1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Clayton predicts AFC East wins total

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by finyank13, Jun 19, 2012.

1. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    How is TE an upgrade? Cuz CK or Boomer or Con liked him coming out of college? Same with RT? I am giving deference to Marshall over Bush because Marshall has already had multiple 1000K yard seasons, and did it by himself as "the man", last year was Bush's first, with a Top 10 wideout on the team....like you said a while back it is all speculation, it will be interesting to see how Bush reacts being truly the main guy for the first time in his career with all of the attention from opposing DC's directed squarely at him....as he is for sure the best offensive weapon they have in all of the positions...

This is where the new system comes into play though D, if Miami can master this new system sooner rather than later, then it is going to go along way in helping the offense evolve into spreading out the wealth so to speak, because if it is just a Bush heavy offense, 4-12 is a real possibility..

Coral Reefer likes this.
  2. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Of course Marshall can be replaced.
    We just don't have anyone at the same talent level on our roster currently and that's a fact.
    Maybe Ocho can revive his career and be a similar threat but he hasn't shown anything in recent years to believe that will be the case.

More importantly, the person you responded to never posted any of what you just stated he did.
    You went out of your way to negate his point by embellishing what he actually said into an absurdity.
    Use as much tact discussing sports as politics.

3. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Agreed....... :shifty:

PSG likes this.
  4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I see. So draft picks used on an area of need aren't allowed to be considered an upgrade on paper. Awesome. Fine.

Do you think we'll be better at QB? yes or no
    Do you think we'll be better on the OL? Yes or no
    Do you think we'll be better at RB? Yes or no

5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yawn.

6. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Deepest thought you've added the whole thread.

7. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    I was as happy as anyone when we got Marshall but after watching him on the field run out of bounds instead of taking the open endzone punt the football trash talk multiple QB's argue in the game ect I believe this team as a whole will be better off. The chance to spread the ball just improved. If no one steps up guess what we will find new play makers.

gafinfan likes this.
  8. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Feel better?

9. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    It's not a question of whether he was a headache.
    He was.
    Or whether it was a good move to get rid of him for some return value.
    It was.

Regardless of his personal issues he still had a talent level that no one else has on our WR staff.
    Because of that the WR crew is weaker overall.
    Don't know why stating that fact turns into a couple people turning this into a childish "your a Marshall lover" tantrum.

10. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Nice to know you care about how I feel.

Thank you.

Big hug!

11. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Is 2009 recent?

12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Why I think we will be better, because I think the final 9 games last year is a more true indicative of what type of team we have, now you take that same team and from a leadership standpoint, there was no coach who had enough respect to get them to train in the offseason appropriately, and you flip that to what we know this offseason and I think you'll have a more in shape team playing to their potential..

Everyone forgets that no one really wanted to play the dolphins in the whole 2nd half if the season, they weren't just a tough out, they were one if the better teams in the league throughout the whole 2nd half, to now know our guys will have to be in shape, and that there is a 100 percent attendance in the offseason program, I feel pretty good about betting some money that they will be a better team than last year.

13. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Brandon Marshall was an overrated player when he got here, majority was saying he was top 5, for which I had many debates on, he left us absolutely not being a top 5 receiver, not a top top ten receiver either, his salary was way to much relative to what he was doing for us from an offensive standpoint, and he didn't require the double teams that some think he did..really his production imo was based on the ball being thrown to him so many times, and for that rep count, I could find 15 receivers in the league who could of given me that same production with that amount of passes thrown to..

If you would of told me that I could trade him for two third round picks, I would of made the deal, and if it was me, I would of walked away with Sanu and Wylie, with a smile on my face.

gafinfan likes this.
  14. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    No I didn't say that, I just think it is irrelevant.....the "on paper" argument...I just know you cant count the "unprovens" as proven until they actually do it, and just simply cast away the provens and say we can easily make up for their absence...

Ahhhhhh IMO I would say QB was in a better place last year slightly than this (remember before Moore was found off the scrap heap Henne was doing well), OL I would say yes because ANYBODY is better than Carey, and RB will be better this year if Thomas pulls his skirt up....

Case in point to D on Thomas, last year 2nd rounder, immediately makes them better in an area of need on paper....well he sucked...

And lets face it, Miami's track record of early round draft picks of need is somewhat telling and the reason they are in this predicament no?

15. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    And why was that?

16. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Sure, they probably will be less talented. That doesn't necessarily mean they will be less efficient, or less productive. Certainly I think the offense will be better off without Marshall barking in the QBs ear consistently, or making coaches want to leave. Sometimes you can add by subtracting, and this is likely one of those cases IMO.

Ducken likes this.
  17. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007

If you can't say a draft pick is going to be an upgrade on paper, then how in the hell is it possible to draft anyone? Might as well draw a name from a hat.

Look, this is all speculation. You cannot say we can't speculate in a thread about speculation. Hell everything you're saying is a speculation its just negative where as mine is more positive.

Miami's track record for drafting is not the same since Parcells left, please don't start that conversation.

However, i can easily disregard 1100 yrds and 6 TDs. That's what Marshall was. This all world talent did nothing for us other than that. That production can be replaced.

finyank13 likes this.
  18. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    what coach did marshall "make" leave?

19. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Right and I agree on the speculation part of it my sexy bedtime story reading partner.....but Miami hasnt done anything in my opinion the past few years to warrant positivity from its fanbase....the only thing I am really excited about this year besides obviously watching them play as always, is Tannenhill.....

