1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Jerry was 390 LBS

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Gunner, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    Allegedly ....

But if true ... WTF! :tantrum:

UGH! Sorry ... I read it wrong ... thought he was talking about recently ... yikes! :crapstrom:

Going back to my corner now ... someone please delete this thread lol

2. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Last year, not this year. But yeah. One reason they were unhappy with him obviously.

3. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    Yeah I caught that almost immediately after I posted it (facepalm)

I don't feel so bad now though ... Volin is getting replies making the same bad read I did :lol:

4. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

That's alright, you beat me to the thread...I was gonna start one too....

Gunner likes this.
  5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Bullet dodged.

6. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Odd that this would be news right now.

But this goes a long way towards explaining why Jerry was in the doghouse for most of the year. It's also worrisome if we're planning on moving him out to RT at some point. 390 is sort of heavy.

7. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    Sometimes there is ZERO advantage to being first :yes:

Larryfinfan likes this.
  8. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    It speaks ill of Jerry, but I think people are going to make entirely too much of this. The issue is less that he came into came out of shape, and more that he did so at this juncture of his career.

Loads of guys come in, and depending on the team and coaching staff, stay way outside of their listed/playing weights. Aaron Gibson was not the last guy to weigh in over 400lbs. as an active NFL player. Once you start getting above players who are listed as 330lbs, what's on the paper is going to frequently be radically different from what is on the bones.

It's the same deal with smaller guys too to a lesser extent. Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas basically have a comedy routine where they talk **** on each others playing weights. Zach Thomas admitted he dropped under 220lbs. at some point in his career. He's claimed that Jason Taylor never broke 240(I think) without the weight and conditioning coach stepping on the back of the scale in interviews before.

DPlus47 likes this.
  9. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Brandon Moore of "butt fumble" fame visiting today. Actually a pretty good player for the Jets

evz likes this.
  10. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Sounds like a motivation tool. "We have this guy that really fat. Last time I saw him he was still fat. When I saw him last year he was really fat. If that fatty is anywhere near as fat as he was when that fat *** last showed up, fatty is going to be out of here."

Bpk and Steve-Mo like this.
  11. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    So what exactly are you trying to say?

12. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Like the Dolphins brass, I am trying to be as subtle as possible. Read between the lines

MikeHoncho and Fin D like this.
  13. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    John Jerry may not be a guard or a tackle or anything this year for the Miami Dolphins.

14. jorser

jorser Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    They are looking at Brandon Moore today who is 33, so they are obviously very concerned about what kind of condition Jerry shows up in this year. As each FA is signed and more holes are filled, now potentially Grimes and Winston, it becomes more clear each day that the draft may clearly allow us to go BPA, not reach, or have to trade up or down, yet fill a need and feel good about it. So that being said, while not sexy in the least, and it may foster a mini fan revolt, J. Cooper at 12 seems like a possibilty as each day passes. I am no draftnik, and I reside on the T. Austin bandwagon big time (I think we need more juice than just Wallace and Miller to re fill the stadium), but an athletic OG has been a need almost as long as QB was (how nice it is to say was), and 12 is about his range. We have so many premium picks that we really can constuct a hell of a draft and while I want Austin's electricty and playmaking, I might be just as satisfied knowing we have a young athletic interior guy to play along side Pouncey for many years and lead the way for Miller Time. I'm not sure that there is another guy in the draft at OG that fits our need profile that you may take in rds 2-4 who could come in compete right away for a starting job.

15. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I agree, my heart is with Austin, but you have to field you perspective team between who's on your roster and FA before the draft...If you go into the draft with needs you just don't know what turns the draft will take (trades, move ups, move downs, etc)...You can't bank on the draft unless you have pick #1...

Bpk likes this.
  16. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    New FB?

17. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

Jerry won't be cut, but he's fighting for a starting spot at RG.

Zero chance he's the RT in week 1, unless injury strikes.

18. DeDolfan

DeDolfan Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Rehoboth Beach

What a road grader that would be !!! :D

19. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Soliai should mentor him. He got his weight issues under control and not only dominated, but put a nice chunk of cash in the bank as well.

20. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Someone who weighs 390 cant dodge a bullet.

390lbs. plus the weight of the bullet......duh!

21. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    Yeah. But at 390# it would only be a two foot long road.

22. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    He could be a highway divider. The Dolphins could volunteer to clean up the mile of highway where Jerry permanently resides.

23. Drowning

Drowning ONCE MORE UNTO THE BREACH

Dec 20, 2007
    I was leaning towards the guy was not skinny but I may be off.

