1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just My Two Cents on Various Issues

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by UCF FINatic, Nov 12, 2013.

1. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Predictions

1.) I think Ireland is let go mid-season if the NFLPA report is brought to light before the end of the season. I'm fairly confident Ireland will be let go within 24 hours of the report being made public. If the report doesn't turn up until the offseason than Ireland will be fired at the end of the season.

2.) Philbin stays as our head coach regardless of what the NFLPA report says. Ross personally picked Philbin to be our head coach and he clearly still has faith in him as evident by his support during the interview/press conference.

3.) The previous two points puts us in a predicament. We are going to try to find a GM with a HC already hired. This usually results in sub-par returns as everyone knows. What do we do? It's simple really, we promote Brian Gaine to GM. This makes sense on several levels to me. First off, it appeases Dolphins fans and (probably) the NFLPA alike. Secondly, Gaine seems somewhat qualified. He was interviewed by the Jets this past offseason for the GM position. Here is a quote about him as well:
    http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/10/21/4847228/a-new-buc-hope-believe-it-or-not-your-3-seasons-from-a-lombardi
    Less than a month ago, on October 15th, 2013 at 8:00pm Armando Salguero tweeted:
    Sorry I don't know how to link tweets lol. Anyways, this indicates Gaine and Philbin have worked together (obviously) but assuming Philibin thinks highly of Gaine he will be given a shot at GM. This would allow for a seamless transition during the season, if the report comes out then and we decide to fire Ireland then. Also this could help end the saga of only changing a GM or coach. If Gaine and Philbin turn things around awesome, if we continue to suck in 2014 and possibly 2015 we can fire Gaine and Philbin and hire a GM and coach together (which usually results in the most success). It's really a win-win situation

What I would like to see Happen
    1.) Fire Mike Sherman. His play calling has been incredibly predictable and sometimes just mind boggling. He goes away from what is working and often times seems content trying to "manage" a game as oppose to outright going for the kill.

2.) Fire Kevin Coyle. While our defense has looked good at times, we continue to get out schemed nearly every game. I've seen linebackers matched up on WRs too many times to count this season and I'm not talking the other teams 3rd or 4th WR either. Tonight alone I counted 3 times in which Wheeler or Ellerbe were asked to cover Vincent Jackson; I'm sorry but that just isn't going to happen.

3.) Fire Jim Turner. I don't think any of our offensive lineman have played well this season sans Pouncey. Martin clearly did not develop over the 1.5 years that we played for us and Clabo has been horrible after being a top 5 RT with Atlanta last year. That comes down to scheme, coaching, adjustments not being made, etc.

Inklings
    1.) Wallace is released following the 2014 season. Barring any unforeseen events I just don't see this relationship lasting much longer in Miami. He doesn't seem to fit Tannehill's preferred WR skill set and has been a liability on the field. After earning $30 million in the first 2 years none of the remaining salary is guaranteed except for a $3 million dollar injury clause.

I had others, but I'm too tired at this point. Got to be up at 7:30am for class :pity:

MAFishFan likes this.
  2. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Sounds good to me.

3. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Oh lord, please no! No more "next season" and "projects." I hope they fire Gaine too while they are at it to spare us the agony.

4. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    4. Hope we turn into the 2014 version of the 2013 Chiefs.

There's at least some talent on the team that makes them mediocre...they need better coaches and front office to get the other pieces in line (o-line, run game, various parts of the defense) and bring it all together to make a cohesive, UNIFIED unit that doesn't have locker room drama. OR a "leader" who holds positional meetings in a strip club and gets away with it. That garbage has got to go.

5. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Like it or not, that seems to be the philosophy our coaching staff has bought into with how little Dion Jordan, Jamar Taylor, Will Davis, and Dallas Thomas have played.

Additionally, he could change that mindset but for the time being given our glaring holes. I do think long term BPA and even the N+2 drafting logic could have some success given that you are still drafting a relatively talented player.

6. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    There is no N+2. There is only now. Every year is a year for itself, every year is an opportunity to win it all. Every offseason any team in the league has a chance to become great with the right moves, or destroy everything with bad ones. There is only this year.

Aquafin, Nappy Roots and FinSane like this.
  7. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    How can you possibly know what you need to draft two seasons from now? Especially since those needs can change drastically every year. And what if your players that you draft to replace older, expendable players don't develop? Couple that with your immediate glaring needs, now you even more holes than you started out with. Stupid.

8. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think those guys are on a 7 game audition.

Not impressed with Turner, think Sherman is very removable, not sure about Coyle

I think Rizzi's star is dimming.

ATLFINFAN likes this.
  9. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    As for Kevin Coyle, the defense has allowed 20 or more points in 8 CONSECUTIVE games. That alone should be enough to merit being fired.

Aquafin likes this.
  10. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    So you are okay with promoting someone already in the organization to the GM spot, who appears to be, "somewhat qualified"? I in no way see the hiring of Gaine as an appeasement for Dolphin fans. I see it as being nothing but a slap in the face to Dolphin fans. Gaine is already a part of the problem and he needs to go along with all the other individuals now working in the personnel department of the Dolphins.

There is no one in the organization who has earned a promotion from this mess and certainly not Gaine.

It is time Ross clears out the dead heads running this football team and actually hires a top tier GM. No one on this team and certainly none of the coaches, including Philbin, should feel their positions are secure. It's time to finally blow this team up and hire someone who actually knows how to build a winning football team. No one presently with the Dolphins in the front office, or on the coaching staff have shown that they are capable of doing what is necessary to turn this team around.

Aquafin and Unlucky 13 like this.
  11. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Perhaps you are right, but this year sure seems a lot like the past four years with the Dolphins.

12. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Keeping Philbin is a terrible idea. Coaching is the outstanding problem of this team, and it falls in his lap. 2014 would be a disaster, I think.

brandon27 likes this.
  13. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Steven Ross needs to watch Breaking Bad and learn why half measures are always doomed to failure.

Full measures, Mr. Ross, even if you like Philbin.

And quite frankly, the league may end up making these decisions for him. If the investigation finds that Jim Turner or other offensive coaches ordered a "code red" on Martin, then Philbin will be held ultimately responsible even if he had no direct knowledge.

Look at Bountygate. There was no evidence that Payton knew about the bounty system or approved it, yet Goodell suspended him a year anyway. If there was coaching staff culpability, Philbin will be suspended for some length of time. At that point you have a great case to fire him for cause and not pay him.

gunn34 likes this.
  14. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    I wonder if Rizzi has been given to much extra stuff to handle. He did fine when all he had was ST.

Starting completely over SOUNDS nice, but ...............remember Parcells???? That's what we did then.

15. Phinatic74

Phinatic74 New Member

Oct 12, 2013
    It seems with parity that any team can win in any given year but somehow the past 12 years have produced primarily the same organizations coming home with Lombardi trophy. Steelers 2 - Patriots -3 Ravens -2 Giants -2 the rest split between Buccaneers, Saints, Colts and Packers. The saints Colts and packers had guys named Manning, Rodgers and Brees at the helm and Tampa Bay seemed to be the only "Who the Fuh jus won the Superbowl?" anomaly. Though I do think we are at the beginning of the ultimate age of parity where there will literally be 2 New Superbowl Teams and a different winner EVERY Year for the next 10 years, starting this year with a Seahawks win over the Chiefs.

16. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    they must clean house entirely.
    None of this halfassed crap.

Aquafin likes this.
  17. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Everyone working for Ireland needs to go when he does. Total clean house in the personell department.

Aquafin likes this.
  18. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think it shows a lack of confidence in the coaches when you don't use your rookies talents...like their afraid of what mistake the rookie will make so instead bring in the vet that knows his assignment..

19. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    That's about the worst plan I've read yet.

20. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    maybe one day you can join the NFL and start a miraculous trend of rookies reliably producing from day 1, but until then you should probably keep quiet and spare yourself the embarassment.

21. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    :smackhead: WHAT.THE.HECK does your little speech have to do with the fact the overwhelming majority of college players take time to develop into reliable NFL contributors?! Free agency is for the now, genius. Just stop talking. Rookies = future; free agency = now. Got it? get it? good.

22. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Didn't say I want it to happen, it's just the way I see it happening.

23. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    I know this much as long as I have been a dolphin fan I have never been humiliated as I was Monday night . No not even the Jacksonville 61 to 7 loss angered me like this last loss . Ross didn't make billions of dollars by making dumb decisions. sure He makes bad decisions but so does every owner . what is needed for him to see things clearly is we need to go 5-11 or 6-10 then Ross will see what has to be done.