Jon Gruden Loves Andrew Luck as a Prospect

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by KB21, Oct 12, 2011.

1. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't think Jeff Ireland can lose final say now that it's been written into his contract.

Although...when Jeff Ireland and Tony Sparano extended their contracts...didn't I read somewhere that Sparano was given more power over some areas of personnel? Did I read that right?

We may have assumed it was Stephen Ross throwing a bone to Sparano, but it may have been more about getting Jeff Ireland to cede some of his authority to the Head Coach, with the idea being that ultimately that Head Coach will be someone other than Sparano.

2. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Well, Wanny lost his final say authority in 2004. Maybe the rules are different for a GM/Exec. VP?

I know in other sports you see guys take the so-called "another position in the organization", like when Stan Van Gundy "resigned" as head coach of the Heat but then became a "consultant"

3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't know, but I do know the only reason we were able to pull Jeff Ireland away from the Cowboys was because he would be full GM with final say. I don't know that you can take that away unless you've re-done his contract. I'm just saying good luck getting him to accept the step down.

I wouldn't mind Ireland being Director of College Scouting. But I'd like someone like Russ Ball to be the Team President and General Manager, and I'd like him to find someone that is COMPETENT to be Director of Pro Personnel along side Ireland.

schmolioot likes this.
  4. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    You could probably get away with taking the "Exec. VP of Football Ops" title from Ireland and then giving that to somebody else who would then have final say, or be the "tiebreaker". under that scenario Ireland would still be the general manager and thus in charge of the roster.

5. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    No you got it right and I looked at it as some form of damage control at the time. You could be correct though. It might have been a way to back Ireland off of control for the next guy.
    If that was actually going to go down it would seem better suited to just fire Ireland though IMO.

6. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    You did. Sparano was given more of a say in the roster makeup. We don't know what that means, but I don't think he was the one behind, say, cutting Crowder and signing Burnett.

7. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Wait a minute if Gruden is here and the GM is hired by his choice with Andrew Luck the #1 pick are they more or less going with the I don't give a damn about anything but helping the kid approach for a while or will the GM try to field a competitive team quickly?

8. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    No, but given his "I watched the film" quote awhile back he may have been behind the Marc Colombo mess.

9. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Regardless Sparano has a former very good RT he could try and Garner. That is his fault.

10. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    My guess is, Sparano is thinking that he can't start Garner at right tackle because he is using him as a blocking tight end in two tight sets. Of course, Garner is playing blocking tight end because Jeff Ireland didn't properly address the depth at this position. Ireland is at fault for not addressing the tight end position, and Sparano is at fault for placing a higher value on a blocking tight end than a starting right tackle.

ssmiami likes this.
  11. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That and starting Garner creates 2 holes on the OL, as there goes the backup C/G/T, Colombo is not really fit to play, but if you stick Garner in there and someone else goes down, you have to move Garner and reinsert Colombo.

This with the disappointing John Jerry rarely playing, that could be Jimmy Graham, or Tony Maeoki.

byroan likes this.
  12. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Every day reading more and more, and watching Gruden related videos, I get more warm to the idea of him as head coach.

How good has he been with draft decisions though? I know he had a sort of pre-built team in TB that he took over the hump, and his Raiders team had a lot of vets.

13. Third Man

Third Man Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    And why wouldn't you play Garner at RT on most downs and then when you want a 2 TE look move in Colombo to be like a 2nd RG if that's what's going on there? What you've suggested doesn't make much sense.

It seems more likely to me that Garner simply isn't healthy enough yet to play a whole game.

Nappy Roots likes this.