1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joe Philbin

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by slickj101, Nov 20, 2013.

1. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I think a lot has been assumed by people on here about his personality and if he has the kind of charisma or personality etc to lead a team.

Did anyone else catch that little piece of his victory speech after the SD game? He said something to the effect of, "you went out and did what you had to do with all the distractions in the world on you." I only caught a second of the ad for the show and idk if they had a longer version.

Wasn't really what he said, but if you saw it I bet you've never really seen Philbin that fired up and speaking w that kind of tone before. I was pleasantly surprised and it makes me think the kind of quiet, no-reaction, stereotype people are fitting him with is probably unfair.

Jury is still out.

MrClean likes this.
  2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I would agree that copious victory speeches make great coaches.

3. JdReimon

JdReimon New Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Dominican Republic
    [video]http://www.miamidolphins.com/multimedia/videos/Coach-Philbins-Post-Game-Locker-Room-Speech-vs-SD/3918fcef-3d57-471a-b5fc-9f422d3bc3e7[/video]

Not working for me though, seems to be a problem with the player

slickj101 likes this.
  4. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Said Mike Tomlin.

Again, I just like to see different aspects to Philbin instead of the monotone personality that he seems to put on for the media.

5. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I'm not giving up on Philbin like a lot of people are. We overachieved last year with him. I'm willing to give him more time because A. I still believe in him and B. I don't believe in hitting the reset button after 2 years. Especially when the first year featured a raw rookie QB and minimal weapons.

RevRick and the 23rd like this.
  6. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Players have said time and time again that the Philbin they see is a lot more engaging and humorous then the one you see at a PC.

I blame the media for that.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  7. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Wouldn't expect anything less from the official site.

8. Jakob

Jakob New Member

Nov 19, 2013
    From the perspective of someone outside the fan base. Get a proven coach who can win close games. You lost by three to the Ravens, two to the and three to the Bucs... You would be 8-2 and leading the division instead of 5-5 and maybe missing the playoffs.

9. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    We also beat the Colts, Falcons and Chargers by 4. And the Bengals by 2. We win a lot of close games. Almost every game we play comes down to the last possesion.

the 23rd likes this.
  10. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't really care about how charismatic or fired up he can or can't be when the team has come out flat so many times, or has so many other coaching-related issues.

Serpico Jones and bakedmatt like this.
  11. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Coming out flat contains certain things Philbin can't control, like WRs dropping the ball or falling down.

The being unprepared or suspect OC play-calling is way more concerning to me.

bakedmatt likes this.
  12. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Agree that the jury is still out. Disagree with judging a coach on a locker room speech. I love locker room speeches too after a win, but it has zero bearing on whether a guy can cut it as a coach. Remember when fans here got all fired up over that bull**** Tony Sparano Gladiator speech to kick off the 2011 season?

MikeHoncho likes this.
  13. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Nice but if hes found to have been involved in the "toughen up Martin" Fiasco hes gone. Ross can't hang on to him as it would be an albatross around the neck of the team for years.

14. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    To me, the more impressive part about that speech was that Philbin used the word "we" multiple times and you can see players nodding their heads agreeing in the background. That's not a coach that's lost the team, that's a guy saying, "It's us against the world right now and you're kicking the world's ***!"

I think that what few people here realize is that this whole Martin ordeal has enveloped each Dolphin player's entire life, both on and off the field. The media is attacking these guys like they're royalty and with all the fingers pointing across the US, it has to be almost impossible to have a normal team meeting or practice. The dysfunction showed against Tampa and that should have been expected...these are athletes, not super heroes.

Then there's Philbin and the rest of the coaching staff that's having their names dragged through the mud as well, and we don't even know if ANYTHING happened to Martin at all. A "me first" type of coach (think Rex Ryan) would have been out in front of the cameras selling circus tickets for something like this, but Philbin hasn't said a single word for the benefit of everyone involved...which includes players, coaches, fans and all the swirling media. He's stayed professional, refused to defend himself and allowed things to unfold naturally.

In my book, that's one hell of a leader and a guy that I'd want in charge of my players. That's also why Ross has backed him 100% throughout this process, so don't believe all this media-driven hype that means absolutely nothing.

15. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Philbin's words mean nothing to me. I don't care if he's ra-ra, stoic, whatever. I just believe him to be a poor coach, a poor decision maker, and unable to adapt.

16. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Toughening players up has been part of NFL culture since it's inception and we even have Rex Ryan on video essentially counselling this very thing. Besides, this story no longer carries the weight and impact it did even a week ago.

The outlier in this situation is Martin...not Incognito. Incognito is turd not unlike many on every NFL team. What is uncommon is to have a player pull the publicity stunt that Martin did and drag his entire organization through the mud. That's the aspect that's rarely discussed but as you may note, it wasn't lost on Incognito's representatives.

As for Philbin, I find his public persona to be slightly more animated than Belichick. I think people are perceiving things about the man that we quite frankly know nothing about. As for his performance, like the team, it's middling. He is steering the team through the darkest period in its history in a calm and accountable manner. He has not blamed one other person for what has occurred. Last year we were 7-9 and this year we'll be 8-8 or 9-7. Not the progress many were demanding but it's progress nonetheless.

Certainly no reason to clean house.

slickj101 likes this.
  17. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    This, 100%.

18. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Coaches are like CEOs. You may not like this aspect or that aspect of his personality or performance. Coaches like CEOs have to be judged by the bottom line. For CEOs, it's share price and for coaches it's wins.

Even if we only go 8-8, we are still ticking upward but maybe just not as quickly as some would like. You never know when the big uptick will come. Next year we could be 11-5 or 12-4 and all is forgotten. I'd say he'd be at risk if we were looking at a 4 or 5 win season. Hell even Schwartz survived last season in Detroit with the likes of Stafford, Johnson and Suh on his roster. Just sayin.