As we all know if they hit on him, then everything else falls into place....and I can pee on Patriot fans cars...

20. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    The ole, prove the world ain't square debate? C'mon dude. Half the reason to turn on a Dolphin game last year, was to see him play. Chris Chambers ONCE had an 1100 yard season.OJ Mcduffie ONCE 1050 yds. Paul Warfield, ONCE 1067 yds (with the Browns).

Yeah, 1,000 yd WRs are real easy to come by in Miami. (short of duper and clayton who had you know who throwing to them.)

Brandon Marshall, 2 seasons...two 1,000+ yd seasons in the non-Marino era.

I like your, "but did we win the Super Bowl with him???" stance; But this conversation, like your karate, is a joke.

21. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    hmm I am missing something, off to the other site...

22. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    The yards and TDS' he produced, relative to the attempts, to me was not on par to what he was perceived as a player coming in to our team, and, what he was getting paid, that's why I say he was overrated, basically, if you account all things Brandon Marshall brought to our team, positive and negative, I'll take two third round picks for that in any draft..The only thing bad about that, is that Ireland didn't take the players I wanted.

I would take easy ten other receivers for him strait up.

23. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    wow....

24. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Its a karate kid reference.

finyank13 likes this.
  25. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007

And all of 9 tds over 2 years. 9, Seth. All of those players did that on teams that had other players to take production away from them. Chambers for example, had about the same yards and rec but about 4 or 5 more TDs. Why wasn't anyone (besides Travis) cupping Chambers' balls?

1100 yrds is great, but not on 81 rec. That gives him an average of 15 yrds. Which was good enough for 31st. That blows.

You guys need to realize Marshall didn't do for us what you think he did. its time to separate the potential production from the actual production.

And my karate is strong like my pimp hand.

26. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Dorrell. Moved from WRs coach to QB coach because he didn't want to work with Marshall any more.

27. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Volume production doesn't matter. All that matters in the end is how efficient the offense was as a whole. The Dolphins offense wasn't any more efficient once Marshall arrived as it was before.

If you really wanted to, you could get Brian Hartline 1000 yds in a season. You could get Davone Bess 1000 yds in a season. You can get anyone the volume if you really force the issue. That doesn't make for an efficient offense though.

28. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Was it the QB or the WR fault though? thats my point, like was Marshall more to credit for his stats or was Moore........I believe it was Marshall's credit given his past proven history....just like the opposite can be said for say Welker, he is good but last year stat good? I believe Brady was more for the credit, and so does BB cuz any receiver one season away from FA puts up stats like he has been doing you lock him up, but BB knows it is more Brady than Welker, hence no contract...you honest think if Marshall had Brady his stat line would be the same as with Moore?

again time will tell....I dont think you will see a 1000 yard WR, but it will be more evenly spread out...

29. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007

I dunno. Stats wise the player that came closest to matching Marshall's production was Dwayne Bowe. You tell me.

30. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Why does everybody on this site get offended when somebody predicts us to have a losing season with legit points.We are installing a new defence,new offence with no wrs and a new unproven coach.What do expect him to say 10-6 and a wildcard?If our draft pans out this year we are still at least another draft away to even compete for a wildcard.You are only setting yourself up for dissapointment to expect a winning season this year.

31. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I don't see how we've gotten worse as a team. Yet that's what the prediction is, that we'll be worse. Doesn't add up.

32. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Mike furrey got 1000 yards once or twice.

Just saying.

33. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    None of that has anything to do with what I asked you. This is what you said:

All I'm asking you is how can Philbin be better than Sparano on paper when he's never coached a game in the NFL.

34. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I don't know whether we'll be better at any of those positions. And that's the point.
    You can just say well, we're better on paper at those positions because we drafted someone.

35. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    That's just bat **** insane. Why fire Sparano and hire Philbin, then? You are literally making no sense.

36. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Just stop.

This thread is about making predictions. Do you understand what those are?

37. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I don't think we'll be worse, but I can see the other side too. I can easily see how someone can look at this team and say it will be worse.

1. Lost our best WR and only replaced him with an aging diva, two low-round draft picks.
    2. Probably starting either a rookie QB or a QB coming off back surgery who missed all of last season.
    3. Only have one quality pass-rusher
    4. Questions at both safety positions
    5. Rookie HC
    6. Most likely a rookie RT.

It's not hard to look at this team and say it could be worse, especially if one subscribes to the belief that the Bills will be much better.

anthony0187 likes this.
  38. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    How do I not make sense? I'm simply asking how you came to the conclusion that Philbin is better than Sparano on paper?

39. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    So you're predicting that every draft pick we made is going to work out and be an upgrade?
    OK. Fair enough. Law of averages and history says that won't happen though.

Coral Reefer likes this.
  40. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Oh the irony of the insanity statement.

Sparano was fired because of what the team leadership felt were failures with his leadership of the team.
    Sparano was not fired so they could hire Philbin as you allude to in your arguments apparent logic.

Philbin being hired is a bet. A gamble. The team sees potential for Philbin to POSSIBLY be a great HC.
    Out of all the candidates available at the time they felt he was the best gamble to make.
    There is absolutely no track record to measure whether Philbin will be a successful NFL head coach or not however.
    It's his first time.

That is what these posters are trying to point out to you as to why your statement about "Philbin being better than Sparano on paper" is "insane".