1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jon Stinchcomb released by Saints

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Pandarilla, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Da 'Fins likes this.
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Depends, maybe not to start the season, but by wk #3 if Colombo/Murtha struggled, then why not?

Pandarilla likes this.
  3. aesop

aesop Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    NYC
    I don't want someone with a last name like that on our team.

MonstBlitz and Paul 13 like this.
  4. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    With our O-line getting owned today in practice, I don't think Tony and Irish can afford to let another squirrel gather this nutter...

5. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Actually when healthy he might be a better RT than Carey was in 09. This is a no-brainer. With the need to perhaps play Murtha at LT this move should have already been made.

Aquafin and Pandarilla like this.
  6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Can't be hasty, but you can't hesitate either, 1 more preseason game, Sparano has said the #1's are going to play until almost the half, or to half time, Charles Johnson is a beast of a passrusher and Rivera likes to run an aggressive D, let us see what happens then wait to see if moves are made that should be made.

7. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    I wonder if Irish is on a plane over there right now...Where's Canesphin when you need him!?!

8. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    If we were to cut Carey how much would that cost Miami?

9. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    What's the downside of offering him a contract? He doesn't pan out and we still suck on the O-line. We've got the cap space and expendable scrubs to make room for him.

10. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I haven't watched him play lately but if I had, I have the feeling that I would be inclined to fully endorse signing him to play Right Tackle, given the state of things on this offensive line.

DolfanJake and Pandarilla like this.
  11. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Stinchcomb is due @2.5 mil. which is around the same ball park of Carey who recently restructured (translation: I have no idea)...But we're 9 mil. under the cap, right? Why not keep both?

12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Whose to say we suck on the Oline? 7 practices in pads, 3 new Olinemen, 1 preseason game, that is why you cannot be hasty.

13. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I'd dump Carey, sign Waters, and then sign Stinchcomb.

Tired of this stupidity on offense.

Aquafin likes this.
  14. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    I agree, but if Irish doesn't at least make an attempt to bring him in and seriously move on this...Well, I mean, you know...

Jaj likes this.
  15. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    He brought in Ray Willis why not this guy?

Pandarilla likes this.
  16. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Exactly, if he sucks, then we can just give him the Willis treatment. That dude hasn't even practiced for two days and that's their idea of a signing.

17. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    This is the guy you want to replace Carey? Ugh. I understand Carey's play has slipped but this guy allowed 7 sacks, 6 hits and 48pressures in 776 pass plays playing in front of Drew Brees. Carey allowed 4 sacks, 3 hits and 23 pressures in 454 pass plays.

So to be clear:
    Stinchcomb allowed his man to get to the Qb in some form once every 12.7 pass plays.
    Carey allowed his man to get to the Qb in some form once every 15.1 pass plays

Brees knows when to get the ball out. Henne is still learning. It should be the other way around when you consider how often we were playing from behind.

18. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Well then put Carey's *** back at RT and sign a real guard.

19. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Well, since you put it like that. What's your source?

20. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Agreed. Waters is the player Id like. Loved by his teammates and still has something left. His stats bear it out as well. PFF grades him as KC's best OL last year and in 531 pass snaps he allowed only 1 sack, 4 hits and 11 pressures...only 1 penalty. This is the player we should be looking at if management was alive and awake.

dolfan22, MrClean and Pandarilla like this.
  21. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Pro Football Focus :)

22. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Yeah, do you just have to sign up for the premium stats or do you have to pay?

23. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I signed up for the pay stats. Its better that way. For $20 or 30 bucks why not. Definitely worth it to back up what you see verified or proven incorrect. Sometimes it makes you think about how youre evaluating a player know what you watched in a game vs what you thought you watched.

MrClean and Pandarilla like this.
  24. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    They've already moved Carey to guard and they seem like they've got the bit in their teeth on that one. I don't think there's any putting that genie back in the bottle. Maybe there is and I'm underestimating them but I doubt it. Ideally yeah I would probably continue to play him at Right Tackle and find a real Right Guard, maybe just play Nate Garner there. But just doesn't seem in the offing right now.

MrClean likes this.
  25. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Stinchcomb 2010 played with several injuries, including the one on which he had surgery in the off-season, so comparing him to Carey last year is not necessarily valid. He was a pro-bowler in 2009.

One of the reasons he got cut was the injury likely is not 100% healed and that is likely why he was released. But, if he passes a physical and needs just some time to get up to speed, of course you sign him.

This is also not about hastiness - it's about a RT (Colombo) that has never played near to the level that Stinchcomb has. Sign him, let him compete for a few weeks, see what happens and then if it doesn't pan out cut one of the players.

Pandarilla likes this.
  26. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Would a healthy Stinchcomb be better than a healthy Colombo? I'm not so sure, though it seems Colombo's medical history is more extensive. Stinchcomb hasn't missed a game in the last 5 years and is a year younger than Colombo. Ok, Boik, how does Stinchcomb grade out as a blocker last season per PFF?

