1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Justin Smiley's Rehab

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by late again, May 27, 2009.

1. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    This is a really good read, IMO.
    Smiley is dedicated and determined to come back as strong as ever. I applaud his efforts. Still, reading it kind of highlights the lingering concerns that many of us, myself included have over the long term health of our interior OL. Smiley, Thomas, Grove all have something to prove - they all need to show us they can stay healthy and on the field throughout the season. As our OL goes so will our season.

..."Justin Smiley would have loved to have taken his wife on an overseas trip or embark on one of his fishing or hunting expeditions.
    But instead of hanging out with family and friends and seeing the world during the offseason, the only place Smiley visited was the Dolphins' weight room.

Smiley, the team's left guard, committed himself to rehabilitating the season-ending leg injury he suffered last November. He swears he never missed a day and often dedicated extra hours to his weekly sessions with team trainers

As a result, despite needing three surgical procedures to repair multiple fractures in the right leg and ankle suffered during last season's victory over the Rams, Smiley is back on the practice field working with ? his teammates earlier than most expected".
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-just-smiley-052709,0,536064.story

2. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Smiley has the potential to be a hell of a player this year. The struggles at C and RG resulted in Smiley not being used to his strengths- Pulling. Hopefully Groves ability to go 1v1 frees Smiley to swing around and hit someone

late again likes this.
  3. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Great news. Now we have to address the other guard position.

late again likes this.
  4. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    There is zero doubt Mr Smiley is a key part to the teams success this year.

Its refreshing that he realizes it and is working hard to prove it :up:

Phinperor, PMZQ and late again like this.
  5. phineas64

phineas64 Season Ticket Holder

One thing you notice about 'Parcells Guys' - they get it. And football is their passion and priority. That's what will get us to the next level.

Great to see he is doing well.

6. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    3 surgeries, multiple fractures is what scares me through that story. Plus his injury history. Ouch.

late again likes this.
  7. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Yeah that was what was sort of standing out to me when I was reading it. Then add Grove's injury problems in the past and now Thomas (again). The overall shape of our interior OL is pretty precarious.
    For now all we can do is keep our fingers crossed that all 3 are going to be able to move towards a healthy season.

8. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

phineas hit on a very good point, that "Parcells players" all "get it", and you can pretty much figure Groves, Thomas and the rest of our interior OL are in there doing whatever it takes to improve their strength, health, and ability to play bigger, stronger, faster this season.

As worried as I am about our OL, in particular Thomas and the RG position, I can imagine Berger, Ndukwe and Alleman are pushing themselves just about as hard as Smiley is to get in position to earn the spot vacated by Thomas if he's not ready to go on game one.

9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I keep hearing the word transformed when it comes to our players bodies..

I think doing everything you possibly can do to make yourself better when you are not playing is the key to sucess when you are playing.

This is just
    one reason why i believe we will be a lot better football team this year. All players on same page, theres one goal, Absolutely incredible chemistry and unity, hunger, improving size and strength. leadership and the wildcat.....this is gonna be a great year.

Hopefully while donald thomas was rehabbing his foot, he was building his upper body. we need that guy.

late again likes this.