1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Know your enemy: The falcons

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by adamprez2003, Aug 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Big game for the Dolphins here. We saw signs of an offense last week against Jacksonville. But that was a banged up Jacksonville team we faced in the rain. This week we have a legitimate playoff contender to face. Both sides of the ball will be tested. So what to expect

Atlanta offense: The Falcons have been moving the ball in preseason but they have gotten into trouble inside the opponents thirty yard line where drives are stalling and they are settling for field goals. Look for the Falcons to go all out against us to score touchdowns and forgo field goals.

The QB Matt Ryan has looked solid but not spectacular. John Parker Wilson's arm strength would make it difficult for him to throw a football out of an elevator but he's been a semi effective game manager type. Chris Redman is a decent backup. Michael Turner had an off year last year where he came into training camp out of shape and was never able to regain his 2008 form. He has come back this year in shape and ready to prove that 2008 wasnt a fluke. And lucky for us Jerius Norwood will play against us after missing last week's preseason game. Between those two the Dolphins will be facing a good RB tandem. Add Antoine Smith who has been playing exceptionally well and showing off his speed and the Dolphins linebackers better be on their toes. Also watch for rookie RB Dimitri Nance who flashed in week one but came back down to earth in week two. He may play some in the fourth qtr.

The receivers for the Falcons took a bit of a hit when Kerry Meir was lost to injury for the year but they return the dangerous Roddy White and have the long anticipated return of Harry Douglas. Michael Jenkins has a sore shoulder injured earlier in camp and will be out. His backup the ancient brian finneran and third year eric weems will replace him. finneran has battled back problems this camp so we'll see if he has anything left in the gas tank. A name to keep an eye on is Troy Bergeron a 2nd year receiver. He's been playing well this offseason and in that crowded receiving group may find himself on the waiver wire. Possible 5th receiver for us? The TEs Tony Gonzalez who is playing in what will likely be his last year in the league and former Dolphin Justin Peele is a good blocker though he had 3 catches for 30 yds against the Patriots last week. Keith Zinger, Michael Palmer and Robbie Agnone round out the depth

The offensive line is just not jelling as of yet. Its getting better week one to week two but its not where it needs to be for the Falcons to be a playoff team. We should be able to get some pressure on Ryan, especially attacking midget armed Sam Baker at LOT. LOG Justin Blalock, Center Todd "Mud Duck" McClure, ROG Harvey Dahl, and ROT Tyson Clabo round out the starting unit and when it jells it will be effective. The backups are solid in OT Will Svitek. OG Garrett Reynolds will play but rookie OG Mike Johnson may be held out with a minor injury

Really this going to be an offense looking to have one good game before they rest for the regular season. Look for the Falcons first stringer offense to play with determination and fight for the entire half to redeem their rather tepid production so far. This is a balanced team whose only real weakness so far has been the offensive line. This is going to be a good trench battle since that offensive line has probably been read the riot act and they've shown in the past that they are better than what they've been so far

On defense 2nd year NT/DT Peria Jerry returns to action against his brother John Jerry which will make for an interesting soap opera during the game. The defensive line features John Abraham and Jamaal Anderson manning the ends. Jammal Anderson will probably never be the pass rushing threat the team hoped he would be but he's a solid run stuffer and edge setter. He may end up llosing his starting job at DE as he is being moved inside quite abit to DT. Anderson will probably sit this game out as he has a slight knee injury and quad injury. Abraham needs to bounce back from a decline of sacks from 16 1/2 two years ago to 5 1/2 last year. Watch for Kroy Biermann who has been a terror in preseason and is making quite a push for Anderson's starting DE position. The other main DE, Lawrence Sidbury is flying around and starting to impress registering a sack last week against Tom Brady. Chauncey Davis a solid backup DE. The Falcons seem to have a wealth of bodies inside with the improving Peria Jerry, Jammal Anderson slipping inside to play DT, Jonathan Babineaux playing the under tackle after a great season last year. He's quick off the ball and can disrupt. Vance Walker and Thomas Johnson are solid backups and 3rd year Trey Lewis out of powerhouse Washburn has been impressing this camp. 3rd round Corey Peters got dinged up and I'm not sure if he's going to play. Overall our inside line is going to have its hands full tonight and though I think our first string tackles can handle their first string DEs our 2nd string OTs might have a hard time with their 2nd string DEs.

