1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keep Them All

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bpk, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Just thinking about this possibility. It's not what fans seem to want. It's not what the locker room of players is rumored to want (rumors they do not want Sherman back).

But what if we were to keep everything in place. As it is?

PROS
    - Continuity. PLayers can progress in their knowledge of the schemes and play faster rather than learning new systems. THis also allows the playbook to become deeper and more diverse, using variations on the already-known concepts.
    - By not changing schemes or GMs we also don;t risk having half the roster become a 'misfit' for a new system. Turning the roster to get the new coach's type of players is always a process that has square pegs fitting in round holes at first (See Jared Odrick as a 4-3 pass rush end last season, before OV, Shelby and Dion Jordan were ready to help there)
    - Joe Philbin could improve. He only has 2 years as a head coach. Perhaps he continues to improve after an offseason to review his own performance and learn the lessons that came out of this season.
    - Ross looks like an owner that isn't quick to fire people. That may be good in the long run, if we need to attract a top tier candidate down the road.

CONS
    - If you believe the GM has some weaknesses in evaluating OLine, we could be setting ourselves up for another year of instability on the Oline
    - Player buy-in? Much of the players discontent could be soreness the day after being eliminated from playoff contention. I also think of guys like Cam Wake fuming about missing the playoffs and seemingly wanting some changes. Perhaps that passes and rumors of things like Tannehill not being 100% bought in to Mike Sherman's play calling are healed or go away. But a rift between the players and coaching staff is certainly one risk in this scenario.
    - Is Sherman going to limit Tannehill's ability to succeed on the field? This depends on whether you agree that Sherman's play calling put Ryan is a position to fail more than succeed.
    - Free Agency decisions and contract extensions could lock us into longer term consequences. If next year does not go well, what sort of contracts are we tied into? If Ross tried to change the GM and/or Head Coach after a disappointing 2014, will we be a less attractive landing spot for prime candidates because of our salary cap and the players we are tied into for long term contracts? Do you want the pen in our GM's hand this year?
    - Lame duck year. Will the players have a sense that this staff is in a lame duck year? How will that affect the team's performance.
    - A new GM or Head Coach is not going to be wedded to Tannehill. What if we DO have our franchise QB, but his development is undermined as he is benched the second he has a bad game, or if he is forced into a QB competition where the new powers that be already know they want "their guy" to win it… except their guy has a lower ceiling? Is there potential to put a franchise QB on the trash heap because of "he's not my guy" politics. (Don't think it doesn't happen. People want to look right and they want to keep their jobs. See Jeff Ireland insisting Philbin play Jon Martin despite Joe saying he can't play football.)
    - Public Relations and Fan relations. Not sure here… but my sense is many fans will be pissed off, and the media and other teams fans will see us as dysfunctional punching bags who don't fix things when they are broken.

Thoughts?

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  2. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    no.

ASOT, Phins_Fan_87 and TooGoodForDez like this.
  3. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Ireland must go down. This organization should not stand behind morons and the fans are at pitchform time with it.

ASOT, Phins_Fan_87 and Aquafin like this.
  4. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    the only guy i really want gone is sherman, i don't care about the rest, maybe turner too, but thats it for me, wouldn't be opposed to see others go, but also wouldn't mind if the rest of them stays

2socks, cdz12250, LandShark13 and 2 others like this.
  5. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    BPK I agree continuity is a major issue but I just cant go along with this idea. If Ross keeps everything the same as A Dolphins fan for 25+ years and a purchaser of jerseys and clothing gear I can honestly tell you I am done with the Dolphins until they change owners and coaches, and maybe forever. They have take the team I grew up watching rooting for week in and out for 25+ years now and turned them into a freaking JOKE. I can't tell you one person on this team that should be in the pro-bowl.

