1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keeper Question

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football' started by BrazForPhins, Jun 16, 2008.

1. BrazForPhins

BrazForPhins From south

May 4, 2008
    Hey guys, I've been thinking hard about who to keep in a keeper league I've been playing for 3 years now, but I'm still undecided so I'll ask for help:

14 man league. Head-to-Head. 1 point for YPC

I can keep 3 players. I'm undecided between these 4:

WR Reggie Wayne
    RB Ryan Grant
    RB Ronnie Brown
    RB Brandon Jacobs

I value running backs more, but Wayne has been very dependable and consistent so I'm a bit hesitant to drop him

I think Grant has the best upside of the 4, but also the bigger risk of being a bust...

Brown was amazing last year until got hurt. But now Ricky is back and will probably get some carries, and also, can Brown stay healthy for the whole year?

Jacobs was great when healthy too, but I see some question marks with him too..OL, Giants still have Derrick Ward who did fine too..

so, who'd be the odd man out for you?

thanks in advance.

2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    That's tough. I'd leave out Jacobs but that's my choice.

BrazForPhins likes this.
  3. BrazForPhins

BrazForPhins From south

May 4, 2008
    thanks

he was my preliminary option

I was trying to trade him for a pick, I see a great keeper value in all of them so I don't wanna just drop the odd man out

4. bkbuffet

bkbuffet Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Jacobs was in and out several times last year due to injury. It really seemed to me that he had some durability issues. I'd pick him as well to drop.

5. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Id let Grant go. You can talk about his sudden emergence but facts are he couldnt beat out jacobs in Giants camp, Brett Favre is gone so he will see more 8 man fronts til rodgers or someone else steps up, and his Ol is arguably the worst of the 3.

The Dolphins will likely need to be a run first team because of their lack of experience and options at the wr and Te positions. Brown is also their best wr. While he is coming off a serious knee injury I think he and Wayne are absolute no brainers. Theyre the 2 with the most long term value. Brown is the guy in Miami for the next few years and with RW over 30 we dont know how effective he will be and how many carries he will take away from ronnie. I think Brown very easily could become a Marshall Faulk type option in the passing game this year because of the type of team we're going to put out there. With the hogs in front of him its not inconceivable that he could churn out 1100 yards rushing and 800+ receiving and 10+ td's.

Jacobs is a different situation. He will likely share some time with Bradshaw (70-30?) but Bradshaw also isnt a goalline back or equipped to handle being an every down back imo. So this shouldnt hurt Jacobs in the redzone or his ability to get 20+ touches a game. he scored double digit TD's despite being hurt, his best football is probably yet to come, and hes got an excellent group of run blocking linemen. Furthermore is the fact that they have downfield passing options and a good qb which means less 8 man fronts. While Jacobs may always take some lumps because of his size, he also may yet have an Eddie George like impact. And despite his size hes still a home run threat because he breaks a ton of tackles. One aspect that does hurt Jacobs is that he drops a lot of passes and is a poor receiving option. I dont love him as a 2nd rb but you could do much worse.

Wayne is a keeper as long as Manning is his QB and playing at a high level. I think that goes without saying.

Grant is the guy id trade. You can sell someone on the fact that GB may be more dependent on him then ever because theyre starting a young qb and what he did last year in such a short time. Leave out the part that his OL is a pass blocking line that was overmatched when facing a good all around front 7 like the Giants and Dallas. Maybe the answer is to trade Grand AND Jacobs for a stud RB. If you find a team that really only has 1 RB try and trade both to him if the guy is a better option like a westbrook or Jackson or LJ etc....

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
    BrazForPhins likes this.
  6. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Really depends on league rules. I play in a league where Running backs get 2 points for every 10 yards rushing, so a guy like Brandon Jacobs who racks up a lot of 130 and 140 yard games is a stud. But if rushing yards are worth the same as receiving yards it comes down to Jacobs or Grant. Grant is tempting. But a lot of one year wonders at running back have been coming out of Green Bay. Anyone remember Samkon Gado? You have to keep Wayne. He is a about as consistent and good as it gets at WR. With Harrison on the downhill of his career he will only get better. Ronnie is a sure thing. He'll be ready to go and rack up points even if he's splitting with Ricky. I'd go Ronnie, Jacobs, and Wayne, but I'd wait as long as possible to make my decision. We usually don't announce keepers till after the 3rd preseason game in our league.

