1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JT and JP

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by NolePhin, Aug 5, 2009.

1. NolePhin

NolePhin Look out for D-Bess

Apr 27, 2009
    Davie, FL
    I know there have been threads on this topic, but now with the whole Roth situation making the possibility that JT starts even greater; how do you see the Dolphins using both JT and JP on the field at the same time?

I know that they're both more comfortable on the same side of the field, but would that be the best way to use them?

What do you guys think?

2. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    We tried using them together on the field once before to poor results, I wouldn't expect much from them as a duo, one man will be playing out of position.

Anonymous and Alex44 like this.
  3. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    True but to be fair Joey was also playing a lot of defensive end when JT was on the field. You could argue that while we used them together, we didnt use them correctly.

dolphindebby likes this.
  4. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    the only, only time, myabe..is to line up them both with the hands down on theird or 4th and long, both on the right side?

5. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Well, neither player really has the makeup to be a SOLB IMO. Porter and Taylor are best when they can rush the QB without worrying about too many assignments, asking them to change their game and still expecting the same type of numbers is going to lead to disappointment. If the coaching staff can get creative with them, maybe it can work, but I just don't see any benefit for the guy playing the left side.

padre31 likes this.
  6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, roth is back in the fold it just remains to be seen how deep in the doggy shack he placed himself.

JT at this point is a much better rover type player he has a different skill set than JP and SSOLB is not really his position down after down.

7. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    No I completely agree. My point was just its not fair to say we tried it and it didnt work, because what we tried was doomed to fail in the first place.

8. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    last time we tried that we did it in a totally different way. We had JP on strong side and JT on weak side. JP is bad at the point of attack. JT is better.

I also think JT is better with more assignments.

I am also hoping Roth is coming back whole so JT doesn't have to be Full Time.

9. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Right, but the point still stands that we'll be asking one of them to move out of their natural spot and play a position that isn't necessarily one that they are comfortable playing and one that might not make the most of their abilities.

10. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    best offensive & defensive bookends in the NFL

11. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    The Steelers and Cowboys would disagree

12. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I think it will be possible. I don't know if it will be easy but I think it could happen. Boy I would love to see it happen though.

13. NolePhin

NolePhin Look out for D-Bess

Apr 27, 2009
    Davie, FL
    On an interview with Channing Crowder, he talked about Pasqualoni coming up with new blitzes and stuff. Curious to see how he uses our new weapons on defense.

14. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    the Dolphins will be respected & feared after this season is over
    the NFL already has an uneasiness with approaching Miami
    no one is looking forward to playing us. they know the game will be bloody & brutal
    & they have learned from last year to expect the unexpected from the Dolphins
    the closer we get to the season opener, the pundits & coaches will begin to hedge their bets
    everyone who follows football knows the NewRegime is building an awesome Franchise
    first four games will be the toughest for Miami & it's my expectation we when 3 of the 4

15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't think the Cowboys are in the top two with defensive bookends after they lost Chris Canty to the New York Giants. They signed Igor Olshanksy but he's been known to be a talented but lazy player who has been a bit of a problem in the locker room, which probably explains why Dallas signed him.

In regards to Jason Taylor, I just wonder how he holds up? He's not young anymore and while he's not ancient, he's pretty old. Can he withstand the beating at strong side linebacker? I still don't think he's going to be a full-time starter however, regardless of the comments that Sparano makes of him and the impressions he's made on the rest of the coaching staff. Matt Roth is arguably the best edge setting strong side linebacker in the league and he got better as the year went on last year. Two to four times per game he saw the ball ran in his direction. Why would you mess with that? As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

* I know someone will bring up the whole issue with Roth that has gone on the last couple days but I think that will resolve its self and he'll be ahead of Taylor on the depth chart. I do think that Taylor will spell him on passing situations however.

like2god likes this.
  16. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    I interpreted 23rd's comment to mean Taylor and Porter, not the DE's. :wink2: I forgot that they lost Ellis, so I revise that part of the reply. Do you know who they have to replace him?

I agree, I don't see Taylor as anything more than a situational pass rusher at this point. I also don't think he's a good fit on the left side, strength isn't a part of his game, never has been.

17. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    The concept of them having comfort problems playing on a "side" is really silly. They can rush fine from either side, and both of them have had their best career seasons when they switched from side to side constantly. Taylor did it to avoid elite tackles in the Wannstedt era, Saban had him switch opposite the TE, and Porter did the same last year. The side isn't an issue.

Strongside OLB doesn't have to be an issue, either. Taylor isn't suited to doing what Roth does, but that's fine. Roth was playing like a classical Parcells stlye 3-4 OLB, doing the dirty work, lining up straight over the TE, etc. There are strongside linebackers like Shawne Merriman who don't do that, line up wide of the TE, and are upfield-oriented, and let the ILBs/Safeties handle greater coverage responsibility.

padre31 and alen1 like this.
  18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Anthony Spencer, the first rounder from a couple years ago, I believe.

like2god likes this.
  19. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I've pondered this issue Disgustipate, in light of the idea that the DC Pasqualoni is going "revolutionize" defensive formations.

Left Tackles are the highest paid, "best" athletes on the Oline, why bother with that matchup when the strongside can be overloaded instead?

Simply put a decent DE on the LT and make him sort of useless in the larger scheme of things, the normal argument against that is "well it's the Qb's blindside" which strikes me as an odd argument as a good pass rush will force the Qb to throw the ball early anyway, if anyone is open.

That and there are so many spread sets anymore, the Strong Side really isn't the strong side on passing downs in the "modern" NFL.

Just a thought.

20. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    the team is solid

21. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    my question with Roth is ... is he really not in shape, or is his surgery not fully healed and posing problems (bothering him) ... regardless, i don't think Roth's absence changes JTs role very much, as he can't fill in as the SOLB -- Wake will have to step up and fill that role, except on obvious passing downs where we could accept risk and potentially have JT and JP on the ends.