1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JT's Fate tied to first pick

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin Fan In Cali, Apr 20, 2008.

Tags:
  1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I agree with the article. Found this interesting though:

"Speaking of that itch, Taylor’s success on “Dancing with the Stars” isn’t drawing rave reviews around the Dolphins facility, the source said."

"The report that Taylor wants to be traded won’t go away.

But Taylor recently told someone close to him that he plans to return to the Dolphins."

I just wish we would trade him already.

2. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

The only way I would trade JT is for a 2nd round no less!!!maybe Minn will come knocking ...who knows.

3. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Im pretty sure that If we trade JT before the draft, then it is almost certain that Chris Long, or Vernon Gholston is the pick, and NOT Jake Long. So I woudlnt be surprised to see if we announce one of those guys as the pick, then the trade... or the other way around. This story just wont go away, and it is starting to make me believe that maybe all these rumors of JT leaving/wanting to leave are true. If so, fine. He's only got a couple years left anyways, so if need be, lets trade him, and pile up some extra draft picks.

4. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

We have some major things that can go wrong with trading JT:

1) His age. While he has shown no signs of slowing down or eroding skills even at 34, the fact is that he'll only have 2 maybe 3 yrs left to whoever we trade to, that brings his value down.

2) Who we trade him to... Meaning, if it's not a team that JT wants to play for, he can just retire. Suppose Atlanta throws one of their 2nd's and a 3rd or 4th at us for him (which I don't think they'll do, but for the sake of argument), does JT want to go to another loser and another rebuilding franchise ?? NO...he'll just retire, assuming he is thru with the Fins as some suggest.

3) His salary. He's due about $8 or 9 m in salary alone this year and next. Of course he could renegotiate, but then the age factor comes back into play. Who wants to sign him for 4 or 5 yrs at his age knowing that 3 yrs would be tops for his services.

4) At his age and given his penchant for Hollywood, what team would want to trade for him without really knowing whether he wants to live out a contract with them or not. He's hinted at retirement for a couple of years now, so the seed is already planted.

I don't know whether these media reports are accurate or if it's just rehashing old news, like the rest of us. But JT holds the cards for ANY move we may make or want to make. If he vetoes a particular trade (because of it being somewhere he doesn't want to play) his value will go down, down, down and we probably won't get his true value in return. Heck, for all we know, this could be Jax or Minny or any other team spreading this stuff to drive down his compensation because wherever he goes, he'll demand the big bucks, so the only way another team can salvage is to not have give up as much, and all that's providing it's a team he's willing to play for.

Even if JT really just wants to stay here, he can muck up any trades we try to maneuver. He always has the retirement card. The bottom line is JT holds all the cards in this situation...

HysterikiLL likes this.
  5. HysterikiLL

HysterikiLL Member

Nov 26, 2007
    best post i've seen since this board begun

first&goal likes this.
  6. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Yes it does, but the market will also be driven by the amount of teams truly interested in him.

I think this is probably irrelevant, since the only teams that are reported to want his sevices and the only teams that would probably inquire about him anyway are teams that are Super Bowl contenders.

He would renegotiate much of his salary into a bonus that would make it easier for a team to release him in a few years if that's the case. The fact that many teams have a lot of salary cap room right now helps immeasurably.

A valid concern. But I would think any team seriously inquiring know it's a short-team deal anyway, and would want to speak to Taylor beforehand.

If Taylor wants to continue playing Pro Football, he probably wants to do it for a winner, and it's probably those teams that want him anyway, so I don't see a major hassle occurring with this, either with team or salary. Rumor has it there's already sufficient interest.

The NFL is a copycat league. The Giants won the Super Bowl by having an awesome pass rush, and Taylor's a guy that's given Brady fits over the years. A team like Jacksonville, who played NE tough in the playoffs, wants to win now and may find Taylor to be a missing piece of the puzzle.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
    alen1 likes this.
  7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Good post PhinsGeneral.