1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KFFL - Matt Ryan Intrigues Dolphins

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by lbmclean_sj, Jan 6, 2008.

1. lbmclean_sj

lbmclean_sj New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    smokescreen or legit interest?

I like Beck and Ryan so I am torn on this one

I have no problem with us stockpiling QB's though

2. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Oh, I HOPE it is just a smokescreen...

#1dolphinsfan likes this.
  3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    please say its a smokescreen

4. Hellhound13

Hellhound13 New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    I kept hearing that Ryan is so clutch and there wasn't much talent around him, but I just didn't see this great QB that he was hyped to be. He appears to have a strong arm and has good size.. I just think he will be drafted higher than his value. I'd like a Chad Henne in the mid rounds for better value.

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Adamprez appearance in 5...4..3.....:lol:

For me, more Tuna disinformation being spread, not buying that for a minute.

6. Idahophin

Idahophin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Snake River Plain
    Tis the season to put on your poker face and start putting out smoke screens.

7. PhinsPhan122

PhinsPhan122 New Member

Dec 8, 2007
    No way for #1. If we traded down to the mid first, then maybe. The only reasonable scenario I would like to draft him is if we had multiple first round picks.

8. Dfan06

Dfan06 New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Miami, FL
    No this guys is freaking overrated let's build talent around Beck. If beck is not the guy let's try to find a guy later. Example: Browns with DA without those talent playmakeers he would suck.

9. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I wouldn't have a problem if we traded down into the the bottom half of the top ten and took Ryan. But not at the first pick.

10. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    I would have said it was disinformation but the caveat is that Parcells loves players from the northeast particularly from the New England area so its possible.

11. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    God... we need defense!!

#1dolphinsfan likes this.
  12. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin Active Member

Matt Ryan has had zero in terms of receiving talent to work with. His best WR was Andre Callender a RB.

Worth noting; Jeff Jagodzinski bought a new offense to BC from the Packers. Ryan learned that new offense inside one summer.

Right I have hime going around top 5-10. After the combine workouts he may shoot up to no 1 overall pick. A very good thing for the Phins and value of the No1. pick.

13. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    i would much rather have Brian Brohm then Matt Ryan IMO i think Brohm is a much better QB

14. Hellhound13

Hellhound13 New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    I think the Tuna just likes great players. In 2005 the boys 1st two picks were from LSU and Troy State.

15. slippyjoe24

slippyjoe24 New Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Miami
    I am torn ... I really want Beck to succeed, but damn man he is 27 and he will be starting his first season with a new offensive system ... I say if we trade down and get two number ones .. I say we go Ryan or Brohm and then defense with the next two picks

16. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    melbourne,fl
    im sure we are "intrigued" by a lot of players.

17. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Just call me Nostradamus. From here on out I write in quattrains. Bottom line is even though alot of people dont want to accept it, Beck is not a Parcells QB and even though Parcells loves defense he understands that you cant build a team without a QB. Ryan and Gholston are the frontrunners with C Long and Dorsey being longshots IMO. Even though I love Chris Long, a pass rushing OLB is much more important to Parcells 3-4

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  18. Hellhound13

Hellhound13 New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    And I'll write in the style of Rosco P Coltrane.
    :ffic:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  19. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    :ffic:

20. Whitedolphin54

Whitedolphin54 From the land of legends Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    Somerset UK
    Jesus you guy's Beck is our future. Until we are told different. They wouldn't lie to us would they.

21. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    This is what Bill Parcells does people.

22. Hellhound13

Hellhound13 New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    But sometimes can't a smoke screen have some truth to it? You know, like reverse psychology...j/k

23. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    And Mueller was saying "You don't use the #1 pick on a need player" before he was fired Adamprez...:thumbup:

What I do think this says is Scouts really like Matt Ryan.

24. SCPhinFan

SCPhinFan Junior Member

Jan 6, 2008
    I can see it if he is able to trade down, but no way is Ryan taken #1.

25. zodiak

zodiak New Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Whats with everyone claiming something is a smokescreen?

I recall when Saban had the #2 pick everything he did was a smokescreen!

When you have the first overall pick you can chose whoever you want....as for a team trading up thier not going to say ohh jeez miamis picking player A we better trade the farm or miami's gonna draft him.

First if miami wants that player they will pick him regardless,second the report says Ryan intrigues or miami has interest in Ryan well ofcousre they should if they are doing their job
    scouting all draft eligable players.....its not a smokescreen

26. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

We can hope he is the immediate future. Because he's approx. 4-5 years older than the typical rookie. The questions I have are these: does Beck have what Ireland/Parcells are looking for in a QB and is the new front office comfortable with Beck being our "future" given his age and how long it might take for him to develop into a starting- caliber QB. These are legitimate question marks.

27. TotoreMexico

TotoreMexico Your retarded

Jan 4, 2008
    Mexico
    Can you prove it?

