1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

King Crimson: Kings of Progress

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by anlgp, Jun 20, 2010.

1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Essential King Crimson as defined by Steve Pugmire

King Crimson are at very least amongst the leaders in progressive rock music. They hate the definition, but I'm using it anyway. They released their first album, "In The Court Of The Crimson King" on October 10th, 1969 and their latest, "The Power To Believe" on February 24th, 2003. That's 33 years, 4 months, and 14 days. There are 39 songs here, and they total 3.9 hours. These are just the ones that are the most "listen-able" in my opinion. These don't count the sonic masterpieces that lay inbetween that are more meant for musical types. Try and find a band, and you may in Jon Anderson's "Yes", or Greg Lake's (who was once upon a time a member of early KC, the ITKOTKC days) Emerson, Lake, and Palmer that rivals a span of so many years still on top of their game that contributes to the Progressive Rock Field, and I will gladly listen. Rush can also be thrown into this list as well.

For Aqua: Not to single you out Aqua (yeah I'm doing it anyway), but take note my friend. I realize nothing will ever top Coheed in your book, but I gurantee you they draw inspiration from KC, Yes, ELP, and Rush. Since I singled you out, I just know that we've had spats back and forth about King Crimson. I mean no disrespect or harm towards your taste, and if you come up with a list of Coheed songs I will check them out :up:. Just check these out for me, and tell me there isn't SOMETHING here worth listening to.

Fans of King Crimson, or newcomers alike.. There's something. Just listen. They have a cult following, but are highly unknown for the amount of influence they've had over the years.

"In The Court Of The Crimson King"
    ---
    "21st Century Schizoid Man"
    "Epitaph"
    "The Court Of The Crimson King"

"In The Wake Of Poseidon"
    ---
    "Pictures Of A City"
    "Cadance And Cascade"
    "Cat Food"

"Lizard"
    ---
    "Indoor Games"

"Islands"
    ---
    "Sailor's Tale"

"Larks' Tongues In Aspic"
    ---
    "Book Of Saturday"
    "Easy Money"

"Starless And Bible Black"
    ---
    "Starless And Bible Black"
    "Fractured"

"Red"
    ---
    "Fallen Angel"
    "One More Red Nightmare"

"Discipline"
    ---
    "Elephant Talk"
    "Frame By Frame"
    "Thela Hun Ginjeet"
    "The Sheltering Sky"

"Beat"
    ---
    "Neal And Jack And Me"
    "Neurotica"

"Three Of A Perfect Pair"
    ---
    "Three Of A Perfect Pair"
    "Sleepless"

"Thrak"
    ---
    "Dinosaur"
    "Walking On Air"
    "People"
    "One Time"
    "Sex Sleep Eat Drink Dream"

"The ConstruKction Of Light"
    ---
    "ProzaKc Blues"
    "The ConstruKtion of Light1"
    "The Construktion of Light2"
    "Into The Frying Pan"
    "The World's My Oyster Soup/Kitchen Floor Wax Museum"

"The Power To Believe"
    ---
    "The Power To Believe1: A Cappella"
    "Level Five"
    "Eyes Wide Open"
    "Facts of Life: Intro"
    "Facts of Life"
    "Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With"
    "The Power To BelieveIV: Coda"

Pagan likes this.
  2. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Here's a great article in Wikipedia about progressive rock and its history.

Pagan and anlgp like this.
  3. anlgp

How'd I forget Genesis and Tull? Never heard Soft Machine. Gentle Giant should be on this list. I don't think of Supertramp or Floyd as progressive.

Thanks Nabo

4. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    I saw Fripp play with Bowie at Madison Square Garden in like 1978.

Mindblowing.

anlgp likes this.
  5. anlgp

Fripp is actually credited for a lot of the more recognizable Bowie guitar tracks and Peter Gabriel as well. I don't know if you knew that or not. I know you knew about Crimson before I was even born (not tryin' to make ya feel old dude :lol:) but when it comes to masterful guitar playing Fripp is my idol.

IMO no one plays like he does. I mean, yeah, wankers like Stevie Vai and Ingwie weird *** last name, but those guys to me can't hold down music like he can. I really love the collaboration between Fripp and Belew over the years (would have to say everything from "Red" on up kicks ***, and the early stuff is great don't get me wrong, but there's just something about the two of them. Oh, and Bill mother****ing Bruford). I also love the double trio and.. hell I could go on forever man.

The only other guys with the technical mastery of Fripp that I would think even comes close to being able to be actually listen are:

Steve Howe
    Alex Lifeson
    John McLaughlin

But your mileage may very. :D

6. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    You had me until you mentioned Lifeson, bro. While I love Rush and what Alex brings to the songs as a guitarist and songwriter, as a lead player he's pretty overrated.

Right up there with Page. Sloppy, technically simple, but given far more credit because of the band's success.

And don't worry about making me feel old bro. I can tell you the same thing I tell younger musicians I talk to who kid me for my age....

~ I was a kid in the 60's, a teenager in the 70's, and playing clubs in my 20's in the 80's.
    ~ I got to buy the new Zeppelin and Sabbath albums when they came out.
    ~ I saw Bowie, Zep, Sabbath, KISS, Priest, Maiden, Dio, etc. etc. etc. in their prime.
    ~ I got to see ELP, the original Yes lineup, Styx, Queen, Journey, Angel, Bad Company, Deep Purple and AC/DC when they were young and hungry.
    ~ I got to see Rush when Neil had his handlebar mustache, and Alex & Geddy wore kimonos and played doublenecks.
    ~ I saw Van Halen's first tour when they opened for Sabbath, and knew they were something special.
    ~ I was playing the club circuit when the 80's metal boom hit, and SO reaped the benefits of that era! :devil2:
    ~ I saw Maiden come from nowhere to become the biggest band in metal.
    ~ I watched Priest turn from Zeppelin wannabes into the Metal Gods.
    ~ I saw Scorpions with Michael Schenker AND Uli Jon Roth.
    ~ I lived through the three greatest decades rock & roll ever knew, or ever WILL know.

I have NO problem being my age. :D

NaboCane, Den54 and anlgp like this.
  7. anlgp

Thanks man make me feel like **** for being young :knucks: :hi5: :sidelol:

Gotta say though I know what you mean about sloppy. I don't hold technical mastery to being able to play solid notes. I probably should, but Page is the reason why I got into guitar. I don't consider him a master, but that's the kind of rock I like to play. I'm a blues musician at heart, really.

As far as Lifeson, I just like how he makes the interesting changes. I gotta get those albums you recommended, but they're on the to do list :)