1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kurt Warner on Tua

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Galant, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014

And it looks like one more video to come.

2. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Tua sux, Kurt Warner doesn't know anything

3. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Just watched the whole thing.
    It was a short analysis of Tua small balls. Even Warner said that Tua wasn't so good on the deeper stuff and you can't have sustained success over a season just playing small ball. Chunk yardage is key to sustained success in the NFL.

mlb1399 likes this.
  4. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    You are 100 percent right.His arm looked weak the entire season.Lets hope this will improve with another offseason to strengthen hip.
    If not we will be loooking again in 2022 for another qb.

Sceeto likes this.
  5. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    Tua's off-season work will make a difference. I have faith even as I have my doubts

6. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    Tua will look so much better IF:
    - We can keep our WR's and TE healthy all season so there isn't a revolving door there
    - We find a legit Workhorse RB that becomes our primary threat on Offense (RB Harris comes to mind)
    - Our OC tandem uses Alabama offensive concepts that Tua has had success with in the past

I don't think anyone doubt's that he is working his *** off in the offseason, and he's the leader we need.

Irishman likes this.
  7. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    Let's be accurate and fair about what Warner said about Tua's deep ball. He was hesitant at times, didn't fire off quick enough. Didn't say that Tua's arm was weak. He mentioned Tua needs to be more decisive.

Various interviews and articles have looked at the issue of openness for Tua. In Alabama he had the luxury of always wide open receivers. It was obvious to him what was open. In the NFL it's different. He has had a wake up call and needs to readjust. He needs to know what 'open' looks like in the NFL and be more decisive. If that's most of the issue then that's super fixable for Tua, I believe.

He's a very accurate quarterback which bodes well. Let's see if his mentality can catch up.

Irishman, Striking and Ronnie Bass like this.
  8. AceVentura84

AceVentura84 Member

Mar 14, 2013
    UK
    I don't recall people really questioning Tua's arm strength out of college. So what really changed when he started in the pro's?

9. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    The lack of a hip?

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  10. DOLFANMIKE

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    Just watched the break down on Tua by Warner and it's spot on. Some things I'll add...
    - The Smash concept that Tua struggled to connect on the deep routes is one of the easiest concepts in football to teach and learn. Literally every offense I have even seen or been a part of uses the concept.
    Typically the outside WR#1 runs a hook, Curl, Slant or Stop type of route and the #2 or #3 (if a Trips set) runs a deep corner route (It's the opposite of a post route that goes towards the sideline). IMO we missed Corner route opportunities more than any other route with Tua last season. I really don't think it's going to be a long standing problem with him even though it's obvious he loves the dink and dunk. I'll be surprised if we don't see some major improvement on Smash concept this season.
    - We also missed some Skinny Post opportunities upfield (It's a lot like a seam route but has a slight inside lean to the route) and it's usually ran from the most outside WR. It's a really effective route vs both Man and Zone coverages IF it's thrown at the right time. Tua needs to get rid of that pocket hop step (that's just poor footwork). I suspect he does it when he can't see where he knows he is supposed to be looking as having coached offense for 30 of my 32 years that's a common issue with QB's taking hop steps on those longer routes.
    - A big part of Tua's development will hinge on his timing and synch with our WR's and TE's. Part of that is just staying healthy and not having the revolving door in our receiving core that we saw the last several years. I'm hoping that part of our staff evaluation on players we pickup through FA and the draft put a heavy emphasis on guys that have shown they can stay on the field and play through a season. Having timing is a big part of every successful passing game.

Fincinnati, Hiruma78, Pauly and 6 others like this.
  11. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    The footwork was a surprise because coming out of college that was a strength for him.

Hopefully this is just nerves due to the faster, tighter NFL game and as he gains comfort his previous performance returns.

DOLFANMIKE likes this.
  12. DOLFANMIKE

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    QB's typically have footwork issues when the game is moving really fast against them on a given play and or when they can't see what they need to see upfield.

Hiruma78 likes this.
  13. Irishman

Irishman Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2017
    High Point, NC
    An exceptionally informative post.

Thank You.

Hiruma78 and DOLFANMIKE like this.
  14. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    Video 3