1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got a Wii

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by azfinfanmang, Jul 6, 2008.

1. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Alrighty, just landed a Wii. We were actually gonna wait till later this year to open it (It's really for the girls) but the timing was right to do it over the weekend.

Once again, Nintendo is absolutely incredible in their forward thinking. Great stuff, and you know this market is only going to get better and better as more interactive games come out.
    Creating Mii's is a nice touch. Personalize every single game you play.

Games: Did the Wii- Play stuff. Pretty easy and simple. Have done all the Wii-Sports games. Bowling is pretty cool.Baseball is pretty lame. Boxing actually wore me out-which is good, now I can play games AND get rid of the dinner table Mucsle.

So, what other games are "Cant miss" for the Wii?

az

2. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    From what I heard: Super Mario Galaxy, SSB: Brawl, Zelda: Twilight Princess, as well as some others. I heard Madden on Wii is pretty fun, too.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  3. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Thanks for the headsup. I am gonna wait and research pretty thoroughly (Spelling? even a word?)

I already have Many Zelda's and Madden 08 for the Gamecube, which play just fine on the Wii...of course, they are not interactive on the Wii..

I was wondering if they have come out with any new James Bond's for the Wii? Last one I had was Goldfinger for the 64, which of course kicked butt.

4. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    In fact there is, its called "James Bond: Quantum of Solace" (comes out November 4, 2008)

Here's the link (although its a bare boned website right now):
    http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/jamesbondquantumofsolace/index.html?tag=result;title;6

Also you can play Gamecube James Bond games on the Wii (I'm 99% sure on that) but of course you don't have the motion sensing stuff.

Hope this helps.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  5. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Metroid Prime Corruption!!:up:

azfinfanmang likes this.
  6. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I enjoy Madden on the Wii. I love Mario Kart Wii. Super Mario Galaxy and Zelda TP are great for fans of those franchises. Those four keep me pretty busy.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  7. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    You can only personalize like 1% of the games out there, if that. The Mii's rarely ever get used in games.

8. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    Congrats!

I got one a few weeks ago.

My boys love it. I got Zelda for me but haven't had time to even break open the plastic on it yet.

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles looks good...might want to check that one out.

on that note...I have the Gamecube version of Resident Evil: 4...anyone know if its worth buying it again for the Wii???

azfinfanmang likes this.
  9. Phin-o-rama

Phin-o-rama Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    enjoy it

super mario galaxy is great

azfinfanmang likes this.
  10. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Tiger Woods is pretty fun.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  11. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    throw some wii's on that *****!

12. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Mario Kart Wii is good.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  13. Phin-o-rama

Nov 27, 2007
    How to run homebrew applications on your Wii without opening the case

Still have a Wii sitting in that entertainment cabinet that you haven't picked up since you got to that one level in Mario Galaxy where you have to hold the controller vertically to balance on the ball and haven't turned it on since? This EDU thread will teach you how to run homebrew applications on your Wii using just your copy of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and an SD card

To start off with, you must have a copy of Twilight Princess (I'm sure you already do if you have a Wii)

Installing the hack
    Flip over your disk and look at the micro print on the inside of the disk.

[​IMG]

Look for the second series of numbers:
    RVL-RZDE-0A-0 USA

Create a folder on your SD card with your relevant code as the name under Private/Wii/Title/
    For example, my directory looked like this when I was finished
    private/wii/title/rzde/

If you already have this file in your SD card, back up the data.bin file inside to your hard drive. It is your Zelda save game file and WILL be overwritten

Download the Twilight Hack (here: http://hbc.hackmii.com/dist/twilight...v0.1-beta1.zip) and copy the data.bin file to the directory you have created.

Congratulations, you now have the hack ready to run on your Wii. Don't take that SD card out yet, we're not finished with it.

Installing the Homebrew Channel

[​IMG]

Now who wants to go load up Zelda every time they want to play some old school Mario for free? The Homebrew Channel installs a channel on your main Wii Dashboard that acts just like any other Nintendo-sanctioned channel. When you run the channel, it will search your SD card for any homebrew applications and give you a nice list of which program you want to run. Nifty! Seriously, it was the coolest thing in the world when this came out. Those other load times were ridiculous

Get the Homebrew Channel installer here
    http://hbc.hackmii.com/ (you want the .ELF download from the download page)

Place the installer file (boot.elf) in the ROOT of your SD card.

When you run the Twilight Hack, it will look on the root of the SD card for anything to run and do so if it finds it....so you can see how this was a ***** before the channel came out

__________________________________________________ _

Now the fun part.

1. Take that SD card out of the card reader
    2. Put that SD card in the front slot of that Wii
    3. Turn on that Wii

First things first. You need to copy the Twilight hack to your Wii.

Go into Wii Options --> Data Management --> Save Data --> Wii.
    Find your Zelda save, click on it, click "Erase", and click Yes. (Again, you are removing your saved Zelda game...if you want to keep this, you'll need to copy it to your SD card and back it up on your hard drive)
    Open the SD card and select the "Twilight Hack" save
    Click copy and then yes. Now exit out of the menu.
    Insert The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess game disc and run the game.
    Once in the game, either walk backwards or talk to the man standing in front of you.

This will fire off your homebrew channel installer. Allow that to run and once it's completed, restart your Wii by holding down the power button

You can now pull your SD card and remove the boot.elf and the folder that has the TP hack

Information for how to run homebrew now can be found here...it just gets technical and nitpicky after this
    http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Channel

All credit for this information goes to:
    http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Main_Page
    __________________________________________________ __

I recommend downloading FTPii next so that you can remotely load homebrew onto your SD card
    http://dl.qj.net/Applications/pg/12/fid/17219/catid/526

Alternative solution...mostly untested
    Someone was kind enough to build an installer to put everything you need on your SD card for you.

Simply download this file, rename it to end with ".exe" if it doesn't come that way.
    http://dl.qj.net/Wii-Brew-SD-Install...7207/catid/526

When you run the program, it will ask you where your SD card is, and then give you a list of homebrew applications to install. I used this to install everything but the TP hack and everything seemed to come out nicely. It will give you the latest version of emulators to play
    Nintendo 64
    Super Nintendo
    Gameboy
    NES
    Scumm (to play Monkey Island or Maniac Mansion)
    a couple of homebrew games that are pretty cool...such as Duck Hunt using the Wiimote

Everything I learned about hacking my Wii, I learned from:
    http://wii.qj.net/

14. Phin-o-rama

Nov 27, 2007
    what i just posted something and it needs to be approved by a mod? lol

15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    That happened to me yesterday. I went to post a thread of a Dolphins article and got the same message. :dunno:

16. Phin-o-rama

Nov 27, 2007
    i had a copy/paste from another message board about how to hack your wii to play homebrew games without having to open the case...pretty ingenious how it works

i guess a mod didn't approve it? wtf do i do?

17. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    i say post it...

18. TrueDolFan

TrueDolFan Minion of Satan

Jun 17, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    MUST HAVE games for the Wii:

The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Mario Kart Wii
    Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
    Okami
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    Super Paper Mario
    Boom Blox
    Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
    Zach and Wiki: Quest for Babaros' Treasure

Also, get a Wii Zapper. Link's Crossbow Training is a fun little diversion, and then you have a Zapper for games like RE:TUC.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  19. TheMageGandalf

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    :up: Indeed I am curious as how this is possible...without having to Mod it from the inside? hrmmmm interesting indeed....

20. TheMageGandalf

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    Oh yeah, one game I am going to check out that you might like is 'HOUSE OF THE DEAD 2 & 3.'

I bought the 'PERFECT SHOT' gun and a Wii Zapper for it and I am going to try it out. If the games are as fun as they were in the arcades then it should be good.