7. BrazForPhins

BrazForPhins From south

May 4, 2008
    Great points, thank u very much Boik. Especially about Grant.

I have an offer on the table for Grant that's a 1st round pick.

Of course in a '14 men 3 keepers' league there isnt a lot of blue-ships available, but in the 1st round I could get some special talent with 2 picks on hand....better than just drop the player. I'll think about it.

The potential of Brown is amazing to my homer eyes, but this year if I keep him I'll probably reach a bit to secure RW. As you said Miami will run a lot this year, so I think it's worth having both backs to be more injury -safe

For now my plan is sticking with Brown and Wayne and one of Grant/Jacobs. I'll fire some offers entertaining Grant and Jacobs for a top 5 runner...maybe I can get something special

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  8. BrazForPhins

BrazForPhins From south

May 4, 2008
    thats exactly what I"m supposed to do. :up:

The problem I have is that there are trades happening and I could lose some opportunity to ship one of them for a pick or trade 2 for 1 as Boik sugested..

and I agree about Wayne. Thanks!

9. vmarcilfan75

vmarcilfan75 blah...blah...blah... Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
    Keep Wayne/Brown/Grant
    Dump Jacobs

10. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    You have a great situation Braz. Id see what each league member was willing to give and Id be proactive about it. Sometimes for something to happen you have to make something happen and now with a first round offer on the table you know you have something to fall back on and make people bid up against. Use it as leverage.

11. BrazForPhins

BrazForPhins From south

May 4, 2008
    Yep, that's it. I'll hang on this 1st round pick offer I have for a while

There's a guy who has LT, though he doesn't have any other great keeper options.. I sent him an offer Grant+Jacobs for LT

I'll send trade offers like that to some other players...if no one bites I'll settle for the pick

thanks again!

12. phunwin

phunwin Happy kids are Dolfans. Luxury Box

I think that's a good way of doing it. That first round pick might be very valuable if you can't do the Grant + Jacobs for Tomlinson deal (that's actually pretty fair value, if he has no third keeper). Look at your league and see who might be going back in the draft pool.

Incidentally, if you have to drop one of those guys, drop Brown. I love him, you love him, we all love him, but he's coming off a knee injury and potentially looking at a split-time situation. Don't be a homer when your money is on the line.

BrazForPhins likes this.
  13. BrazForPhins

BrazForPhins From south

May 4, 2008
    First of all, thanks for the reply. :hi5:

Once I've thought like that regarding Brown...but when you look at the upside he might have...it's just too tempting to keep him.
    We now have a HC who's a former OL coach. We added some nice pieces to some already solid bodies in Carey and Satele. After almost 10 years, we have a shot in actually having a QB who will keep defenses honest.

Idk, in a re-draft I'd have Brown ranked lower....but in a keeper I think he just have a chance to be a real STUD. If he can stay healthy......is it worth the gamble? If you think all my RB's are kind of gambles :cry:

14. phunwin

In a long-term keeper league, you're right, he's got more value than a year-to-year league. But remember also that your other two RBs are young and talented as well. If Jacobs is injury-prone, then Brown is REALLY injury prone. And maybe Grant's a one year wonder, but I don't think so. In 2009, Brown might well be the best of the bunch. However, odds are that in 2008, he'll be the worst of the three. As much as I like to think long-term with keepers, you need to think first about 2008.

And remember, the history of RBs coming off an ACL tear is very poor, especially their first year. History tells us that there's a VERY good chance that Brown will be mediocre this year (I believe this is a big part of the reason that Ricky Williams figures so prominently in this team's plans.). History also tells us that there's at least a reasonable chance that he won't ever get back to his old level, though that's a much smaller chance.

15. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I wouldnt drop Brown even if he is injury prone. Jacobs is in a time share as well with a back who hasnt missed 3 of the last 4 years. So if Brown's in a time share whats Jacobs in? Plus Brown has a softer schedule.

16. phunwin

I disagree; Jacobs isn't in a timeshare, he has a defined backup in Ahmad Bradshaw.

As for the schedule argument, I'm VERY wary about putting much stock in that at this point in the season. What looks like a good run defense in June sometimes looks like an eight lane highway by October. As exhibit A, I offer the 2007 Dolphins defense.

17. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Hes in as much of a time share as Ronnie Brown is. And Brown has more ability, is basically the only proven threat on the team, and at least on paper based on last year plays a softer schedule.

18. BrazForPhins

BrazForPhins From south

May 4, 2008
    Ok, first of all, thanks guys for the help

As I said, I started sending trade offers around the league offering two of the 3 RB's for a Top 5 RB.

One guy sugested trading Grant and Jacobs for Addai. He did the offer. I was eyeing LT and Westbrook but couldn't get it done.

So I accepted. Now I come into play with

WR Reggie Wayne
    RB Ronnie Brown
    RB Joseph Addai

I'm gonna focus in drafting another RB in round 1. And I'm thinking about reaching a bit for RW, he's gonna be very important to me with Brown still on the roster. So my rb's will potentially be:

Addai
    Best RB available in round 1
    Brown
    RW

I don't consider myself thaaat improved, but I'm safer now imo. Grant and Jacobs are a bit of a gamble. What do you think?

19. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Addai is a really good player who will rush and catch passes out of the backfield. I think you did well on the trade. As for taking Ricky, he's a good player that we all love (well some of us) but I don't know about taking him in round 1. I don't understand why you would take another RB that early when Addai is a good one as well as Brown. Brown's health may be a question but you still have Addai. I would grab another one a little later. JMO.

BrazForPhins likes this.
  20. BrazForPhins

BrazForPhins From south

May 4, 2008
    Ah but I won't take Ricky in round 1, no way alen....I'll try to draft him 1 or 2 rounds before his ADP.

But I'll seek another RB in round 1 (mendenhall,mcfadden) because it's a flex formation, so if I can have 3 strong RB's then I'll do it. They will always be in play....specially if I can have Ricky backing up Brown. That's how I won the first year of the league.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  21. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Ooo ok, I thought you were saying you would reach for Ricky in round one.

Yeah didn't know about the flex formation. I guess you can go after a RB. Just a heads up on McFadden. He is expected to be used all over the field (returning punts, receiving, rushing, packages for him at QB) and the Raiders expect about 500 yards out of him this season, that's according to Lane Kiffin.

22. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Nice job. I happen to like addai as I do anyone in the colts offense. Hes a virtual lock for about 1500 total yards and 10+ tds. Theres a lot to be said for that kind of certainty. :hi5:

23. phunwin

That's not a bad move. You trade some upside for a good amount of security. My concern with Addai is that he was disappointing last year, though some of that was due to injury. If healthy, in that offense he could easily be a top 5 back.

And don't lose a ton of sleep over Tomlinson and Westbrook. They're great, but at SOME point, those guys have to decline. And when it happens, it's going to create fantasy chaos for a lot of people.

Do you know where you pick in the draft?

24. BrazForPhins

BrazForPhins From south

May 4, 2008
    exactly. I value security more than anything in fantasy. But thats why I need RW now, Brown isn't that safe, though has great upside. :up:

25. BrazForPhins

BrazForPhins From south

May 4, 2008
    Yeah, and I think it was a fair trade because he didn't have anyone really very 'keepable' aside from Addai.

I was targeting mostly Westbrook and LT because they were the options left... the teams they're part of are in need of more keeper options...The owners of Stephen Jackson, Gore, Peterson, etc were not interested in a trade at all....

I agree with the decline thing, especially when it comes to RB's..as they have shorter carreers and could suffer a carreer ending injury at any time.

My pick is low. I have the 12th pick, bcause I was 3rd place last year and we do the draft like the NFL.
    No matter how much I wanna draft the best RB available in round 1, maybe if there's nothing really worth it I'll go some other route.