1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Clayton predicts AFC East wins total

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by finyank13, Jun 19, 2012.

1. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I like philbin but I liked cam cameron to and we all know how that turned out.
    The dolphins have to many question marks to be a contender and maybe 4-12 is a bit low but 6-10 is not.Maybe if ryan tannehill turns into dan marino in training camp if philbin becomes bill walsh if lamar miller becomes shady mcoy if chad johnson turns back the clock 5 years if hartline turns into jordy nelson if oliver vernon becomes jason taylor if if if if if if.To many ifs to be ranked anywhere but 3 or 4th in our division.Don't get me wrong I would love it if some of the ifs became reality but I have been a fan of this team to long to expect otherwise.

2. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    By asking that question you are basically saying no new HC is a better prospect than someone who has been a HC already. Its bad logic. You not understanding that is not my problem.

3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Irony indeed.

Tell me Sport, who has a better chance of being a successful HC: The guy who has already failed at it or the guy that was the architect of one of the better SB winning offenses in awhile?

I know, I know, you really want to give me a hard time, however, you've already agreed with me, but you're acting like I'm irrational.

But i got to tell you, Chief, explaining to me that, golly, we don't know for a fact if Philbin will be good since he hasn't had results yet, when this whole thread has been about speculation, proves you really aren't paying attention.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Ok? What does that have to do with him being over rated? He isn't. You're saying that because he's a Bill.

5. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I most certainly am not, and I'm on the record for saying that if I were the texans I would not give him the contract he desired, could care less if he's a bill.

6. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    You are the one who isnt understanding.
    You still havent explained how Philbin is better on paper.

7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I understand just fine.

I get that you're trying to make a point. And that point is that Philbin is an unknown entity, so since there's no results how can I say he's better on paper than a man who has been a HC. What you fail to realize (or refuse to realize) is that if that were true, then there'd never be such a thing as speculation. Without speculation, there'd never be a reason to fire/trade or cut a player or coach for anyone that hasn't already proven themselves. So no draft, no players from different systems. Following your "logic", why draft Luck, he's an unknown quantity and therefore he cannot be better on paper than a veteran like Rex Grossman.

Having said all that, I'll bite. He's better on paper because his resume leading up to his first head coaching gig is more impressive than Sparanos. He was after all impressive enough that an incoming coaching staff in Green Bay kept him from the previous staff. From there, not only did he move up the ranks quickly, but he became the architect of the best overall offense in the league. If all that wasn't impressive enough, he created the gameplan the HC called the plays for, the same HC who as an OC was considered one of the worst in the league. During all this they won a Super Bowl and were on track for another one, but Philbin had to miss the week and couldn't create the gameplan and his team was beaten. Sparano, on the other hand, was an average o-line coach.

8. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    See, now if u wouldve just said that yesterday when I first asked the question instead of spending the last 24 hours trying to belittle anyone who disagreed with you, I wouldve replied by saying 'good point, you might be right. I guess we'll soon find out.'

9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Suurrrrrrrrrreee.

That was all known already. I didn't just impart history of Philbin that hasn't been discussed and dissected since he came here. That was all stuff that is known.

You wanted a gotcha moment, and you didn't get it.

10. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Wrong.

First of all, I still disagree with saying Philbin is better on paper. None that proves he will be any better a HC than Sparano. Im just as optimistic ss you are thay he will be better, but on paper its impossible to quantify.
    Secondly, I couldnt give a rats *** about any kind of "gotcha moment."
    Thats not my thing. Not everyone is like you.

11. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Either you were going for a gotcha moment or truly don't understand what "on paper" means. I gave you the benefit of the doubt. I was obviously wrong to do that.

12. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I know exactly what on paper means.

13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Obviously you don't.

"On paper", means basically, "based on the info we have at the time." Like a resume. A resume can only tell you so much, but until the person is doing their job you don't know how good they're going to be. The phrase also has the implication "that we don't know for sure", baked into its definition. So for you to tell me Philbin can't be better on paper, because we can't possibly know if he's good or not, then its proof you don't know what "on paper" means. Basically, you're saying exactly what i said you were. I was just wrong about why you were doing it.

14. hammer

hammer New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Beavercreek Ohio

I'll concede the division to the Patriots but I'm not impressed by the Bills or the Jets.

15. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

They let him go because he was prohibitively expensive and they had just come off a playoff win with a rookie QB while Williams was out. They figured with Schaub back, they could make a better run and spend the money on multiple players.

finyank13 likes this.
  16. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    We're going in circles here. We'll agree to disagree.....again.

17. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Look Sparky, I haven't agreed with you at all.

This just shows even more of your delusions.
    Not only do you go out of your way to change what people post in your responses but now you take statements clearly disagreeing with you and you comprehend them as agreement. LMAO.

So Junior, since your going the "speculation" route as your defense for your "on paper" arguments I have to say it still does not support your stance.
    So Philbin has been a successful coordinator is your basis for the "on paper" he's going to be a better HC argument.
    Still dosen't fly.
    If you follow football at all you'd have the insight to know MANY successful coordinators have failed miserably at being a HC.
    It's a completely different position with additional skills needed rather than just juggling X's and O's.

This above argument is enough without having to bring up the fact that the Pack had a LOADED offense and that Philbin's actual influence on that unit was well questioned during the coaching searches this offseason.

