1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joey Porter finally speaks

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Nov 13, 2009.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Joey Porter finally speaks
    http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...sweblog+(Miami+Dolphins+|+Sun-Sentinel+Blogs)

Joey Porter finally discusses his 0-fer at New England
    http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2009/11/12/dolphins-linebacker-joey-porter/

Joey Porter stifled, looking for spark
    http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/story/1330819.html

2. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    He has been disappointing this year. Less talk more work would make fans happy. I say it's time to see what the young guys have to offer.

3. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Problem is, we don't have ypung guys waiting behind him to speak of.....

Bpk and Miguel like this.
  4. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    I'll let that resonate and perculate as I take you to the following highlight.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8140e13a/NFL-GameDay-Dolphins-vs-Patriots

Let's go to 00:40 in the video and look at Ricky Williams and Anthony Fasano. That's Banta-Cain rushing the passer right in front of them. Now let me say this about our offensive staff. They either had too much respect for Ricky Williams blocking ability or the had too little respect for Banta-Cain's pass rush ability. That is one possibility. I think the more informative comment would be that the Miami offensive staff gave MORE respect to the man aligned inside Jake Long. That man is the behemoth Vince Wilfork. In any event, this is a back and a TE blocking a pass rusher and the pass rusher wins. He wins with alot of help from the behemoth's alignment inside of him because the offensive staff has to account for the behemoth. I would give the behemoth just as much credit for the sack/fumble as I would Banta-Cain.

Now you do not have to go far in the video to find Joey Porter and you do not have to go far to find that this is a TEAM game. It's the next play at 1:04. That's pro bowl TE Ben Watson coming in motion. As you will notice, his assignment is to chip the defensive end (Porter). Only then after the chip will Porter be able to rush "the rookie" offensive tackle. Another thing you will notice (if you watch the clock) is that the ball was out of the quarterbacks hand in UNDER 3 seconds.

The uninformed may attempt to tell you that this is the same 2 for 1 trade. I will tell you that it is not. One guy is blocked by Ricky Williams and Anthony Fasano. The other guy is blocked by TWO offensive linemen. I may have to remind some of you that a TE is a lineman.

Now let's go back to the video an look what's happening inside Banta-Cain and Porter. You will notice that Vince Wilfork is being blocked by Jake Long and Justin Smiley. Now let's take a look at the Porter play. There you have three other defensive linemen and Jason Taylor. Now Jason Taylor receives a pass because his movements are all based upon the movement of the running back. And we blitz Yeremiah Bell so that takes up the offensive tackle on the other side. So what's left? Well if you know this game then you know that this play (and many others during this game) was left up to the three in the interior to get to the quarterback. They are in a one on one matchup. One on one matchups that they are paid to win. I ask you. Did they win?

Fast forward to 2:45 in the video. You can look across the Patriots offensive line and see the matchups. We are bringing a rusher to account for every one of them. The chump (as a blocker) on the line is the TE. Jason Taylor has his hand in the dirt rushing the passer. The safety behind JT covers the TE if he releases for pass. In what position does Jason Taylor wind up rushing a TE?

Let's look at the clock again on this particular play. The ball is snapped at 2:46 on the video clock. The ball is out on 2:49 on the video clock. This is the reason for the crossing routes. The ball has to be out in 3 seconds. They have not allocated MAX protection for the quarterback. The secondary must cover for 3 seconds! Is this too much to ask?

What I have attempted to do here in this thread and in other posts is to reason how Joey Porter was schemed out of this game. What the highlight reels from this game will show you is that you can be a defensive stud and still be taken out of the game. It is on that occassion that the rest of your defensive teammates will benefit from your play. It is a team game.

I heard Porters comments before the game. I do not think a damn thing was untrue. I've seen the writers mention the statistics on the Patriots scoreboard. I've seen the writers bait the fact that Porter hasn't talked to the media since the game although he evidently spoke to one. The one that got the only quote after the game.

The thing I have not seen is a knowledgable fan base step up to the defense of really poor journalism. I just take a look at the words of Brig. Gen. Barnard Elliott Bee, Jr. quoted above and think to myself -

"You just fell on the sword dude because it seems that nobody followed."

......................and that is a damn shame.

Disnardo, GISH, dolfan7171 and 2 others like this.
  5. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    can you say: Cameron Wake?:yes:

dolfan7171 likes this.
  6. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    I can!!!!
    Wake...57 defensive reps,4 sacks,2 QB hits,3 QB pressures
    Porter..378 defensive reps,3sacks,3 QB hits,8QB pressures :no:

7. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Yea because Porter rushes the QB every snap right? Never drops into coverage?

Wake isn't playing because all he can do is rush the passer. Can't play against the run or go into coverage. That's what Sparano has said.

dolfan7171 and GridIronKing34 like this.
  8. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Perhaps somekind of EarthWake?

9. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

from the article

10. Miguel

Miguel The smartest Man on earth

cameron wake

11. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    nobody else thought the title of this thread was hilarious? :lol:

12. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    If Joey Porter can be completely shut down by a TE chipping him, and a rookie OT, then he is not elite anymore. Making one play per month is unacceptable. We need someone who can play as a complete OLB.

Bpk likes this.
  13. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    You can't have it both ways. If you count a tight end as a lineman when blocking Porter then you have to do the same and say that Banta Cain was blocked by one lineman and one runningback.

14. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Cameron Wake.
    Cameron Wake.
    Cameron Wake.

15. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I heard on TV that after the game ended they had Joey's name and stats 0 tackles 0 sacks on the scoreboard for everyone to see. Humiliating, whew, but I guess that comes with the territory after talking like he did and doing nothing. I think Joey is playing his last season here to be frank.

16. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

I wish he wouldn't.........speak

Just shut up and play.

jetssuck likes this.
  17. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I disagree, i want him on the field, why, because he knows he has to play well... Its a pivitol moment for Mr. Porter and us fans..... plus, we may make a 2nd half run....

18. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Occam's razor... shortest and most obvious answer is usually right.

While I appreciate the analysis, it's a lot of explaining to try to defend Porter.

What my eyes have seen all year is a guy who can be blocked one on one a lot of the time. Who never gets off blocks to make tackles in the run game. Who lacks an explosive step around the edge right now (injury?). Who lacks the power to get and push against blockers.

I just see a guy playing at an average to below average level out there.

I respectfully disagree that he is creating more opportunities for his teammates.

That said, when healthy he is better than our other players. he needs a few weeks rest to get his knees and hamstrings 100% so he has some pop back in those legs.

jetssuck likes this.
  19. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Wow thats pretty crappy of POrter I didnt think it was this bad.. I don't get the coaching staff's strategy on wake they say he's not good in coverage. Well tell me who on that line is???

Put wake in let him learn the game so next year he is the STARTER. Joey is obviously hurt or not 100% so rest him and let let him play real talent and learn not like were playoff bound anyway.