1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jonathan Martin Walks out of Practice (Freaked out)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Section126, Oct 30, 2013.

1. khat

khat Active Member

Aug 9, 2008
    To me it sounds like he got mad and stormed off. Makes more sense then he just went crazy. Truth is, no one knows. He was probably tired of getting called out in the meetings.

Think my opinion is just as valid as yours.

2. phintasmic

phintasmic Banned

Oct 21, 2013

That's right, I knew he was in the news for something.

3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Watching that press conference from a few days ago I have to say whoever that reporter was that started saying what Philbin's role with the team was...you've got to know better than that.

Whoever it was seemed like he was getting defensive on behalf of Chris Perkins, who was actually the reporter asking the bulk of questions about Pouncey. Perkins was the guy that kept hammering Philbin over and over again. At one point Perkins was actually asking something about receiver depth I think and when Philbin heard the question coming from Perkins he visibly rolled his eyes and gave the "here we go again with this guy" face. So when Perkins asked about it for the fourth time or whatever and Philbin again said I've said everything I'm going to say about Pouncey...the next reporter seemed like he shot off a fed up remark.

Essentially the reporter was saying don't like we're ****ing idiots for wanting to know any details you can offer us about what is boiling into a huge national story. And I actually feel him on that.

But then the reporter realized he said too much and he had to kind of defend himself, so that's when he explained that if Philbin as the leader of the team won't say anything in support of Pouncey it looks like he's not supporting his guy. That was going way too far.

4. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    Should have taken Stephen Hill at that spot and developed him.
    I was never happy about the Jonathan Martin pick.

5. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Yup, and I loved that Philbin put him in his place. I understand these guys want answers, but head coaches aren't going to comment on something like that. It's not just Philbin, not one coach is going to get into those details.

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    **** the local media.

They are thugs. If their stories aren't gift wrapped and written for them by the team, then they resort to these gestapo tactics. They've been doing it for years.

I've been saying for awhile that they make **** up and then use each other as sources. They did it a lot last year with the coaching and QB searches and they were consistently wrong.

I don't follow other teams of other sports in other cities so I don't how common this is, but I know this is a ****ing travesty of reporting down there.

maynard likes this.
  7. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I liked the Martin pick, what no one can know when you take a player is how they will react to being an NFLer,

This may sound odd, but I'm beginning to suspect some of the things demanded of NFLers are not things really bright people with other interests outside of football would just naturally do.

TBH, think you have to be slightly crazy and aggressive to deal with the stressors

DOLPHAN1 and maynard like this.
  8. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    And I generally like Chris Perkins, but that dude asks some DUMB questions.

He asked Tannehill if he did any film study on the Bengals last week leading into the Pats game. Tannehill looked at him like he had 2 heads. You really think the players are going to be studying film and game planning for two teams at the same time?

Earlier in the season he asked Philbin why he didn't challenge a play that happened to be in the last 2 minutes of the half and Philbin looked shocked he was asked that question and was like "beeeeeecause you can't challenge in the last 2 minutes of the half"

C'mon guy.

9. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    I believe that was Adam Beasley.

10. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Actually he would only be guilty of conspiracy to commit murder.

11. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    And I also think it's bull**** to say Philbin disrespects the media. When he's answering questions he's usually very polite and ALWAYS refers to them by name, which is something I've never, ever seen before.

He's tight lipped and doesn't like to reveal a lot. If the local media doesn't like it, find another job. I understand the frustration of not getting answers, but don't try to start a war over it. Jackasses.

DOLPHAN1 and dolfndav34 like this.
  12. MrClean

His fat *** is gonna collect checks for the rest of season whether he is cut or not.

13. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Based on the facts of Ireland, psychos are OK, but a mom can not have any clouds--gotta be squeeky clean when it comes to moms.

14. MrClean

As things are seemingly spinning out of control with this team, if I don't laugh a little about this, I'm gonna cry. It's just like what can happen next?

dolfndav34 likes this.
  15. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I dunno. That wasn't that dumb of a question to me. I understand why you think it is but I have literally seen teams and players do film study that far in advance when they're going to be faced with a short week. It's actually happened.

16. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    He's very polite to them. And he very politely makes it extraordinarily difficult for them to do their jobs.

17. MrClean

There is a very fine line between genius and insanity.

18. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Whoa!

19. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Well, I sure don't want my 2nd year QB watching film of next week's opponent when they're about to face the team they're trying to chase in the division. Especially a team who's had as much success and as tough on young players as New England.

If this was a 10 year, all-pro QB, then sure by all means, do what you do, but not someone in Tannehill's position.

20. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Chris, I watched that presser live because I had nothing better to do at work, haha. I tweeted every single beat reporter that I follow on Twitter - Armando, Adam, Barry, Chris, Omar, Andrew. I asked them all who the reporter was that questioned Philbin's leadership because he wouldn't publicly defend Pouncey. Not one answered my tweet.

Our beat media are scum. I'm sorry. I get it. They have a job to do to be paid. However, so do I. I'm a salesman and I constantly act in the best interest of my clients because they trust me. They all suck. They just do.

Some people will make fun. Hell, people make fun of Lindsey Lohan or Amanda Bynes, but now it's not OK to make fun of Martin? Personally, I choose to make fun of neither. I won't chastise those that do either. I'll just choose not to listen or pay attention. That's my right, just like it's theres to make fun. No harm. It's cool. That's life.

BTW, Chris. I'm the jagoff that continues to talk to you about Marshall via Twitter, hahaha (jordanbursch).

I don't think the locker room is lost, but I think the offense has had it with Sherman. I think most of it stems with the fact we continue to go away from the running game. Either way, I think we are going to get rolled tomorrow 31-14. I think we hang for a bit, but at the first sign of distress, we'll cave. It may even be a heartbreaker like 23-21. Either way, first sign of distress, this team will cave.

21. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Mind boggling as it is, it's happened.

22. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    More reason to fire Jim Turner

23. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well let's be honest here, JMart probably should have been benched, this effectively accomplishes the same thing.

Problem is, the "answer' is Tyson Clabo, this to me highlights flaws in our structure.

Replacing a mediocre T with one of the worst T's in the NFL is foolish, yet that is what they intend to do, as if some magical unicorn will sprinkle fairy dust on Clabo and he'll recall he used to be a good player.

I mean what, is he going to roll out of bed and be like "hey, this is a great game to not suck in!"

24. MrClean

I think he has the physical tools to develop, so I'd been trying to be optimistic that he would. One thing that has not been mentioned much, and it has been in the back of my mind for a while, is that the pick before Martin, the Bills took Cordy Glenn who has already developed into a very good left tackle for them. Just the Dolphins luck. Why couldn't Buddy Nix have taken Martin and left Glenn for us?

Da 'Fins and jim1 like this.
  25. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    I am guessing you have had very little exposure to mental health issues. That you still call people with emotional issues "crazy". Tolerance my friend.

unifiedtheory likes this.
  26. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Lots of subjects here. You mean the Marshall football team? They've become a pet favorite of mine to watch this year because of Gator Hoskins and Rakeem Cato.

As for the reasons players are questioning Sherman, I have to think a lot of it could be selfish. Mike Wallace questions Sherman because he doesn't throw it deep enough. Wallace just said very recently that he scheduled another one on one with Sherman yet again to ask for more deep balls. Tyson Clabo showed some dissatisfaction before about the fact that the OL wasn't letting up many hits on QB but they are letting up a lot of sacks and he thinks that's weird. He could have been alluding to some issues in play design and play calling. Jonathan Martin showed CLEAR dissatisfaction with being moved from left to right tackle, even before his freak out episode. Marcus Thigpen actively lobbied to be more involved, and he came away feeling his request was basically denied. He finally got his first carry as a tailback, they did it from a pistol formation, the play was unsuccessful, and he never saw action again for the rest of the game. There's nothing like dangling the carrot close enough to a guy's face that he can smell it before taking it away to make a guy pissed off. Other guys, probably OLs, are dissatisfied that they keep going away from the run in the second half.

