1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keys to the Game - Miami at Carolina

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Muck, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
  2. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    This one is a bit shorter due to the short week. :up:

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It's a good one too Conu.

I to me even our pedestrian Wr corps and maybe Sperry can get behind the Panthers defense.

Conuficus likes this.
  4. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Thanks, but there are things I left out. Hard to get it done and be ready for yesterday.

I think we can win this game, the key will be patience on offense. The Panthers do not allow many big plays, so we have to move the ball down the field methodically, thankfully we have that type of offense.

5. phineas64

phineas64 Season Ticket Holder

Good write up. Even shorter this week as you said, it's better and more in depth than what you can find either in the papers or on the tv pregame shows. I look forward to reading these every week, keep up the great work!

Conuficus likes this.
  6. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Very good. I'm excited about seeing what Hilliard can do with the ball.

Conuficus likes this.
  7. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Thanks Con. Good stuff as always and lots of content even considering the short week.

Mucho Appreciated.

Conuficus likes this.
  8. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Self promotion.

:bump:

9. Trackstar

Trackstar Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    FL
    Hey Con, what would you have to see from Lex tonight to make you believe he'll be a force? Or even a decent contributor?

10. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I am concerned that he is rather straight line-ish as a runner. He doesn't show a great deal of wiggle when he runs. He does hit the hole hard and explodes forward, but he could truly use to slow down just a little if it would make him a little more elusive. That is the main thing I would like to see, and we have to wonder about his blitz pickup ability. Maybe not as much against Carolina, but as the season progresses it will be a factor.

I wonder about his hands, but in reality we don't use our backs enough out of the backfield.

That is one thing we miss without Ronnie is someone with some wiggle in their game.

Frumundah Finnatic and Trackstar like this.
  11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It will be interesting Conu, Henning knows how to play ball control, do the Wr/Te show up tonight?

12. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    We will need the TE.....absolutely need them. If not, Carolina will creep up closer. Their defense has pretty good open field tacklers across the board, (before injuries) so if we fail to use the TE we are in trouble.

It would be nice to hit a TE on a seam route for a change. That would be a first this year i think, how about a wheel route?

Carolina doesn't give up much YAC, but we don't have receivers that produce much of it, so that element we won't miss. This could be a coming out party for Henne if my timing is right regarding QB development. There is a jump after 4-5 games, and then another at 7-8 games as well. This is game 7.

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Chris Gamble is not having a very good season.

Coolish evening in NC tonight, maybe mid 50's, clear, the Hogs should not wear out quickly this year.

As for the Te, with Sperry and Haynos becomming the new Te rotation, how much will that effect the blocking schemes Conu?

Fasano was having a poor offensive season, his blocking was good up until the patriots game, and Sperry was not known as a blocker.

14. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Probably not in a good way. Haynos is pretty effective as a blocker, although he certainly isn't a physically dominant player at the point of attack. I consider Haynos to be more of a position blocker rather than a player who manipulates his man. I haven't focused on Sperry's blocking to be honest.

15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'm thinkeratin' that maybe Lex Hillard will play more of an H-Back role tonight Conu, lots of motion with Hillard as a sort of lead blocker.

16. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Maybe, we will see what they do with him. He will need to carry the ball a few times IMO just as a change of pace runner. His style may work well in this game as I think we look to run the ball right at them.

We'll see.

17. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    1). Make Jake Delhomme win the game.

Check

2). Run the ball effectively against the Carolina defense.

check despite having a MASH unit out there

3). Do not turn the ball over and make a play on special teams.

check and check

18. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Sun shines on a dogs *** every now and then. I would have liked to have seen Lex get some carries earlier in the game, spell Ricky for a bit longer of a stretch during the middle of the game. Keep him fresh for the 4th. I mean maybe give Lex 3-4 more carries and keep Ricky at around 18-22 carries a game.

19. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Thanks, Richard.

Now that the game is done...

1) Delhomme

Amazing that without Soliai and Ferguson we shut the run down. A lot has to do with an early lead that made them throw.

Great secondary play and good pass rush, with Wake forcing Delhoomme into sacks by teammates like Porter and Starks who ALSO played great (mostly).

2) Run the ball vs. Carolina

Ricky Williams looked physical, decisive and fast. The o-line did amazingy, considering the injuries. Wow. Hilliard has great north-south potentil, but he must threaten outside to avoid Defenses beginning to play him as an inside runner.

Conuficus likes this.