1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kevin Burnett ...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Really like this interview. Shows a great deal of intelligence and realism. While a great many players talk better than reality, Burnett is all about the reality of the challenges of coming together as a defense and learning where each player is and how they react during pressure situations. He doesn't mess around but takes this job seriously. You just can't help but respect a player like this.

I like this player a great deal from what I've seen of him at SD and think he'll be a very good acquisition.

http://thefinsiders.com/blog/2011/kevin-burnett-1-on-1-8911

Trowa, dolfan7171, SCall13 and 2 others like this.
  2. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    And the Dallas to Miami pipeline continues through SD. High character guy who fits the physical dimensions. More of a coverage guy but a playmaker all the same. Like the signing and like the way he plays the game

3. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Liked how he wasn't a cheerleader and mentioned you have to see in a game , no re do , no coaching up , react , flow , communicate. He could have easily slid into the cliche answers , but he was very matter of fact , very business like. Seems very focused and with his athleticism , the dline should provide him with the opportunities to keep making big impact plays . Dansby and Burnett will be free to make game changing plays imo.

dolfan7171 and Da 'Fins like this.
  4. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    That really is a great point about the quality of the D-line. This is arguably (assuming everyone - most especially Soliai - stays healthy) the best potential D-line since the early 80's. And, if they do their job Burnett could be even better than he was at SD. If he is just as good as he was there we have an upgrade.

djphinfan likes this.
  5. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    Sounds like a smart, no nonsense guy.

6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    thought the same thing when I saw it..I liked that he wasn't gonna crown the defense when asked the question as to how good they can be...Stats show that crowder made this defense better, but Iam very interested to see what a different skillset can do there..3 down linebacker, player that can cover and snuff the flat, player that can change direction in the blood zone, a player that can hit with some impact while still being a fine tackler.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  7. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    He's great on Twitter too, @KevinBurnett47. Already interacting with fans and seems really excited to be here.

dolfan7171 and padre31 like this.
  8. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    This may sound dumb, but I'm glad Burnett's first move after the interview was to go onto twitter and offer to follow everyone who followed him, he "gets" how to build support.

As for his game, I liked him last yr, and was surprised he went to SD on a 1 yr, show me deal.

I have to wonder if we kept Crowder last season because the Tuna wanted an ILB ala Gary Reasons/Pepper Johnson who was a pure run stuffer as this move to me is really the first "big" FA signing that is all on Jeff Ireland.

smahtaz likes this.
  9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'm glad you noticed that as well Frayser, in the "modern" NFL players, especially starters, who interact with the fans build fan enthusiasm and support for the team especially if they are interesting personalities, this is one area where Cloak and Dagger/Parcells stuff does not pay off any longer.

Frayser likes this.
  10. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

11. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    JT-TimBo-Chester-Ogunleye?

Nappy Roots and padre31 like this.
  12. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

He was in SD for 2 seasons. Do you remember who put the hit on Penny in 2009 that dislocated his shoulder and put him out for the year? It was #99 Burnett.

[video=youtube;LzaFnK9HMrQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzaFnK9HMrQ[/video]

13. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I like what he has to offer. I want to see how that translates onto the field during the regular season. Very good interview though.

14. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    Good interview, he seems like a very grounded person. I know he was only on the field for 2 series last night, but I don't remember seeing him do anything.

15. Da 'Fins

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I think that was a good DL but it was not a "hold up the whole season" DL - They became soft late in the year several years. It just could not hold up. This is a much deeper unit and has the potential to be stronger. Of course it's a comparison of a 3-4 versus a 4-3. So it's difficult to really compare a DL in that respect as you have OLB's that are often working as DE's - a 3-4 sometimes becomes, ostensibly, a 5-2.

But, I definitely think an argument could be made that this DL could 'potentially' be the best DL since the early 80's.