28. Jsbaugh

Jsbaugh New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Parcells is not going to take a QB with the first pick. He still doesnt know what he has in Beck yet, so he is not stupid enough to dump a ton of money into a QB.
    I dont see Ryan head and shoulders above the other QB's in this draft. You could easily get a good QB in a later round.

29. Captain lou

Captain lou New Member

Dec 7, 2007
    I think we can all say we don't know what they think. We know Ireland was high on Beck before the draft last year, but now he thinks he's too old? It all just speculation from fans who will argue for or against John Beck. It is in the best interest of the team that Beck is the guy. Who cares how old he is. If he plays for 10 years you can still draft a guy in a few years and allow him to develope for a couple years. Kind of like what Greenbay is doing with Aaron Rogers.

30. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

I;m not arguing AGAINST Beck. I'm just pointing out a few things that might be taken into consideration by the new front office people.

31. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    He would never make it past the Ravens and/or Falcons. If our management doesnt feel Beck is the answer and they feel Ryan is, they will draft him. If they feel he carries too much risk they will probably go Gholston

32. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Been saying that about the talent for awhile now. Alot of people dont want to buy it for some reason. Great fact with how quickly he learned the new offense.

33. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    That's how I see it

QB Matt Ryan Boston College#1
    DE Phillip Merling Clemson #2a
    CB Trae Williams South Florida#2b
    DE Jeremy Thompson Wake Forest#3

34. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Exactly. Obviously Ryan wont be the only one that "intrigues" them. He's simply in the mix of people they consider

Unless Parcells and Ireland come to the conclusion Matt Ryan is cant miss, I figure their number one option will be to trade down. If they cant these are the players I expect them to be "intrigued" about.

QB Matt Ryan
    QB Brian Brohm
    RB Darren McFadden
    OT Jake Long
    OT Ryan Clady
    OT Jeff Otah
    DE Chris Long
    DT Glenn Dorsey
    OLB Vernon Gholston
    OLB Derrick Harvey

Obviously they are going to analyze all of these guys to death concerning the first overall.
    They will even analyze other lower first rounders in case they trade down. But all of these will begone over and over and in the end whoever they feel will make the greatest impact for our long term success will be taken. Unless we trade out

Obviously they will have other players for 2nd round, 3rd round etc. These are the only ones I think they consider with number one overall

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  35. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    LOL regarding Mueller. BPA is always a nice slogan but need ALMOST always trumps BPA. Rationalization is a wonderful thing.

It's amazing to me the disconnect between fan boards and what professionals think about Ryan. Guess we'll see in the end

36. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    The thing I liked about him when I saw him play a few times was how cool he was in the pocket. He stands in there even when things are collapsing around him and delivers the ball, knowing that he's going to get hit. Not much panic in this guy. That being said, I'm not sure he's worth the 1st pick, or a smart pick for us given the pick we used on Beck and the many needs of the team.

37. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I think that attitude is what makes him a Parcells guy. I'm not sure if Beck has that. Plus we could draft him and then immediately try to trade him to the Falcons, Ravens, Cheifs, Vikings, Bears and see who gives us the best offer

38. general tso

general tso New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Which professionals are you referring to? Most I've read have Ryan as the top QB, but they also say that he's not a franchise QB and not one of the 4 best players in this draft. Right now that usually goes to McFadden, Dorsey and the 2 Longs.

How much difference is there between Ryan and a guy like Woodson who could fall to the 2nd? Or a guy like Henne that could be there in rounds 2 and 3 or Ainge in rounds 3 or 4? What clearly differentiates Ryan from those guys?

That's even if Bill wants a QB on day one, which he might not considering our holes everywhere else, the defensive studs available in this year's top 5 picks, a preference for veteran QBs and a QB Ireland was high on in last year's draft who happens to be a QB on our roster.

39. general tso

general tso New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    A guy Al Groh says is the best player in college football and the 2nd best player he's ever coached is not going to be a longshot on a Bill Parcells draft board, especially when that player plays a position of need. We may very well go in another direction, but that kind of endorsement by one of Parcells most trusted/respected friends will weigh heavily, much more so than some scout who's high on one of the other guys.

40. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Anytime you see an ex professional athelete or coach comment about Ryan on televison they all say he's a franchise QB. Anytime you read a scouting report that's based in some part on league sources they say he's a franchise QB. Anytime you go on a fan site they say he's an average QB and not a franchise QB. Its a huge disconnect and I dont get it frankly.

Woodson might have more upside but there is a huge advantage that Ryan currently has in understanding the nuances of the game. Woodson also carries huge downside risk. Ryan doesnt

Henne can't feel pressure and is immobile. He also has to have his feet set when throwing. He simply isnt that good throwing on the run

Ainge throws with alot less velocity and has borderline starting talent in NFL terms. Verys solid college QB questionable NFL QB

Brohm has durability issues

The only QB that I see that may bring more to the table is Joe Flacco. And what seperates him is the competition he has faced