1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jones' problems mount after White's rant

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by unluckyluciano, Aug 23, 2012.

1. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    http://espn.go.com/blog/mma/post/_/id/13620/jones-troubles-mount-after-whites-outburst

I'm a pretty big jones fan. So I'll start by saying that.
    I also have for quite some time despised dana white, so I'm obviously not neutral on this.
    Having said that I can't say I really think jones should have to take all the flack for this event being cancelled.
    I also think dana white's rant is pretty unprofessional as it sounds like he will now be pushing a deserving champion out of the way, or at least hindering him in some way. Thoughts?

2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Skeet and I were talking about this via text. I think it's unfair that this lands squarely on Jones shoulders. I have a few points...

A. Why does him not taking a fight cancel an entire card? Thats not Jones fault/problem. That is Dana's for allowing that to happen. Call 2 guys that will slug it out like crazy (ala forrest/bonnar 1) OR move up the 2nd to last fight as main event. Why should Jones decision weigh so heavily on the entire card? Seems like a error in Danas product

Which brings me to

B. Wheres the back up plan? What if both Henderson and Jones got hurt training? (its happened before) then what? Make it a live on spike event, or keep the card live on fx or fox, try to bring in more non-PPV buying viewers on basic cable.

C. I dont know what earth I am living on, but what the hell has Chael Sonnen done to deserve being able to move up a weight class for a title fight in the best division in all of MMA, after being destroyed in a lower weight class, and coming off a longggg suspension due to steroids!?! It's a lose/lose situation for Bones. If he accepts and wins, it's what hes supposed to do, it was against a middle weight fighter moving up, if he loses.....my god if he loses, Chael would talk and talk and talk, making Jones have to prepare for another 6 months for a rematch, while there are 3 or 4 other well deserving light heavy weights, waiting to get the chance for the title.

D. Jones is the champion. He has never been beaten. Hes lost ONE ROUND in his entire career, hasnt he earned the right to be able to have the chance to train to defend the title he fought up through the ranks and busted his *** for to earn and defend? **** yeah he does.

Dana White is an idiot, he spouts off like a moron, we have seen it, but he's completely wrong here. And it's wrong for Bones to get any blame or heat for this.

For the record, I think Bones would destroy Chael, but he would have a punchers chance....

3. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Chris I totally and completely agree with you.

Also Greg Jackson advised Jon Jones against taking the fight on short notice.

Jon Jones tweeted this

"And therefore those skilled in war bring the enemy to the field of battle and are not brought there by him" - Sun Tzu

Funny that Dana White trying to blame Jon Jones for this terrible card on paper that he and Joe Silva made. Main Events have been canceled before and gone on TV. This one didn't because the card has very little appeal other than that main event.

SICK likes this.
  4. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Jones had little to gain, but everyone else lost big. And now his reputation might be taking a little hit too.

To me, Jones/Jackson have landed in GSP territory. They've got a legacy to protect and they know it. GSP may fight safer, but he accepts fights. I understand him wanting to avoid the bigger Silva -- just like Silva wants no part of Jones -- but this is a case of a dominant big avoiding a small....that hasn't been out of training for a month.

Conversely, the GOAT (Silva) carried a broken rib(s) into the first Sonnen fight. He injured it close to the fight but decided not to call it off. Jones also has that little hand surgery/no surgery thing that got the fight with Rashad cancelled last year.

Not saying Jones is scared, but it doesn't make him look good. To be accurate, Dana said it wasn't just Chael. Jones wouldn't fight ANYONE on that date. Chael was simply the only guy who was available and would take the fight.

As far as the fighters go, the vast majority aren't supporting the decision.

And on and on...

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/8/2...ones-turn-down-chael-sonnen-ufc-151-cancelled

Here is Joe Lauzon's rationale:

http://joelauzon.com/blog/2012/08/scorched-earth/

Dana said Jones was made aware of everything and his camp still passed.

DenverDolfan likes this.
  5. Muck

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Basically there are too many cards now, which is resulting in a watered-down product.

Check that, there are too many PAY PER VIEW cards. Losing a fight like this will always carry serious repercussions. But if it's on regular television rather than PPV, it's not quite as big a tragedy because you lose less eyeballs.

Dana has said eventually, the model will move from PPV to television. I hope that's sooner rather than later.

dolfan32323 likes this.
  6. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    no way in hell do they move from pay per view to tv. They'd lose to much money. Maybe when you have enough fighters you'll have a weekly thing like boxing, maybe even enough to have somewhat bigger fights on tv, but I can't see them ever completely losing the ppv. And that goes back to the problem I've always had with white, he just spouts off bull****.
    as for jones not fighting I don't blame him one bit. Eight days notice is insane. Anyone talking is doing just that talking. They are willing to more then likely take the fight because, well they aren't the champs and on top are they?

7. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    SICK- excellent post. I gotta say I really agree with what you wrote.

I sympathize with those fighters who are upset because of the cancelled card. Honestly, they have every right to be.

I also do not blame Jones for the decision he made given the circumstances.

The blame, IMO, falls on White. There has to be alternate plans. Something. Anything. Canceling an entire card because of one man is ridiculous and unacceptable quite frankly.

SICK likes this.
  8. Muck

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Vitor vs Bones now headlining UFC 152

after Machida turned down the fight (wants more time to prepare).

So it's Vitor Belfort and Jon Jones.

9. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Will machida get blasted the same?

10. Muck

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Doubt it. Different situation IMO. That card isn't depending on him. And he's in for a much more difficult fight than an out of shape Chael moving up in weight.

Turns out Anderson Silva offered to fight whoever (other than Jones) at light heavyweight to save the 151 card. But Dana had already cancelled by time they reached him. Silva said he wasn't in the best shape but would do it.

11. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Problem is Bones did the same exact thing as Machida, it's not Jones fault he held the entire card on his shoulders, thats Danas product not having a backup plan.

12. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I don't get this. I agree with most in here. 1st of all, and most important, what, the, ****, is Sonnen even doing getting an offered shot at Jon Jones when there are so many other candidates who deserve it before him. That right there should have White hanging his head in shame. He is trying to throw a replacement in there with his WWE like ability to run his mouth and sell tickets. That is the only reason he would even get that chance. Shame on you Dana!!

2nd, like it has been said multiple times, what if Jon Jones were to get hurt, or both? Where is your back up plan Dana? He had a lot of options here and decided to scrap the whole thing and throw up his arms just to throw his ego around and make JJ the bad guy.

This is a pathetic move by the UFC and there is no chance I am throwing blame at Jon Jones. Good for him!

SICK likes this.
  13. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    And right on time, Sonnen says something along the lines of Jones being a self entitled spoiled brat.

What about you Chael? Why were you even entitled to a rematch that you ran your mouth about against Anderson Silva after you got caught cheating the last fight! This guy is 8-7 in his UFC career and swears he is gods gift to Mma.

SICK and unluckyluciano like this.
  14. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    chaels a joke. What's funny is I think dana white called other fighters and got turned down, hence why chael got a "shot". It makes whites bull**** about jj turning them down look even more dumb.

SICK likes this.