1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JT: Wake is the real deal

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Jul 10, 2009.

Tags:
  1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...aylor-sees-big-things-for-cam-wake/#more-3110

I started a earlier thread just based on an offhand comment from JT concerning Cam Wake, he expanded on his view of Wake in an interview at a charity golf tourney:

JT's problem back then was he was not powerful enough to play the run as well as he rushed the passer, and we had Lorenzo Brommel and Kenny Mixon as well.

The problem I see for wake is in the CFL hsi talent allowed him to make some beautiful plays, the NFL is rarely, very rarely that sort of league, here a player has to seriously battle to make a sack, Wake if anything will have to prove he can play ugly as well as simply embarrass a Olineman, that simply does not happen very often in the NFL.

But a JT endorsement is a good thing for Cam Wake's prospects with us.

2. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Hopefully he watches and learns from JT.

3. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    With two legitimate passrushers, Wake should be the beneficiary of mostly man on man blocking with a skill position player, he should mop up a bit.

PhinsRock and Crappy Tipper like this.
  4. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I think Wake will be fine. I believe he will work with his fellow defensive players, and coaches to try to exploit mis-matches as a team, and his athletic ability will take over from there.:wink2:

HULKFish, Disnardo and DOLPHAN1 like this.
  5. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    hope you're right but I'll view him as a two year project. not expecting much this year

gunn34 and Fin Fan In Cali like this.
  6. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    A 12 pack of your favorite beverage that he makes an impact this year?:yes: It could be under your tree for Christmas with a bow on it if I lose brother.

adamprez2003 and cnc66 like this.
  7. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I think our defense will keep Offensive coaches guessing where and who is coming. Will it be Langford, Merling, Dotson, Ferguson, Porter, Taylor, Wake or one of our secondary. Wake is in a great situation to succeed.:yes:

HULKFish, Disnardo, DOLPHAN1 and 4 others like this.
  8. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    a 12 pack of these?

Remy Martin Cognac the Black Pearl Louis XIII 1.75L

Email this product to a friend
    Gift Wrapping? (Click Here)

Varietal: Cognac
    Vintage: NV

Size: 1.75L
    Available: 2
    Brand: See more from Remy Martin Estate
    Sku: 101537
    Price: $29,999.99

:lol:.

ok but what does impact mean...sacks?tackles?

i'll go with Anchor Steam or Dos Equis. Whats your beverage of choice (no bow for you however. this is football for God's sake)

BTW I'll be rooting to lose. I view this as insurance as opposed to a bet :lol:

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    :yes:

Until Wake snags a couple of sacks that is, meanwhile JT and JP will be getting all of the attention from blocking schemes.

When I think of JT playing the Tiger type position, man, this should be a really great pass rush this season, JT roaming the formation, JP on the weakside and Wake maybe playing DE or SOLB.

10. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    If anyone is that insane to pay that amount for anything that silly then more power to them. They can have it.

Disnardo, Puka-head and adamprez2003 like this.
  11. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Yeah I agree.
    Last year every sack and pressure Porter got he got in spite of the offense knowing that he was the only real pass rush threat.
    This year they won't be able to just shut that one guy down to stop the pass rush. They're going to have to account for a lot more pass rush this time.

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  12. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Well, the last two players JT commended publicly, that I remember, is Vernon Carey and Matt Roth. Considering how they turned out, it looks like a huge score in Wake's favor.

Puka-head and Fin Fan In Cali like this.
  13. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Ive had regular Louis XIII and it was costly but the best cognac you'll ever have. But this just blew me away. :lol: I mean I COULD buy 2300 bottles of Stoli approximately for that amount of money and I would be set for life:lol:

14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Eh, JT was hitting golf balls at a golf tourney, Cam Wake was sweating bullets in Davie with the rest of the Rooks, JT could afford to be magnamous...:lol:

15. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I think JT is in a pretty good position of experience to judge talent on the football field, if he thinks Wake has it, I tend to be . . . well, excited. :up:

I can't wait to see all 3 of them, JT, JP and CW on thrid down pass rush situations, used correctly this time by a smart DC who'll get JT back to the kind of success he had in 2006 along with Porter because he'll know how to use them properly.

Having JT, JP, CW, and even M Roth in there along with Pasqualoni running the show just has me totally stoked to watch our Defense this season. even if it takes Wake a few games to get up to NFL speed and dirty trench fighting, we're still twice as good with JT and Matt Roth in his 2nd year working alongside and complimenting Joey Porter. But with his strength and speed, expect Cam Wake to be dominant by the time of the playoffs.

It also doesn't hurt to hear JT talking about Wake because that probably gives JT somewhat of a stake in Wake's performance, driving JT to take CW under his wing and mentor him all the more.