I have been drinking heavily during Phins games as of late (can you blame me?) but if memory serves, the man can be a beast. I've seen him eat (subtle pun intended) dlinemen as if he had the green card showing in texas de brazil.

maynard likes this.
  24. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Not really surprised Miami's looking at a vet G again this year. They brought in Artis Hicks and Eric Steinbach last year.

25. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Forgot about Hicks. What's his deal?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

26. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    IIRC he hurt his neck or some such and was released. He might have gotten an injury settlement since, but he never played a down in the regular season for Miami last year.

Just makes sense they'd target a veteran G as "insurance" for John Jerry.

27. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    This was from last year, but I am glad you posted it because I think it is something important to watch out for this year. If Jerry comes in that way again you can probably right him off because that would be a good indication of how serious he is about his position.

28. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    Vernon Carey was always overweight.
    Ruined his career. He couldn't figure out a way to stop eating at the buffet.

djphinfan likes this.
  29. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Cooper and Warmack were my first two choices at 12 before two weeks ago (when I got on the Austin bandwagon). I love both those players and think they are absolute starters in the NFL and should be for 10-12 years. Cooper has more mobility which fits us better.

But, I don't know him. I have seen Warmack play for two years. He is a beast and I think his toughness (developed under Saban) would be great as an OG next to Mike Pouncey. So, too, might Cooper.

I'd rather have either of those two than any CB or OLB or DE at 12.

30. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I am all about fixing the offensive line and I support it. That said, unless it's John ****ing Hannah I'm VERY against taking a guard at #12. Not with needs at right tackle (for now), corner, tight end, defensive end and defensive tackle.

djphinfan likes this.
  31. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Simple solution, don't draft fat asses that have no knowledge of training or nutrition, or drive..how can you not have enough intellect to understand your playing a game for millions, and your body is the vehicle to perform..

Da 'Fins and ASUFinFan like this.
  32. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Jabba Jerry

[​IMG]

33. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    That was a joke right, signing Steinbach, I'd like to know who made the call on that..lol..I know he used to play for Philbin..geez.

34. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Considering he was one of the better guards in the entire NFL before missing 2011 with a back injury, and the fact his knees were already starting to go before that, I think it's worth the gamble. The O-line certainly could have used what Eric Steinbach was prior to the back injury. Obviously, his body didn't recover fully and he retired. But it was certainly worth the risk to find out; it's not like he was a detriment to anyone else on the O-line who was on the roster last year; he was more a depth signing than anything else. Do recall that Artis Hicks was the starting RG until he hurt his neck and they force-fed John Jerry plays (that's a horrible pun).

35. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Back injuries, particularly for linemen, are scary. That was one reason why I wasn't thrilled with bringing Long back or with the idea of signing Volmer. I don't find that betting against the recurrence of back issues to be a good risk.

KB21 likes this.
  36. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    Yes... Back Issues just don't go away. They can be relieved by treatment, or can be hid under obfuscation, but they do not simply disappear. I've had an 'issue' for ten years, and even though I had very successful treatment - there are a lot of things that cannot be done. In particular, bending, taking weight loads upon the torso without careful preparation, and an ever present limit in range of motion. None of those are conducive to playing football without a lot of care and concern, and even then, reactions are slowed. Even more importantly, it can lead to an exacerbation or recurrence of the problem which can be, literally, crippling. Back spasms are not to be fooled with in the context of contact athletics, either.

All that is to say, be very, very careful before relying heavily on an offensive lineman with a history of back problems. Speaking for myself, Volmer is not worth the risk at this point - either for the team, or his own health.

maynard and KB21 like this.
  37. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    The fact is that after brining him in, looking at the shape he was in, watching him in some drills, they signed him, I saw some clips of the same stuff and would of said no thanks on the spot, he was that brutal to watch, and it was very obvious that he had nothing in the tank, and could produce no power with that body..but we still signed him...I just don't understand how it took for him to tell us no..

38. Draconis1410

Draconis1410 New Member

Mar 14, 2013
    New York City
    Man, just went and watched some old John Jerry vids. He was such a nimble BEAST. He needs to try to get back to his ole miss playing weight. Problems would be solved at the RG. He was able to get to the second level so quick. I thought he was a a HB. lol.

39. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    John Jerry WAS 390 lbs ? LOL . I pray they sign Moore.

40. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Considering all they showed on Hard Knocks was his running sprints, I think he must have showed something drills. I think his old game tape probably had something to do with it. And of course, he played for Philbin in college. Having worked for a former NFL player, I can tell you that counts for a LOT more than you'd think, or like to think it would.