The Closest would be wake, but Pouncey getting in for what? No one on the Line should be awarded NO-ONE! It gave up the most sacks in our History!!! This team is a steaming pile of crap from the Owner Down, and Mr. Ross I know you don't give a rats *** about my opinion or 1 fan but I can tell you that I would accept a horrible 1-15 season with a new regime change TODAY over another 8-8, 9-7 season for the next 3 years! I Just wan't some hope and anything less than Firing Ireland (the worst GM we have had) and Replacing these coordinators and OLine coach will end my relationship with this team.

FinsPensFan and ASOT like this.
  6. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    And by definition that would include you, correct? Or are you not a fan?

7. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    [​IMG]

8. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    No the fanbase is the voice of reason after 6 years of utter stupidity. The moron is the owner and parts of fanbase who are still pondering the question of whether he should be fired yesterday.

ASOT, Da 'Fins and NaboCane like this.
  9. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Doesn't matter anymore... This team needs a major overhaul and it's going to take years to fix. The offensive line needs 4 new starters. The defensive line likely needs a starting DT to replace Starks and Soliai, both starting CB's may be gone, in addition maybe a S too. Our LB's are eating cap and absolutely suck. No one knows what Miller can do long term and we won't find out soon enough because of the offensive line. Two starting receivers are CL injuries. And lastly, our QB. Certainly more talented than anyone we've had in 14 years, but still plenty of question marks.

It's going to take at least 3 years before we become relevant. We're stuck in the same bubble of mediocrity we've been in for years.

ASOT likes this.
  10. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Helllooooo, McFly ? Speaking in general, mighta heard of it. I mention it's an embarrassment to be in association with said fans. I.e. sitting next to people who ***** and complain before leaving early to open up seats for some opposing fan to move up.

GMJohnson likes this.
  11. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG]

Pariah and adamprez2003 like this.
  12. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    This is my exact thought. Alex13 is a very smart man! :knucks:

Colorado Dolfan and Alex13 like this.
  13. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Will you come to my funeral Barry?

Da 'Fins and Bpk like this.
  14. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany

no it doesn't, you realize we had a chance at going 10-6, before we laid an egg twice, i know there are "fans" out there who rather see "their team" go 0-10 , its easier to laugh about it then and get a good high draft choice, instead of picking middle of the pack....but i will take a season like this, with something to play for in week 17 over a "high draft pick" season

RevRick and gunn34 like this.
  15. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    2 things:
    My one guy I think earned a spot is Grimes above all others. Pouncey was just a name pick.
    And Wanne was a worse GM (if not in title, in the picks he made).

RevRick likes this.
  16. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Ah, I see...it's everyone ELSE that's embarrassing and stupid, not YOU. YOU are the exception, Of course...

ASOT likes this.
  17. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    We had a chance? No, I don't think we really ever did. You are what your record says you are.

ASOT likes this.
  18. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    well, 8-6 with 2 games to go...and buffalo and the jets left on the schedule, although i felt nervous about the bills game,but no way in hell did i think we would lose to the jets at home

19. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    THe main point I see differently is the turn around time. It's not like we have the players to master THIS years scheme so changing schemes MIGHT be even a little quicker.

just a thought........

20. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I didn't think we would either...until I saw the way we played against the Bills. If we had lost to the Bills by a field goal, then I would have thought we could beat the Jets. That's not what happened though, we were crushed, we had no offense at all. I knew after that we were not going to beat the Jets.

ASOT likes this.
  21. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Strong logic. We had a chance to 16-0. But that didn't happen. We were 8-8. That's the actual final record of this team. That's all that matters. And given the massive holes this team must fill, I doubt our ceiling is much higher than that, if at all. We're in trouble.

edit: The only way for this team to get passed 8-8 next year is if Ryan Tannehill becomes Tom Brady. Otherwise, it isn't happening.

22. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i felt doom after matthews dropped that 3rd down pass, up 7-0 and lots of green in front of him

RevRick likes this.
  23. P h i N s A N i T y

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Ok, now read past the title... It's a well thought out pros and cons debate..... You plain crazy now ?