Tone_E, Fin Fan In Cali and padre31 like this.
  16. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Brother the youth on side of the ball with the vets of JP, and JT will have offenses going who had him? Wake has strength to give us an added push. If Merling and Ferguson can push as well, we will have speed coming from the outside. If the secondary can gel, and get ahead of the curve, that will help our front 7 that much more giving us coverage sacks. Speed kills.:hi5:

adamprez2003 and DOLPHAN1 like this.
  17. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Impact is defined as a disruptive force all year long. Could be sacks, force fumbles, fumbles recovered, interceptions, tackles for loss, and pass deflections.:hi5:

adamprez2003, late again and padre31 like this.
  18. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That is an excellent point PR, by JT saying this, he sort of has a stake in how Wake does, and FWIW, JP deferred to JT when it came to teamates asking advice, JT was the guy to ask.

19. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Very nice post brother! To get Wake up to speed in the NFL, put him against the likes of Long, and Carey. That will get him ready for the upcoming season quick.:wink2:

adamprez2003 and padre31 like this.
  20. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    And the Guards, CW could play inside on passing downs, he did in the CFL on occasion, BC used to run a 4 man Dline with 8 guys in coverage and Wake would play DT on occasion.

Preseason should be a blast, Anderson and Wake will make a really fun OLB combo.

21. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    First victim for CWake is Matt Ryan. I CAN'T WAIT!

22. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    PhinsRock, you mentioned that you would be willing to give Wake a few games to come up to NFL speed. I honestly think we will be seing a lot of him during pre-season for that reason. Granted he won't be going against top offenses all game, but it will still be better than CFL players, because well, any CFL player would rather be a second or third string in the NFL.

I am as excited as anyone and looking forward to the preseason to give us a glimpse of how he's transitioned - to a certaing degree.

Disnardo likes this.
  23. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

I would think they would do that to help him get re acquainted with lining up on the ball rather than a yard off. that might be tougher initially than the O-linemen because that has to do with his timing. I hope they run him first string 3-4 quarters a game during pr-season just for that reason.

24. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, you just know they will try all sorts of OLB combinations after JP and Roth, Wake and Anderson intrigues me a bit, both guys can motor and play OLB or De.

And Wake will be covering lots of kickoffs.

25. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    We must not take too much away from pre-season as they will not show a lot of plays, but we can observe his athleticism, reaction, and closing speed.

26. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Wake will be awesome from game one to the SuperBowl

27. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Lol, let's hope so.

28. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    True story:
    I met Zach the year Morlon Greenwood was drafted by us.In our conversation I asked Zack how impressed he was with MG so far.He told me that he's the real deal and will be a very,very good player for the Dolphins.Well,we all know what happened there.He was mediocre at best IMO.
    Now when I hear a current player evaluate other's who haven't played an NFL down.I will not hold my breath anymore until I see for myself the product on the field.
    Let's hope we have a winner in Wake.

like2god likes this.
  29. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I would say that is somewhat true 54fins, but Greenwood did play in the nfl for 8 years, the average career is only 3 years or less.

54Fins likes this.
  30. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    there will be a Triad of Terror (Taylor, Porter, Wake) assaulting NFL QB's this year :yes:

31. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

The one thing we lack to truly take the doubleing ans sliding protections off of Porter is a strong INSIDE rush next to him. We will need an ILB who can blitz well, the way the Ravens do.

In the meantime, Randy Starks provides the best penetration and pressure from the interior. On obvious passing downs I would love to see Porter and JT standing up at the OLB spots, Cam Wake, Starks and Kendall Langford as the linemen. We'd get some serious effin penetration.

I'd even experiment with some fronts where one or both of the DEs are in two point stances, to make it harder on the O-linemen. Our best rushers have great speed, as opposed to power, so three-point stances don;t play to their strengths.

What we'll have to watch out for are draw plays or QB runs up the middle against our rushes if the pressure is always coming from the outside. A guy like Starks could be trap blocked and a draw play run right up the middle if we were in a dime package.

Watch the draw!!!

And next year draft an ILB who's an aggressive blitzer. Our ILBs just can;t make it to the QB.

Tone_E likes this.
  32. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

What I noted most about Wake is that once he gets about three steps from QB's he actually DIVEs at them very suddenly and arrives at them a second before they expect it. That little explosive dive is why they don;t get the ball off... QB's misjudge how much time they have to get rid of the ball. Now, NFL QB's get the ball out quicker, but I still think he'll take quite a few by surprise. If he has a clear path at a QB he can close that last ten feet in one explosive movement.

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  33. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    A pass rushing ILB would be great. Maybe a Brandon Spikes would be available for us next year.

34. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Wake will not disappoint

35. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    But playing in the NFL for 8 years and being an average player is far far different than what you would expect if you took Zach's words at face value.

54Fins likes this.
  36. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hmm, for a bit of a offbeat theory about "why" we signed D Cameron Wake:

Cam's draft class was by far the most successful one in Tuna/Ireland's tenure in Dallas, pure Grade A speculation, however could be they scouted out Derek Wake and did not like his skill level in 05, when they scouted him in the CFL his flaws may have been rectified so they signed him over the 8 other teams he actually worked out for.

37. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    i think at times we may even see Roth, Taylor or Wake as an ILB in some formations ... Roth and Wake could handle the blitzing, Taylor could handle the TE in coverage.

Lots of variations come to mind, not to mention Roth or Taylor lining up as a DE.