1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joe Philbin Says Everyone Starts With A Blank Slate

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Onehondo, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    dolfan7171 likes this.
  2. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Why did this writere have to throw out Irelands name when he was talking about the coach and players? Just another jab. Poor reporting at it's finest.

3. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Did anyone else read blank slate as "blank stare"?

4. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    It was just another jab from PFT, but it was also the same idiot thinking that many of our fellow fans entertain. Philbin is smart for trying to explain what you should expect, but most fans won't listen. They'll harp on how we haven't won a SB in 30 years or say Ireland has been the GM for 4 years even if he never had the final say. An unemotional person would understand that Philbin is bringing in a new system and that will require different types of players in some areas. Roster turnover is inevitable. Philbin is saying he will build through the draft and that will take time. But fans are generally and by definition, emotional. They'll point to a team that turned around quickly and that will be the expectation even though it isn't the norm. Maybe Philbin will get lucky and a large percentage of the players will fit and get his system, but if that doesn't happen, it doesn't mean he's failed. It could just mean that the team is following the most common progression.

SICK, Bulldog, dolfan7171 and 6 others like this.
  5. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Wow, really taking the Ireland defense to the next level now. Whether you agree or not, the statement on Ireland holds truth. If Philbin struggles in year one, it will be difficult to diagnose whether it's his coaching / scheme or problems from a talent perspective. It's one of the reasons lots of coaches want personnel power or at least a say in who the GM is they're going to be working with. And one of the reasons some coaches had no interest in coaching here.

6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Its not that hard to tell the difference between bad talent and bad coaching.

7. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    From what I hear from most fans, I would have to disagree. Most fans just look at the won/loss record and decide that all the players are great or suck. The ones who think they're knowledgable, pull out a bunch of stat comparisons to reach the same end. Reality is that the fit between a player and a system matters. The coaching and the talent could both have their good and bad points, but to fans it will all look bad if they don't match up.

Aquafin, Bulldog and Fin D like this.
  8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Quote from Joe Philbin on how their gonna use Reggie Bush..

"Well, we're not just gonna hand him the ball"

Thought that was pretty funny..

GMJohnson, SICK and dolfan7171 like this.
  9. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    What you just typed supports the point in the article that just a few post up you called "idiotic". I agree the fit between a player and system does matter. That's why it might be difficult to tell if Philbin is doing a poor job of coaching, or if Ireland isn't doing a good job of finding players to fit the system.

10. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    The Dolphins and Tim Tebow dominate that website.

11. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007

12. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't see how. In the first post I stated that it was idiotic thinking to not give Philbin time. In the post you just responded to, I stated that fans can't tell whether it's coaching or talent b/c they don't or can't consider the fit between the player and the system. I don't see those as contradictory.

13. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY

14. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007

15. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    one of my first posts on the 2012 Dolphins:

1) was that this was the year to secure a Franchise QB, which I believe they will do in the first round
    2) the second was this season will be all about coaching. we have the talent, the coaching cadre has to do their job.

I think this is going to be a very interesting year :yes:

16. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Well I agree that it would be idiotic thinking to not give Philbin time. There is only one reference to Ireland in the article, unless I missed something that Gunn mentioned -

I don't think it's necessarily stating that Philbin doesn't deserve time, just that it's going to be difficult to determine where the blame should lie considering part of the failed regime is still intact. I think regardless if you support Ireland or not, it's hard to argue the logic.

17. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY

18. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    True, however even if Polian did a great job the Colts would be pretty sucky without Manning. Unless the cheap back up was able to really step up. Manning had an amazingly high cap hit.

19. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think they're saying that they won't give the franchise a blank slate. They're saying he may deserve it, but the fans may not give it to him due to the results the last two years.

20. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    ........ especially Morris Claiborne.

:shifty:

21. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I guess there are different ways to interpret. I don't think the fans should give the franchise a blank slate but we should absolutely give Philbin time. Where the issue comes in is what if it's determined that Jeff Ireland is a part of the problem? Not by us as fans, but by Ross. This is just hypothetical so no need for anyone to get defensive. Then let's say another GM is brought in. The struggles continue. Now whose fault is it? New GM should get a learning curve, but is there a problem with the coach?

Makes it so easy to analyze a regime if the coach and GM come as a package. I think that's why many thought Ireland should have been gone with Sparano.

22. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Hilarious.

I imagine Sparano & co aren't amused though.

23. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Except that much of the basis for that belief was based on years when Parcells had final say. Ireland has flaws and I've certainly criticized him but I'm not going to give him just one year as true GM after Parcells left and decide on that. Fans often do, but they tend to be simplistic. Ross, who had more info, and was not being as simplistic, clearly determined that Ireland was not part of the problem. That will be determined in time, but the point of the article is that fans won't give him that time. They'll be looking at the last several years.

Fin D likes this.
  24. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I see your side of it. Mine as has been stated is that if we're going with the assumption that Parcells' regime was a failure, why keep people who were clearly brought in that would support his plan? Why should we assume Ireland is suddenly going to change his colors.

I also believe Ross kept Ireland not out of patience, but out of comfort. Besides Peterson, Ireland is the only real football guy Ross has to lean on.

I honestly believe that by the time this all shakes out, the better service to both Ireland and this team would have been to let him go with Sparano. Ireland was still hire-able at that point. If this year is another disaster, and Ireland has what is perceived to be a weak draft, with everything said about him during this offseason, fair or not, he'll have a tough time finding work. Definitely at the GM level.