Just draft Melifonwu

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by invid, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Base of Gase

Base of Gase Active Member

Apr 21, 2017
    NY
    Verbatim, you said: "You've turned this into a different thing."

1) I never started this goofy tangent, nor did I turn "this" into a "different thing." You asked a question, and I responded to it. Self-explanatory.

2) You're asking for numbers that aren't measurable or statistically tracked. And if they were, the definition of the "big hit" would be subjective and prone to human bias. It's beyond silly and a puerile pursuit to ask for hard data.

3) I've already answered your questions, and if that's not to your satisfaction, oh well. I'll still somehow sleep well tonight, despite that.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  2. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    1. Yes, you did. Your answer had nothing to do with my question.

2. Interesting. You may be close to understanding the point.

3. See #1.

3. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Dupree drew "big hits" from the post about aggressive vs. passive, but I think Base is trying to say that aggressive doesn't necessarily equal a player that gambles on big hits. His other statements about big hits are kind of independent of his initial post about aggressive players vs. passive players, but when it comes to safeties I can understand why it would be hard to mesh the two conversations together.

Matt Elam had a college highlight reel of big hits, but IIRC he wasn't the best in coverage in college, and he's been kind of a bust. I worry about Budda Baker's size. He is an accurate hitter in college but I worry if that will translate to the next level. He's another guy you have to worry about at the point of attack, and you saw an aggressive small safety in Bob Sanders have a short career, probably because of his style of play leading to injuries. You never know until the guy gets to the NFL.

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  4. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    I watch a lot of rugby as well as the NFL. They are different games different requirements, but based on what I see NFL players generally try to get the big hit and Rugby players secure the ball carrier and you see a lot more missed tackles converted into big offensive gains in the NFL than in Rugby.

I strongly prefer sure tacklers over big hitters, everything else being equal. Unless you're playing at Ronnie Lott level the mistakes will cost more than the positive outcomes.

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  5. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I would absolutely love this pick. I think we go OLB but if not then this guy should be the pick. Overall there are seven players I would be fine with ....OLB TIM WILLIAMS, OLB HASSAN REDDICK, S OBI, OG FORREST LAMP, DE TAKKARAST MCKINLEY, DT MALIK MCDOWELL, OLB TJ WATT. Obi would be at the top three of that list

6. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    I think the Phins would pull the trigger on McDowell over all those players, should they stay at 22.

Base of Gase likes this.
  7. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    could be. they have met with him so there is obvious interest and we could definitely use him. There are a lot of high caliber DBs that will go late 2nd so maybe we go S in the 2nd