1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keys to the Game - Week 17 - Miami at New York Jets

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Muck, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
  2. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Good read Con. I tend to agree with you about focusing on Jones and forcing Favre to make plays with his tired arm. Getting Crowder back might be the difference in Miami going to the playoffs or not.

Conuficus likes this.
  3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nice work as always!

Conuficus likes this.
  4. BwanaZulia

BwanaZulia New Member

May 12, 2008
    If the Dolphins can shut down Jones, get us to 3rd and long, make Favre throw it under pressure, avoid Leon Washington run backs and keep Chad from throwing 2+ picks, they win.

BZ

Disnardo and Conuficus like this.
  5. PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN

PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    I freakin love your Keys to the Game reports! Great job as always.

Conuficus likes this.
  6. ascii

ascii People Watcher

Nov 27, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    Con a personal thank you for all your columns this year. You're insight and knowledge was such a great read all season long. I'm eager to read the playoff version of keys to the game. Thanks for all your hard work this year bro. :up:

mullingan and Conuficus like this.
  7. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here

Was it a fair depiction of the Jets?

I always like to find this out from opposing fans. :up:

keypusher and Zeke0123 like this.
  8. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the nice comments. I enjoy doing it, I am just happy someone actually reads them. :lol:

PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN and ascii like this.
  9. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    pfft, tons of us can't wait for them to be posted. It really is something looked for Richard, thank you very much.

mullingan, Conuficus and ascii like this.
  10. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Thanks Marty - that means a lot.

Seriously though, I am just happy to have a forum for it. I always maintain that no way is the experience ever a one way street. I gather as much information if not more than I ever put out there.

I think George (Muck), should get a good deal of credit for this each week too. He goes through it each week and adds pictures and makes sure I don't sound like a babbling idiot. :lol:

11. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

...wait, Muck adds your pictures? Boooo.

In all fairness though, Muck adds the text to mine so...:shifty:

mullingan and Conuficus like this.
  12. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here

LMAO.

Hey, I'm unionized.........there are only certain things I can do according to the regs.

13. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    I read every word and I love It Con thanks for the hard work Brother :up:

Conuficus likes this.
  14. PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN

Nov 9, 2008
    Dude, i wait all week for these to come out. They're great. Lets hope this isnt the last one.

Conuficus likes this.
  15. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Thanks. I hope this isn't the last one either.

No matter what though I'll do the Super Bowl matchup. :up:

PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN likes this.
  16. PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN

Nov 9, 2008
    Which i will defenitely read.

Conuficus likes this.
  17. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Excellent as usual Conu., so it would seem that our front three will have to stand their men up, and the OLB's will be charged with backside pursuit to shut down Thomas Jones?

And what of our Db matchups with Coles and Crisi?

Conuficus likes this.
  18. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    You mean, will the OLB's be the star of the show in terms of the run game? Maybe, yeah. A huge amount of the burden of stopping Jones will be on their shoulders. They will be responsible for setting the edge and maintaining discipline. Jones is a runner who exploits a defender over committing to certain holes.

The DB's won't be as tested as by the WR's as much as many think. The action will be underneath IMO. Short routes that will test our DB's willingness to make solid tackles. But in terms of comparisons to last week, the Jets WR scare me a lot less than KC's.

19. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That is sort of how I see the game playing out, we play for neutralizing the Jets Oline and let the Lb's make plays, but I can also see the Jets trying to sneak Washington out into screens behind the Lb's.

Hmm..I'm not sure I agree with that Conu., if our front 7 is successful at shutting down T Jones, and we move and score on the Jets D, which I think is very very likely, chances are good we see 3 and 4 wide sets and Favre going down slinging the ball around the field.

Apparently (thanks to a poster at GangGreen) the Jets defense is a shambles, to the point over the last 6 games they are 29th against the pass, and in the high 20's against the run.

IMO, the Jets Dline is just burnt out, Kris Jenkins did not play 1 gap NT in Carolina and IMO, he is just worn down now.

What do you think the chances are a safety or Nate Jones draws coverage on Dusin Keller? And what did we change last week to stop Tony Gonzo from going over 100 yds on us last week?

Courtesy of the Fellas at GangGreen:

Peyton Hillis went crazy against us as well...but still...

Conuficus likes this.
  20. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I think what happened was that we stopped being so much man to man, in your face style - which I actually called for and agreed with to disrupt the timing. The Chiefs looked like they were just going to pressure the drops of the coverage people and have Gonzalez break off of that for the short completions. I think the Dolphins switched more to an off zone in that they kept everything in front of them. They used a safety over the top of Gonzalez, and relies on letting the underneath man play with the knowledge of having help deep - therefore they could be more aggressive in their coverage.

I think we also used more cover 3 with Bell taking on Gonzo deep and with help underneath.

The Jets WR's don't run deep routes, they run a great deal of routes similar to our own wide outs. That doesn't bother me as much as a team that throws deep all the time, as we are in trouble there with the way we as a team play the ball in the air.

Also remember what I mentioned about the difference in average plays for the Jets defense over the last month. 12 more plays a game for a month? Thats another game man - seriously.

21. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Excellent again Con. Great Job!! Go Phins.

Conuficus likes this.
  22. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Nice work as always brother!:ffic:

Conuficus likes this.