Again, were all HOPING he's more effective but none of us have any idea whether he will be or not.
    Nothing "on paper" shows any proof of being a better HC and your statement that it does is way over the top which is what everyone has been banging their head against the wall trying to get you to comprehend.

In addition to that, even if he is a better coach there is a history of teams having problems adjusting to new systems in the first year as they learn and install new systems.

Plenty of logical reasoning for any sports analyst to doubt what the Dolphins are capable of this year despite your well grounded prognosis for a playoff run.

18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    No we aren't. You just don't understand what you're arguing.

19. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Yep....

Salary cap era forces decisions like these.

20. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yes you did. You said:
    Where do you suppose they see that potential? In rainbows and angel farts? No, based on everything they've seen from his past to his interviews. Do they know for sure if he'll be good? No of course not. Can they say "on paper" he seems like he'll be a great coach? Yes. If he didn't they wouldn't have hired him. I mean seriously, just where in the hell do you think predictions comes from?

You right. Being a successful coordinator doesn't PROVE you'll be a good HC. I also never said it did. You talk a lot of smack about me adding crap to what people say, yet you're doing the same thing.

I can't PROVE what i'm talking about because i'm SPECULATING. You'd think I was trying to explain M-Theory to chimps.

So basically i have you and PSG, trying really hard to point out I can't prove Philbin will be a better coach then Sparano, yet neither of you has stopped to read (or think apparently) and realize I never said its guaranteed. The phrase "on paper" is not a guarantee. Its the opposite.

21. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Nope.
    Pretty sure you don't understand what I'm arguing.

22. feldspar

feldspar Member

Jun 28, 2009
    The Bills had a great offseason. Mario is very good...can't dispute that. We'll get Kyle Williams back, who is a Pro Bowl calibur player who played less than 5 games last year and was never 100% due to a nagging injury he took care of. Marcell Dareus was on an island as a rookie basically, double-teamed on every play, a lot of which were in the 3-4 as Nose Tackle. That guy is going to be a great player. This year, we'll have Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, Marcell Dareus, and (Merriman, Kelsay, Mark Anderson) as our d-line with great depth. Let's see what a healthy Shawne Merriman can do. That's one nasty-looking line right there...top 5 on paper. Our secondary is decent and with big-time potential. Linebackers aren't bad, and they will be getting a lot of help.

A big part of the Bills' problem in the last half of the season was injuries (including QB), exacerbated by a lack of depth. We picked up some decent depth this offseason and had a very good draft. The offense can move the ball and score points too.

Look around and see how many people have the Bills as sleepers this year. Then compare that to what they are saying about the Dolphins: popular sentiment has them doing poorly. Of course, this is all just talk. Yeah, everyone just hates the Dolphins, right? As a Bills fan, I can testify that "they" don't have any favoritism for my team over anybody. We'll have to see what happens, but I think the talk is justified at this point.

23. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    The team with the biggest splash in the offseason usually does poorly. Look at the Iggles and they have massive star power on both sides of the ball.

24. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Marcel will be great, I agree, counting on Merriman, bad idea, kelsay, average, Kyle Williams, we have Solai, Mark Anderson, he's no Wake, not even close, our Dline is right there with ya, we have the best linebacker in Dansby, so our front 7's are close, Williams puts you over the top, but our depth is better..

Your Qb situation is suspect as well as ours is, Ryan Fitz and Matt Moore..push..

You have a very average receiver and tight end group, as do we, but I think I'll take our skillset players over your in total..

We should be neck and neck thru the season if I had to bet.

25. feldspar

feldspar Member

Jun 28, 2009
    That's a poor narrow-minded assessment. Sorry, but it's true. I guess the Broncos are doomed then, since they made the biggest splash by picking up Peyton Manning. That's sure to hurt them, all health-issues aside.

Picking up Mario Williams is somehow bad? C'mon now. That guy is just hitting his prime at 27, and there is really no question of character or motivation...he was stinking rich a LONG time ago...from the moment he signed the #1 overall pick contract before the rookie wage scale. Our team is a lot better for having him. He's not Albert Haynesworth.

26. feldspar

feldspar Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Thanks for your thoughts. I've been through 30-something offseasons, and this is the time everyone tries to talk-up their team. No doubt. Nobody knows...we'll have to see.

Nobody is banking on Merriman btw...he's in a three-man rotation at his position, but the potential is still there for a comeback.

I live in Florida now, with Dolphins games on every week and in the news. I really don't see the Dolphins being as good as the Bills this year, and I say this as objectively as possible. The Dolphins have their good points too, which a lot of people tend to overlook, but I think that if the Bills run the ball and play defense, they should have a winning record. We do have a great running game...c'mon now. The Bills were 5th in yards-per carry last year...the Dolphins were 30th. You guys got rid of Marshall...the Bills resigned Stevie Johnson, and we are getting guys back off injuries at that position...lots of potential there, but it's just potential at this point. Fitzy ain't so bad...this will be his make-or-break year, though IMO.

I think the Bills will easily have a top-ten defense this year, with a chance of being top-five.

Nobody allowed less sacks than Buffalo last year. Some of that had to do with a quick-release system, but you don't have that stat if you are terrible.