1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jordon put on non-football injury list

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by PSG, Jul 21, 2013.

1. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
  2. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Am I the only one that is concerned about this? Really, If Jordan goes on the PUP we spent the 3rd overall pick on a guy that is going to do nothing his first year in the NFL.

3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    He won't, don't worry..no way he needs 8 weeks of the regular season.

4. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

The article states one r two weeks, can we get a little optimism going here please?

5. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Word.

Remember he is at the end of the recovery from his shoulder surgery. This is not really unexpected.

6. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Remember that reserve status is completely fungible during training camp. If he ended up on the regular season reserve list, THAT would be a big problem as he'd miss about half the season at the least. But you can't be on that regular season reserve list unless you were first on the training camp list and you can't be on the training camp list unless you started on the training camp list so the Dolphins are just covering themselves in case there's a setback. He can come off reserve any time during camp.

It sucks, he's going to miss a week or two of camp and he probably won't play in the Hall of Fame game...and may even miss the next preseason game. But the plan for him during the season is still to be a nickel pass rusher and then to perhaps spice him in on some other downs. I'm thinking he's about a 500 snap guy, much like Olivier Vernon last year. And I do actually think that's a significant departure from the norm for Jeff Ireland, to be willing to draft a guy like that as high as he did. Didn't think he was capable of that. But in typical Jeff Ireland fashion, when he broke into territory he hadn't been in before, he did it extremely...reminds me of Brandon Marshall. I think it's safe to say that no other player in the top 5 is going to just be a 500 snap guy.

Here's the rookie snaps of players in the top 5 since PFF has been tallying snap counts, normalized for a 16 game schedule:

Jake Long - 1068
    Chris Long - 733
    Matt Ryan - 1078
    Glenn Dorsey - 828
    Darren McFadden - 362 (RB; 185 touches)
    Matt Stafford - 1104
    Jason Smith - 775
    Tyson Jackson - 700
    Aaron Curry - 848
    Mark Sanchez - 1049
    Sam Bradford - 1134
    Ndamukong Suh - 1198
    Gerald McCoy - 850
    Trent Williams - 1019
    Eric Berry - 1104
    Cam Newton - 1061
    Von Miller - 956
    Marcell Dareus - 750
    A.J. Green - 923
    Patrick Peterson - 1138
    Andrew Luck - 1208
    Robert Griffin - 1009
    Trent Richardson - 773 (RB; 350 touches)
    Matt Kalil - 1053
    Justin Blackmon - 982

The average is 948. If you don't count the running backs (as I don't think they're comparable), the average is 981. If Dion Jordan is indeed a 500 snaps guy this year, he will be unique for a top 5 pick in the last 5 drafts.

MikeHoncho, Bpk and dolfan32323 like this.
  7. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Speaking of Jordan, I found this pretty interesting:

That very much looks like Dion Jordan lining up as a true linebacker, and replacing either Ellerbe or Wheeler. I am looking forward to see him practicing, but I think the perception of him as a defensive end is very much wrong.

8. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    That surely is what the picture has been painted, what are you thinking?

9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Cameron Wake is such a unique player.

10. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Really glad we signed him instead of him holding out given the injury. This way he can rehab with our staff instead of on his own, so to speak.

11. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think it's a bit difficult to figure for sure, but I think for certain people need to stop looking at him as a defensive end, or purely a pass rusher. A lot depends on how he develops or his skill-set. I think it certainly looks like they expect him to linebacker good rather than edge rusher good at coverage, and I think you found a highlight which suggests using him to sugar gaps would be a good fit.

Beyond that, who knows?

12. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I agree, I don't want him to just be a def end, I don't believe that uses the entire skillset of the athlete, I think what folks think is that using him in coverage is wasting his talent, I feel the contrary, I think he can do such unique things at that size it's quite unprecedented to the eye and maybe that unsureness comes out whenever they comment on of what this player should or shouldn't be doing..

To me when you just ask him to rush the passer your not taking advantage of the type of space this athlete can cover, and what can transpire negatively for the offense because of it..I can understand the angle of not overloading him and just letting him rush the passer, but he didnt seem overloaded in college when he was coming off the corner on a blitz, standing up as a five tech taking one step toward the Los, baiting the Qb into thinking the slot got a free release off the line, and literally jumping backwards (approx five yards, one movement) like some sort of freakin gazzelle to block the lane at the last second, rushing the passer with one arm. Etc.

The man literally played nickel corner....well..

I want to use all that and create a new position for this kid..some might say there's no such thing, but I believe there is something in this dudes skillset that hasn't been seen by this league.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  13. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

What really makes this dangerous and viable, and without which it would be predictable, is Olivier Vernon's good ability to drop into coverage. Pretty rare for a DE.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I still think Dion Jordan is to the defense, what Tavon Austin is to an offense. He may have a position listed in the program, but he isn't going to really have a set position.

15. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Return of the monster package ala JT?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

gunn34 likes this.
  16. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    More or less.

I think a piece like Jordan is the lynchpin in having multiple looks with a single package on defense. About the only thing left he has to prove is if he can set the edge. If he can do that, then he could conceivably play anywhere from either DE spot or all 3 LB spots on any given play. Hell, with his speed he could even be the "screen-buster" we've sorely needed against the Pats, while still being the player that least creates a mismatch against Gronk.

All of this gets even more interesting when you factor in the fact OV is already making headlines.

17. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Link? :lol: