1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Karlos Dansby, OLB ILB or Hybrid?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Trowa, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    Dansby played both OLB and ILB in Arizona where he displayed keen awareness, an ability to rush the passer, and great quickness in coverage. So my question is, with our deficiencies at both positions, will he be playing ILB or OLB here? I know anything at this point is simply speculation, however I'm expecting him to be an ILB although he has the ability to play any of the 4 LB spots.

Dream scenario: Taylor-Dansby-McClain-Wake. Sure we would still need to upgrade Taylor's spot at OLB but he's got one year left in him.

All told, with the subtractions and the big addition our defense got a lot better today. If we could possibly land Atogwe or at least Sharper we'd be a NT away from a very stout defense.

2. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    We're not sure as of now. It could be a situational thing as well depending on the downs, what the other team is doing, what personnel we need most. However I would figure that he'd be the Jack with Crowder the TED as of now.

3. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Dansby will be on the field all 3 downs. thats all that matters.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  4. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I don't care as long as he knocks the snot outta the following losers: Tom Brady, Mark Sanchez, Marshawn Lynch, Shon Greene, Laurence Mauroney, Leon Washington, Kevin Faulk, and whatever scrub plays QB for Buffalo these days.

alen1, CaribPhin, Xeticus and 8 others like this.
  5. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think he will be an ILB. Yeah he has experience at OLB but to me I would like an OLB that gets to the quarterback more often, collect sacks. He hasn't really done that in his NFL career, he does have quite a lot of sacks than your average ILB. I don't want our team to put him out of position though (like we did with Porter his first year here), keep him at ILB where he has been most effective and find another pass rusher at OLB.

6. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    I think to get the most bang for the buck he'll play as a LOLB on first and second down over the TE.

That would let JT or Wake or our new speed rusher we get from the draft to play ROLB.Then on 3rd downs or any other passing downs i'd have him move to ILB where he can use his coverage skills.

The best part of his game is his crazy coverage skills, so that would be the way to get the most out of him.

7. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

It appears your nomenclature for the 3-4 LBs differs from how I learned it, which is left to right: Sam Mike Will Jack. Based on that, Jack is the one place I don't expect to see KD. He played Will in Arizona. Before that he was a 4-3 Will and began there as a 4-3 Sam. I expect he could be our Sam, Mike or Will. Not our Jack.

Agua likes this.
  8. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    That was the way I remember it in the Saban defense.

Everything I've read about Nolan's two-gapper and even his one-gapper had the TED as the the SILB and the JACK as the WILB.

9. MrClean

Here is a 3-4 article that refers to them as JACK, WILL, MIKE, SAM, weak to strong side.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2008/5/7/481970/mhr-university-modern-3-4

What about our defense under Pasqualoni? Do you recall them using one or the other of those sets of terms?

10. MrClean

Back to the more important topic. Dansby most recently was the WILB in Arizona. You think we may just plug him there to Akin's old spot and leave Crowder as the SILB?

11. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    No I don't but we are talking about the same positions fortunately. I guess we can just call it by the original term and say Dansby will be the Mike. I think Dansby will be the WILB and not the SILB.

By the way out of curiosity if it costs say our 12th overall would it be worth giving Demeco Ryans, Dansby's deal and featuring the most ridiculous ILB combo the world has ever seen. In that scenario, I go sign one final free agent in say Jamal Williams to protect the two LBs and watch as they completely devour the field of play.

12. MrClean

It would cost a 1st & 3rd for Ryans. He got the highest tender. The size of the offer sheet it would take to get him plus losing 2 picks would not be a good idea IMO.

13. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Say it were just one pick or Miami drops down to a late first round pick and gives a bargain deal to the Colts who'd love to have Demeco leave the division. The Colts give Miami their 3rd and Miami signs the deal.

Demeco is an even better LB than Dansby.

14. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    I like your thinking with DeMeco Ryans, ROLL TIDE, but I've got my eyes on Rolando McClain who I think will be even better than Ryans.

15. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    That's saying something.

16. greasyObnoxious

greasyObnoxious New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    i don't agree with that article at all. to me, it's much more difficult fo find 3-4 personnel. finding a stud NT is just about as hard as finding a franchise QB.

17. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I would say that's definite hyperbole. Within the last five years we found two solid NTs off the trash bin in Ferguson and Taylor, before that Tim Bowens was a two-gapper in our 4-3 that we had for years and yet it took ten years to find a decent QB like Pennington and a future QB like Henne.

You might not find Vince Wilfork all over the place, but you'll find some long-term NTs to be sure.

alen1 likes this.
  18. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin Active Member

Nice article although it's alot harder to find NT's and DE's will enough bulk to handle 5 on 3.

thanks

19. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    Dansby will likely spend a lot of time on the weak side ... inside or out ....

20. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I would think that where he ends up playing will depend on who else is surrounding him come June. Right now, the LBer cupboard is bare. Who do we have left....Wake, Dansby, Crowder and Torbor. Obviously there are going to be some other bodies added, via either FA or the draft. I don't think it's too important now to banter around where he'll be until we see who is going to be attending the minicamps and TC...

21. SCPhinFan

SCPhinFan Junior Member

Jan 6, 2008
    You are correct. That is all that matters. The guy can do it all thats why it was so important to land him. It also gives us opportunities to get the BPA in the draft.

22. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    [​IMG]

23. Fin

Fin New Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Orlando
    Yeah I just don't see this front office letting McClain slide past us in the draft. If he's available I think we take him.

How sick would that be Crowder/Ayodele to Dansby / McClain!

24. SCPhinFan

SCPhinFan Junior Member

Jan 6, 2008

I do not think McClain will be that good of a Pro. He is a little stiff, and not real aggressive. Also, some combine notes I read was that he is not well liked by his teamates.

I think our targets will be Berry, Earl Thomas, Morgan, Williams or Spilller at 12. If we are able to trade down, then we will be looking at Dez, Graham, Kindle, Spoon, or Hughes.

25. flynryan151

flynryan151 New Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Welker! You forgot Wes Welker! I want Karlos to decapitate him on a crossing route! Lets add Moss to the list too! If Dansby blast him across his dreadlocks early on Moss will quit! He hit Braylon Edwards one time and Braylon is done! He will never catch a pass again against us!

26. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007

27. SCPhinFan

SCPhinFan Junior Member

Jan 6, 2008

28. flynryan151

flynryan151 New Member

Oct 1, 2009

29. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I suspect Dansby is gonna be playing the WILB, Crowder's old spot. Crowder and Torbor battle it out for the SILB. Taylor @ WOLB, Wake the back up. SOLB we dont have anyone on the roster who's a good fit there. That reminds me, why did we cut Matt Roth again?

30. SCPhinFan

SCPhinFan Junior Member

Jan 6, 2008

31. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    We finally have a playmaker at LB.

32. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    What is the TED?

33. flynryan151

flynryan151 New Member

Oct 1, 2009

34. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Crowder is much maligned & under-rated
    be it as it may
    his game grows considerably w/Dansby by his side

35. flynryan151

flynryan151 New Member

Oct 1, 2009
    TED is s skinny WR that lead the league in drops, running out of bounds, and falling down after the catch. But that's not important right now! :tongue2:

36. greasyObnoxious

greasyObnoxious New Member

Jan 11, 2010

37. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    i don't see how having dansby next to crowder is gonna help crowder not wiff on sure tackles and overreact on plays.heres to hoping though.

38. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Because Dansby will be there to make the tackle instead. :shifty:

I do agree that Crowder will play better next to Dansby. Don't forget that Crowder was playing well when Zach was next to him.

m ino likes this.
  39. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Also, I'm a little confused. Shouldn't your best LB's play strong side?

40. flynryan151

flynryan151 New Member

Oct 1, 2009
    I have a feeling we will be moving him allover the field. Dansby is extremely athletic and moves well. Nolan is a mastermind at creating a mismatch.