1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jon Cooper Got Big For Combine

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Bpk, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

https://twitter.com/josephperson

I would have preferred he stay under 300 and more agile, if we were considering him at all.

2. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I don't think were taking a guard at 12. I'm guessing Warmack is gone by the time we pick a team like the Titans or Chargers will take him.

I hope our targets include Jordan, Milliner, Floyd, Star, Richardson, Patterson.

3. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Move back. Accrue picks. Select Cooper.

4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    That's one bad *** mother grabber, would prefer he wouldn't say stupid things like that but.

5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He needs to get bigger. He struggles anchoring.

6. Bpk

Then no thanks to J Coop, unless he moves unnaturally well with the extra weight (doubt it).

7. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Depending on what we do in FA, I'm coming around to the idea of taking one of the two guards. I'd still prefer a pass rusher, corner, or WR, and don't think Ireland would spend another valuable resource on the interior of the O line, but I'm starting to see the benefits as long as the Dolphins fill their biggest needs by draft day.

8. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Im sorry but as much as I like Cooper (at 300 lbs, mind you) I'm not a fan of his at 12. Taking Warmack at 12? That's fine. He's got all pro for 8 years/hall of fame potential at the guard spot. That's fine value, even though nearly a top 10 pick for a GUARD is somewhat nuts.

But taking a guy like Cooper? Whose not Warmack? I'm sorry but I have trouble with that.

Bpk likes this.
  9. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    The difference between the two, especially the scheme that we run, isn't great. Cooper's a hell of a player.

10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Problem with Cooper is that even though he has decent lower body strength, he's so weak in the upper body. Frankly, he's a tad overrated, with some considering him for the Top 10. I think he has quality in him but not that much. Yeah, he moves well but what's going to happen when a 4 technique sits over him and he has to base block? He needs to hit the weight room hard.

Bpk likes this.
  11. Finsanity247

Finsanity247 New Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Miami, FL
    Warmack and Cooper are both future pro-bowl guards but I don't think I could stomach a guard at 12. I have a feeling we are going OLINE at 12 and I don't like it....

12. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think there's a pretty good chance Cooper would be more valuable to other teams in the draft than the Dolphins. You need athletic linemen to run outside zones all day, but I think the teams that might find him most valuable are the ones who want a left guard you can expect to hit pulling plays around the right end. Those guys I think are a bit harder to find than guys athletic enough for outside zones, and I wonder if someone won't jump on Cooper the same kind of way the Dolphins jumped on Justin Smiley immediately for the same reasons in 2008. If the Dolphins won't likely do that kind of stuff as much as other teams, and if they wanted to do it they've got Mike Pouncey.

13. Bpk

I need to get clearer on what our guards do, and what the left guard does differently than the right guard.

The thing is, watching Dolphins film won't tell the whole story. The coaches may have limited some of our plays if our guards weren't capable of executing things they would have done with better-suited guards.

I'll try to watch some Green Bay film from 2011 and see what the guards were asked to do. That's assuming it's still similar to what Philbin is planning to do in 2013.

14. CANDolphan

Feb 18, 2012
    You're exactly right, and I keep doing that. I view the two from a vacuum, and I see Warmack as the clear cut better guard, but you're exactly right. Cooper is so strong in the zone blocking (and second level movement) that he'd almost be as successful on this team as Warmack.

That simply lowers Warmack's value for me, not increasing Cooper's. I have a few guards I like in the 2nd/3rd so I'd prefer they wait for that. Then again I'm pretty much locked into the Patterson bandwagon at this point.

Boomer and Bpk like this.
  15. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I wouldn't consider either player at 12 overall. I don't see how that would benefit a championship team to use that kind of asset on that kind of player.

Bpk and ssmiami like this.
  16. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I'd argue that the Dolphins want to do less man blocking than they did in 2012, and they ended up doing it more often because they were unhappy with Reggie Bush's performance at the end of the year.

KB21 likes this.
  17. Bpk

So you think the coaches felt Reggie would run better behind more familiar man blocking? Interesting.

18. Bpk

Tis is the mindset from which this organization needs to make decisions: will this create a championship caliber team.

That's the litmus, IMO.

Not just, "will it get us to .500" or let's build a team that can "make the playoffs" but has inherent design flaws that will make it hard to go any further.

Build this thing right, from the start... Or at least starting in year six of the regime. Lol.

19. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I think there was a shift about midway through the season having to do with the selection of run plays.

Bpk likes this.
  20. CANDolphan

Feb 18, 2012
    What's funny about this is Cooper is blowing away the other linemen at the combine in the bench press thus far. 35 reps vs Fisher's 27 and Fluker's 21.

Bpk likes this.
  21. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Doesn't play it.

22. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    How is this guy even considered a 1st round prospect? he had problems in pass pro all year and gets off 21 reps? Heck, Martin who everyone knows was weak did 20 reps

Bpk likes this.
  23. Bpk

Gotta love the combine. Exposes a lot of things.

24. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I'm not a big workout warrior type of guy but if you suck during the regular season and you suck at the combineā€¦ well that is not good! lol

I think someone is going to draft Flucker fairly high and they are going to be very disappointed.