1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kyle Orton, Kevin Kolb & Matt Flynn

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by GARDENHEAD, Aug 23, 2012.

1. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    None will be starting Week 1.

I'm still fervently anti-Ireland, but I'll give him credit where credit is due. Thank God we didn't land any of these stiffs!

Boik14, Bpk, Paul 13 and 4 others like this.
  2. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Here's the thing though, if he had gotten those guys at the price he wanted, they'd be here. Ask yourself this, if Flynn had taken less money to sign here, do the Dolphins draft Tannehill? If the answer is no, then Ireland got lucky.

Boik14, Bpk, finyank13 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Matt Flynn had nothing to do one way ro the other with drafting Tannehill. It is ludicrous to even suggest it. Had we signed Flynn, we wouldn't have signed Garrard and that would have been the only difference.

Mcduffie81 and ToddPhin like this.
  4. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    To be fair, who knows what we offered and how earnest we were in our offer. Maybe we purposefully low-balled Flynn. Perhaps Philbin likes the kid, but not enough to want him in Miami, but felt it would be a slap in the face not to offer him a contract. I don't know. Maybe he would have still drafted Tanny. Maybe Tanny will suck. My brain!

ToddPhin likes this.
  5. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    If we got Flynn at the price we were offering... it would not prevent us from drafting Tannehill. Which I believe is why they offered him so little in the first place.

If they wanted to move forward with Flynn as the future, they would have offered him more.

Flynn would have been a nice stop gap to groom Tannehill under though.

Mcduffie81 and ToddPhin like this.
  6. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Care to explain this strong opinion. One could argue that if we signed Flynn, he'd have been our QB of the present and future, making Tanny unnecessary. How is that argument ludicrous?

Starry31 likes this.
  7. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    ...b/c if we thought he would be the QB of the future, we would have been willing to offer him more money. We offered him stop gap money...

Bpk, ToddPhin and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Tannehill would of beat him out..

Good decision by the coaching staff not to sign Flynn, good decision by the GM not to sign Kolb and Orton.

ToddPhin and HULKFish like this.
  9. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    or they don't sign matt flynn because they don't want to overpay or give him an automatic start and instead of having garrard or moore here flynn is here. In which case thats called properly measuring risk/reward.

10. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Because its already been stated by not just Ireland but by Ross.

Philbin did not think Flynn was the future. He thought he was a veteran backup that could hold the starting position for Tannehill. That's why they offered him a similar deal to what they offered Garrard who was/is considered to be a veteran backup that could hold the position for Tannehill.

This ain't rocket science. If you think you're wooing your future at QB you don't offer such a small contract.

ToddPhin and djphinfan like this.
  11. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The problem is that we pickup Flynn and draft Tannehill you have the HUGE problem that Seattle has right now. They just paid this guy a boat load of money and he just got beat out by a rookie. Thats not a good situation, that really makes a GM look stupid. Tannehill starting over Garrard isn't that big of a deal not that expensive. Matt Flynn is going to be one expensive backup. Something like Kevin Kolb who people around here cried to get.

2socks, HULKFish, djphinfan and 2 others like this.
  12. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    I dont think he would have beat out Flynn... b/c he wouldnt have beaten out Garrard who has been out of football for a year w/o the injury.

Moore just isnt a good QB, at least in this offense...

13. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Did the Seahawks officially name Wilson the Week 1 starter? I thought they were waiting until the outcome of game 3 of the preseason.

I wouldn't lump all three of them together as equal stiffs. Kolb is by far the worst and the deal that AZ made to get him was in a class by itself. The other two are where they are as simply free agents only. Didn't cost either team a 2nd round pick plus a good young starting corner back.
    I was not impressed with Orton in how he was so quick to sign with a team where he knew for sure he'd be a backup only unless there is an injury. He seems to have no competitive fire to want to be a starter at this point. Or perhaps he just saw the handwriting on the wall. He is fine depth for Dallas as their #2 though.
    The Seahawks never overpaid enough for Flynn that even if Wilson starts, they can't keep him as a backup. Also, he looked good this preseason from what I saw. Wilson to this point has just looked better. Makes me kind of envious that the Seahawks could get an explosive pass rusher in the 1st and then steal Wilson in the 3rd. Getting their opening day starter at MLB in the 2nd looks pretty good for them too.

I don't know what the Cards could be waiting for to name Skelton their starter. unless they are hoping against hope that somehow Kolb finally gets it and makes them appear less stupid for greatly overpaying for him. For all the folks who hate Ireland, we could have Rod Graves as our GM, then you would really have something to complain about.

14. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I believe the dolphins knew they were targeting Tannehill and had already made the comparisons and upside against Flynn, so looking back, he already did beat him out.

15. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Here's a question: If you were sold on Tannehill before the draft, as Ireland supposedly was, why flirt with ANY stop-gap when you already have Matt Moore on the roster? Why even bother bringing Flynn in? He would've made considerably more money than Garrard, so I think many of you are kidding yourselves if you think there wasn't a solid chance they don't Tannehill if they sign Flynn.

16. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Because as has been shown, Moore isn't a great fit for a WC offense.

And no he wouldn't have made considerably more money. He wasn't offered starter money. Your Ireland hate is making you take that stance.

ToddPhin likes this.
  17. MrClean

Hasn't been shown to my satisfaction. I just read some people here saying it, then others parrot them.

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  18. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    I don't get it. Why bring up moore and then compare the salaries of garrard and flynn?

19. MrClean

I guess they were sure enough that Tannehill would be on the board at 8th overall. If they felt strongly that he could go ahead of them, then to me it would have made more sense to sign Flynn. Had Flynn accepted Miami's modest offer, then simply we do not sign Garrard.

20. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Because Flynn is a better fit for the offense. The fact that they basically passed on Flynn when he was at such a low price-point should say that they felt he wasn't nearly as good as Tannehill.

djphinfan likes this.
  21. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Also, we heard reports (read: not rumor, actual reports, difference) that it was Stephen Ross who called Jeff Ireland off the Kyle Orton trade pursuit.

I give them credit for never pursuing Kevin Kolb, though.

Also I think we might be jumping the gun on the whole "Matt Flynn is just a backup in Seattle, he's such a BUST, I'm so glad we didn't get him!" sentiment.

Bpk likes this.
  22. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    According to Jeff Ireland, Matt Flynn is one of two players he's offered a contract to that did not sign, since becoming a General Manager with the Miami Dolphins. Yes, he said that.

23. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Is Flynn definitely not starting in Seattle? I didn't see or hear that announced yet.

24. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I have been civil to you, ftr.

Because we've been told the truth by Ross since then.

25. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    What you think they said and what they actually said are two different things. They didn't say they were going to draft RYAN TANNEHILL anyway. Stephen Ross said that they would have been drafting SOMEONE anyway. Big difference. That someone could easily have been Russell Wilson or Nick Foles, for example.

Philbin told you this?

26. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Because Moore + Flynn is already a decent chunk of salary tied up in the QB position. Then you have roughly 2 million towards the cap per year with Tannehill's contract. So I doubt you have all three guys on the team when the season starts. Point is, if you sign Flynn it's unlikely you draft Tannehill. You do what Seattle did and draft a guy in the 3rd or 4th round.

27. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I'm sorry but you're wrong on this.
    There's absolutely NO WAY a guy like Flynn would keep Ireland from drafting a QB he's been enamored with for 2 years and for 2 years has thought is a 1st round talent. It especially wouldn't happen now that the rookie wage scale drops RT's cost to only $12 million.
    However, there's no guarantee in life that Tannehill was going to be there at #8, and we weren't about to head into a season with just Moore & Devlin, so we did exactly what others have already suggested----- we offered Flynn top backup money, and we offered that little b/c we knew we'd be taking Tannehill if he's there.

Heck, we brought in some of his offensive coaches from TAMU and installed his TAMU offense for crying out loud. Do you think that's a coincidence?

If what you're saying is true then we wouldn't have kept Garrard after drafting Tannehill.

Bpk likes this.
  28. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't see their situation as a problem nor do I think it makes their GM look dumb. I think their "problem" would be a pretty awesome "problem" to have. Matt Flynn, if anyone has cared to actually watch him play this preseason, actually looks good. And I've heard training camp practice reports that parallel what we heard about Flynn with the Packers, that he can have entire practices where he's essentially flawless. The General Manager drafted Russell Wilson because (and he stated this) he was somewhere along the lines of one of the very best college football players he saw in 2011 period. He didn't draft him in the 1st round of course, because he didn't need to draft him in the 1st round. But he had STRONG conviction on Wilson and made sure that one way or another, he's getting him.

No matter which guy starts, as long as that player plays well, they win. That's not a bad "problem" to have.

eltos_lightfoot, Disnardo and ssmiami like this.
  29. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I'd be interested to know the numbers on the contract they offered him.

30. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    They didn't offer Flynn a big contract, which is why that disproves your theory.

ToddPhin likes this.
  31. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    It hasn't been announced because it hasn't been decided. But his fate is not in his own hands, is what people are saying. His fate is in Russell Wilson's hands.

Which is kind of insignificant thing to say, anyway. No player's fate is ever really in their own hands.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  32. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Who says I'm not?

Link?

33. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    that doesn't tie in with what you were saying though. You said why would you do it if we had moore, and then you bring up the salaries argument. Why couldn't they get then get rid of moore?

ToddPhin likes this.
  34. MrClean

Garrard was signed in March, well before the draft. IMO, he was the fallback option if we didn't land Flynn, but either way we'd be drafting a QB. Had Tannehill been gone, we may have just drafted Weeden instead.

35. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    ^Civil or mocking?

ToddPhin likes this.
  36. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Bologna. We drafted Tannehill b/c we feel RT, NOT Matt Moore, is the future. Moore is an afterthought in that regard. If anyone would NOT have been on the roster if we signed Flynn, it would be Moore. It's simple logic. If money were an issue (which it isn't) it'd be Flynn & Tannehill. Period. Moore is in the last year of his contract. You could trade him, cut him, or keep him depending on how quickly RT picked things up.

Let's look at the logic of it all. Which QB is the obvious priority on the team? It's not Garrard. It's not Moore or else we wouldn't have used a 1st rounder on QB. It wasn't Flynn b/c we didn't offer him "you are our man" money. We used a #8 pick on Tannehill, so he obviously & logically sits on top. Beyond that, you can feel free to debate who the #2 & #3 priority would've been, but make no mistake, #1 has belonged to Tannehill.

37. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Except that Garrard was signed before they drafted Tannehill.

ckparrothead likes this.
  38. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Why bring in a stop-gap when you already have Moore, is what I'm saying. Furthermore, why pay that stop-gap a bunch of money.

39. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    they didn't pay that stop gap a bunch of money. At least not as much as seattle.
    why can't you bring in a guy you consider a stop gap who could possibly be more? Again its risk vs reward.

ToddPhin and Fin D like this.
  40. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Thanks for refreshing my memory, MC.
    Signing Garrard in March for $3.0M had no impact on drafting Tannehill, which is exactly how it would've been if we had signed Flynn instead.

MrClean and Fin D like this.