The linebacking corps will see Sean Weatherspoon who started at WLB in week 1 and SLB in week 2. He has been playing well for a rookie though he has made typical rookie mistakes. Dont know where he'll line up this week but last year's SLB Stephen Nicholas has been playing well. He's undersized but scrappy. Mike Peterson is the WLB if it isnt Spoon and he's good at stopping the run and a bit of a liability against the pass. And thats the problem since none of the OLBs are good against the pass so far. Curtis Lofton manning the middle isnt the impact player the Falcons hoped he would be when they drafted him three years ago but he's improving. He had a sack last week and if he can add that to his repertoire that will help Atlanta immensely. Robert James and Coy Wire provide depth and Wire is a special teams demon

The secondary is where all eyes are focused in Atlanta. CB Dunta Robinson was the big acquisition brought in this year. This could be Robinson's first preseason game since he's been nursing a hammy. Brent Grimes, Chris Owens and Dominique Franks are battling for the CB position opposite Robinson. rookie Daylan Walker impressed early in camp. Brian Williams and Chevis Jackson round out the depth. The secondary is banged up however. Robinson has a sore hamstring, Grimes a bad groin and Owens hurt his hand last week. This made the secondary look poor against Brady but realize they were playing 2nd and 3rd stringers. Owens is a helluva run stopper if he plays. Grimes or Owens will probably win the opening day 1st string opposite Robinson. They have both played well with Owens being more steady and Grimes being more athletic. The safeties are Thomas Decoud who is unheralded but good and solid tackling Erik Coleman. William Moore and Shann Shillinger provide depth with Shillinger getting a pick last week.

Bottom line we should be able to pass due to a secondary thats in flux but we may have some problems running. Look for passes that isolate on the LBs to have a great amount of impact since the LBs are having trouble in the pass game.

Should be an interesting game. The Falcons will be our stiffest match, not just in talent but intensity

2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    im excited! fridge is packed with beer....the chat room will be fun fun fun! Then i have my radio show right after!!! gunna be a awesome weekend!

RickyBobby and DaFish like this.
  3. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    [​IMG] to injuries.

4. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    vodka is ready here too. took the day off from my night job to watch the game. something is wrong with me when i'm taking work off to watch a preseason game lol

RickyBobby and SICK like this.
  5. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    most important PS game of the year.....this is the closest thing we're gunna get to a real game until sept 12th. i give you a big thumbs up to you taking off work. the judges will allow it:hi5:

adamprez2003 likes this.
  6. gooberdoodle

gooberdoodle Dolfan in Mexico

Aug 8, 2010
    Mexico
    Good morning everyone! It's gameday! AWOOOOOOOOWOOOWOOOOWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SICK likes this.
  7. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    lovin the name "goober" haha

8. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Good write up. You are reg. season form already.

Since I live a little south of ATL. ......
    I want this game BAD. Normally I dont care about the score in preseason, but this one is different.

adamprez2003 and TiP54 like this.
  9. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    I'm going to be there.
    Preseason or not, its FOOTBALL. Some people smirk at that...I don't. I will take in as much football as I can. 3 months of baseball and nascar just don't do it for me...seeing how i hate both.
    GAME DAY BABY, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

DaFish likes this.
  10. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    If there any other sport besides football? Over the years I have found that football is the only thing I can watch and follow year round.

11. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    I would be absolutely satisfied if that remained the case. Putting out positive vibes here.

12. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    For the 3rd PS game, I would too if I were you. The last several years, the Phins have traveled to NOLA for several WEEK 4 PS games. Those really aren't worth the trip over for me, but I'd absolutely go over for a week 3 game.

13. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Not game 3 though :up:

adamprez2003 likes this.