So I think it's really multiple things going on there.

As for the state of the locker room...hearing disturbing things. This Martin thing may have been something of a catalyst.

dolfan22 likes this.
  27. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Clabo. :pity:

28. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    This incident is most unfortunate, and I would say the guys on the team certainly had no idea this would be the response. Folks often do not see the initial stages of emotional breakdown. No emotional strain intended by teammates and the event was the final trigger in something brewing for some time. I have worked in mental health for almost 30 years. These kind of incidents always take folks off guard. I hope his teammates understand anything could have triggered this reaction. This is what I hope is the case and not some pattern of adult bully behavior.

29. MrClean

I don't totally agree. Two of our three wins were games decided by 2-3 plays. 3 of the 4 losses were decided by 2-3 plays, IMO. So, they ain't totally getting their heads kicked in, it is just a few mental or physical breakdowns, or bullshlit calls by officials that make the difference. If the talent totally stunk or the coaches were collectively inept there would be more blowout losses.
    We have about 5 assistants that would be an asset to any staff IMO. Kacy Rodgers, George Edwards, Dan Campbell, Jeff Nixon, and Darren Rizzi off the top of my head, are all worth keeping anyway. Maybe a few of the others too, for that matter. Unfortunately two that are open to question right now are the OC and DC.

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  30. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Really? Or did you forget the sarcasm smiley?

Hopefully you are correct though.

31. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I can't speak to what you're hearing, but I tend to believe these locker room issues are usually overblown. The team can't win right now and emotions boil. Living in Jersey, I heard day in and day out about how much of a mess the Giants locker room was in 2007 with Coughlin, and then they won the Super Bowl. Wasn't there a lot of issues in Baltimore last year too?

I'm not saying we're going to win the Super Bowl of anything like that, but bottom line, winning fixes everything.

32. MrClean

Beasley and Abrahamson are both snot nosed punk kids. They need to have someone grab them by the collar and pin them up against the wall, then ask them to repeat what they said.

That's what I'd do. :yes:

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  33. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I thought that is your "get off my lawn" speech?

34. MrClean

He said black label. I think that means Johnny Walker Black. Some pretty good stuff as Scotch goes. Not on the level of their Blue Label though.

Of course, it could mean the king of all rot gut beers, Carling Black Label. :)

35. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    The reporter that had the heated exchange with Philbin was Adam Beasley. I like Beasley and I think he's a good and fair reporter who lost his cool a little bit.

36. MrClean

I'd believe Darlington easily over any of those dipwads that make up the current group of Sou Fla beat writers.

37. dolfan22

Said from his Gran Torino .

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  38. dolfan22

Darlington merits belief imo . Nothing I have seen indicates he is not 100% upfront with his reports .

39. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I've found myself mulling over the Cordy Glenn pick one selection of Jonathan Martin as well.

The just-missed triumvirate:

Ryan Kalil one pick before Samson Satele

Cordy Glenn one pick before Jonathan Martin

Keenan Allen one pick before Dallas Thomas

The last one is a combination of some initial frustration, a bit of hindsite and my guess as to what the the future will hold. The first two just plain pissed me off.

Cordy Glen is a big, big man with power and some movement skills. Twice the player of Jonathan Martin. That being said, regardless of what has been going on with Martin, I wish him well and a speedy return to normalcy in his life. He got pissed, he snapped, and it happened. Not exactly a normal reaction as per the prank, but with being moved to RT, the 4 game losing streak and whatever else was going on, it happened- there's no doubt a certain bizarreness to it, but sh** happens.

Truth be told, I'm not a big fan of Martin as a player, but we need him and I'm pretty sure that he'd like to get back to his normal life after the unfortunate incident. Godspeed.

sandcastle and MrClean like this.
  40. Robert Horry

Robert Horry New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Truth.

Did you hear Perkins get completely dressed down by Philbin? I applaud Philbin for that though, Perkins tried to tell him what his role was.