LBsFinest likes this.
  24. P h i N s A N i T y

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Like I said, I didn't ***** and moan and leave early like many at the stadium do. It's embarrassing, everyone showing up late in the 1st, Booing more than they cheer, bailing early while opposing fans move into their seats, etc, etc, etc. Keep at it if you've nothing better to do on this holiday ! Happy new year.

25. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Well, my wife is working and I have two kids, so no, I have nothing better to do. I'm watching the freaking Chick-Fil-A Bowl and surfing the net on my laptop. Happy New Year.

26. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Oh, and btw, Texas A&M's defense SUCKS.

27. Bpk

The title is somewhat misleading. I'm not endorsing that we keep them all, so much as processing my thought process "out loud"
    on whether it is truly as catastrophic as many see it if we were to keep the whole group, front office and coaches.

Having looked through the Pro's and Con's there seem to be more Con's than Pro's, by a fair bit, imo. But in our current state of upset
    as fans I think many are overlooking the Pro's entirely.

The best case scenario may be something in between. The thing is, if you remove either, or both coordinators, you lose some of the continuity
    benefit. Unless you can get a replacement for Sherman who runs a very similar version of the offense.

In terms of talent evaluation, perhaps the GM and coaching staff get onto the same page this offseason. Not sure why that would happen now though,
    after two off seasons together already.

LandShark13 likes this.
  28. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    but jonathan paul manziel looks pretty good, never mind him being killed in the NFL with that read option stuff, but he looks good buying time and throwing it

Rick 1966 likes this.
  29. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Thoughts?

Keep them all if you want to continually underachieve.

ASOT, Bpk and Rick 1966 like this.
  30. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Enough is Enough of this failing Franchise! We want to be winners!!

31. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Sherman has got to go. We need new blood pumped into this offense and we need someone that can expand Ryan Tannehill's game. Shame Mark Trestman isn't available because he's really the guy Tannehill needs in my opinion.

32. Kud_II

Kud_II Realist Division

Oct 15, 2011
    Seneca, SC
    Con: Ignore the Miami fans and they won't show up for the games.

It's amazing a billionaire can't figure this one out.

ASOT and Bpk like this.
  33. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I wouldn't worry about the line. Long was let leave after he was strung along by both Ireland and Philbin. Philbin and Ireland tasked Incognito with toughing up Martin. Martin was supposed to be good. Obviously Ireland and Philbin thought we could get thru the season with what we had. No one could have seen the Incognito thing happening the way it did. Philbin is a career offensive line coach - who better to decide on a go forward basis.

Get rid of Sherman then and bring in Kubiak. Runs similar scheme and is a career TE/Backs coach. If the 2 of them Philbin and Kubiak can't put it together next year.....Fire them all

You also have a year to plan the change

On a side note, Has anyone given thought to the whole "swagger" comment. Is it possible that our players got pissed about it and quit. Swagger imply's confidence. Confidence is gained by good coaching with quality play reinforcing. Just a thought??

34. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY

I'm not sure he doesn't do well in the NFL. He isn't any shorter than Drew Brees.

35. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Continuity is good when it isn't a path towards mediocrity. It's time for a new direction.

36. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    he isn't a fan he loves losing and loves seeing the team piss on its self he and other fans like him simply don't want to win and be a great franchise they want to keep pretending and that is what they love doing is pretending . I am getting old and I want to see us get great players and have great games not this **** that we have been seeing.

ASOT likes this.
  37. Bpk

I don't really disagree. But there is a bit of a witch hunt mentality in the air that may have us missing the few upsides that coexist if Ross decides to keep them.

I, personally, do not want them to stay. But my gut is beginning to tell me there's a chance Ross is obtuse enough (or gutless and indecisive enough) to actually do so. So I am trying to come to terms with that in a reasonable way.

38. Bpk

Thanks for your thoughts.

39. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

ASOT and bigbry like this.
  40. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    After those two losses..I'm speechless.