I'm all in for on the bandwagon though for Brian Waters for LG and move Richie to RG. Let Carey compete at RT. I'm guessing we don't even sniff at Stinchcomb, but if we did I'd at least be glad they are focusing on the OL. If not Waters, then Leonard Davis for RG and leave Incog where he is.

27. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I believe so, yes.

(Colombo, Stinchcomb)
    2010 Grades: -34.1, -11.4
    2009 Grades: -5.8, +9.3
    2008 Grades: -5.4, +12.8

It's clear what PFF thinks of their work over the last three years. One thing that maybe doesn't get enough notice is that while it's true that Marc Colombo garnered a +6.1 in about 8 regular season games of 2009, he came back for the playoffs and got beat like an old carpet, 3 sacks, 3 hits and 9 pressures in 2 games along with -11.9 worth of PFF grades.

So really, since that injury he suffered mid-2009, he's had a -46.0 PFF grade with 10 sacks, 14 hits and 49 pressures in 17 games.

Boik14 and MrClean like this.
  28. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Did Carey actually perform poorly in camp at RT this year?

29. MrClean

From a production viewpoint then it is pretty certain Stinchcomb would help us, unless he is still rehabbing his knee and Colombo is 100%, or as close as knee cut on so many times can be. I'm guessing even though it appears to make sense, since part of Colombo's contract is guaranteed, they may be reluctant to cut him, unless he really starts stinking up the joint.

30. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I think Colombo's salary is relatively inexpensive:

- Murtha should be the backup LT
    - Colombo should be the backup RT
    - Garner the backup C (have Incognito there too)
    - The last guy should probably Jerry to see if the light turns on for him

31. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I still don't understand how you let a 25 year old Gaither just walk to KC. If you could have gotten him on an incentive-laden deal but with some agreeable terms, I don't see why you wouldn't have pulled the trigger.

Boik14 likes this.
  32. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    To be clear I think both Stinchcomb and Columbo are done. Stinchcomb graded out poorly, maybe because of injury, maybe not. Either way if your choice is an all pro guard who is reasonably healthy or a decent OL who is coming off serious surgery which do you choose?

Go get Waters and get Carey back to RT. Then you have a line that could dominate with Long-Waters-Pouncey-Incognito-Carey. Its better then any combination you can throw at me with Columbo, Stinchcomb, Murtha, Garner, Jerry or virtually anyone else available being in there instead of Waters

33. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Especially from a regime that has always placed such an emphasis on size! great point.

34. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I wish the regime were likely to do ANY of the things being suggested in this thread.

But I think we all know, deep in our hearts, that they will not sign a single one of the people we are discussing.

Just the way it is.

We can dream and discuss though. :)

35. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Part of this could be bitterness over Stinchcomb's playoff performance against the Seahawks. In PFF's eyes, he stunk. He had a -7.8 grade in that one game alone, allowing 1 QB Sack and 9 QB Pressures. PFF would have us believe that Raheem Brock tore him to pieces in that game.

Given that the Saints were heavily favored in the game, the reigning champs, and the Seahawks were 7-9 playoff pretenders that snuck in simply because SOMEONE from the NFC West had to go in, it's possible that they're still really bitter about that playoff loss and looking for places to lay blame. The defense terrible, of course...but Stinchcomb drew the single lowest individual player grade for that game from PFF.

MrClean likes this.
  36. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    As for Marc Colombo he has a 1 year, $2.0 million contract with $1.0 million of that as guaranteed salary. Not signing bonus mind you, guaranteed salary.

37. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    FWIW I saw someone on Finheaven say that Stinchcomb played all last year injured (like Colombo) and had serious quad surgery during the off season. He tried to come back in the Saints' first preseason game and supposedly got Drew Brees killed.

It makes me wonder if the Dolphins can sign him and place him on the PUP list, get him involved after 6 games or something. I don't know the fine print on it.

38. MrClean

Good question and I do not know for sure. Does being eligible for PUP begin over again if a player changes teams in preseason? My guess would be since he played already for the Saints in week 1 of the preseason, when he signs with a new team he must go on to their roster and PUP would not be an option. This is just my guess, based on not much more than considering the spirit in which the PUP list rules are intended. Legit rehab and not a place to stow players for use later.

39. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    B/c his injury issues are too extensive. The Raiders signed him, and he couldnt even pass the physical. Not to mention, that due to his injuries hes incredibly out of shape. Haley has said he isnt even close to ready to play...

40. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Oh no...here we go again...they'll probably pick up Stinchcomb for sure, we need another declining veteran presence on the OL, but Aaron Maybin ?? A 3-4 OLB that could probably come fairly inexpensive and provide at least back up in a rotational field of OLBs that other than our starters is at very best a weak group....Nah...

About as unlikely a pickup as a TE that is anything better than mediocre...