan7171, Rocky Raccoon and Bpk like this.
  9. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio

I agree but I also believe that Philbins comments on what suprised him or what he didnt expect, says that he isnt afraid to admit he didnt have all teh answers and that he is learning himself. I liked Sparano but think he got too caught up in not wanting to appear like he didnt know, he didnt have flexibility, couldnt adapt.

I just think Philbin gets what the role of teh HC is

Paul 13 likes this.
  10. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009

He is. And don't call him Shirley

11. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    For a second I thought Pods was talkin' about his various types of women. :lol:

12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I thought I made that facebook page private?

:shifty:

13. The Rev

The Rev Totus Tuus Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box Club Member

Quick question, since I recently bought a car with Sirius XM radio, what channel was this on?

14. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    should be channel 88.

The Rev likes this.
  15. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    At your age, was that a Sirus radio or was it a Jitterbug?:tongue2:

16. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Ive listened to alot of Joe's spots this year on Sirius. He's very open as usual with his interviews, and I think Schein and Gannon do a pretty good job with their questions too. Hope Joe is back on next year as well. Always nice to get some inside scoop on your team from the head coach.

Paul 13 likes this.
  17. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Would be nice if they archived his interviews... I mean they charge us enough for the subscription.

18. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Philbin said he knows they need to upgrade the WR position. This should be news to everyone that thought we didn't have a #1 WR because Philbin wanted it that way. I knew that was bull. lol

RoninFin4, dolfan7171 and Paul 13 like this.