1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L O S T - The Final Season

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Clark Kent, Aug 26, 2009.

Tags:
  1. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I have to say this.

I was a fan of Lost at its peak probably season 1 and 2 were great TV but then it just started to go downhill during season 3 and just became confusing with its plot holes.

The Finale catered to really the final seasons alot of stuff went unexplained. I had the suspicion during the finale that they were all stuck in some type of Purgatory thats what it looked like to me.

Ah well wasn't blown away by any account but seeing how I watched most of the series I had to watch the finale.

2. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    Desmond was also Faraday's constant, so maybe that has something to do with it. His ability to travese the shifts without ill effect.

3. AbideN703

AbideN703 Yes, I'd hit it

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    I used 'em because someone else used 'em :tongue2:

4. AbideN703

AbideN703 Yes, I'd hit it

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    Miles, Richard, and Lapidus were not in the church. No one can say why but I'd just assume that they weren't important enough or weren't a part of the original group.

The flash-sideways to me (and from what I've read on IMDB) was each of their souls living their 'lives' the way they had always wanted (in a ghost world basically). It happened but it wasn't reality as Christian said. They had all died at different points during their lives and were always going to meet with each other in the afterlife, or so it is assumed.

The only question I have about that though is that they didn't remember anything about their island lives/memories until Desmond intervened. I didn't completely understand why that was and I guess I never will unless the producers come out and tell us the dealio.

Another thing I don't understand about the flash-sideways, if it was in fact each of their souls living their lives the way they had always wanted or making amends (Sawyer, Kate), why would there have been death (Sayid killing people), almost death (Sun), and weird marriages just to bring people back to the show it seemed (Juliet)?

5. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    my friend sent me this link from the Lostpedia forum. IF this guy has everything correct, it would explain a lot:

http://forum.lostpedia.com/someone-...c0e8c&s=1ace18fcf3b20f0b812fe4c4445a5ecd&

6. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Haven't read the above yet, looks like a good read... man I slept like crap last night... you all that watched it Sunday night must have slept pretty good last night... running through crap in my head... stupid... anyway, one thing that kept me up... when Jack said "if we can't live together, we're going to die alone," that seems rather haunting now. Least he died with Vincent at his side, man's best friend. And in the church scene they were all together. Jack's character made me sad. He always told everyone to live together yet he was the one that seemed to not be able to get along with anyone.

Didn't get to see how any of the other main characters died. That's also depressing... I am depressed... and tired.

Edit... read the above and I feel a little better. I'm curious how the rest of you feel in terms of science vs faith. I'm more of a science person myself. Or at least I was in terms of the show. I wanted to know what everything was, what was the island, what was the smoke monster? Who built the cork contraption down the waterfall? I guess I didn't care as much about the characters... not to say I didn't care about them at all.

7. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Unfortunately it doesn't make much sense. Jacob didn't have to kill the MiB. Since he didn't age and the MiB couldn't kill him or leave the island while he was still alive, all Jacob had to do was, well, absolutely nothing. In fact, the basic premise of the show (and the explanation given here) is utterly ridiculous. It hinges on the one thing a Jacob with one living brain cell would never do: Bring people over.

8. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007
    It's certainly fitting in the context of the show and, more importantly, in the way it has been received. Lost quickly developed a large group of pretty devout followers (so devout, in fact, one might actually call them disciples). Not unlike a religion, the series didn't provide many answers and there were inconsistencies and "plot holes" a plenty. But the followers had "faith" (that word was probably more often used than any other when it came to the credibility of Lost) in the creators. And in the end, what the creators gave them (and what made many of them happy) wasn't an explanation - it was salvation.

If you want to look at the series as a whole and the context of its receptions in terms of faith, then Lost shares a stunning number of parallels to a religion.

AbideN703 and Paul 13 like this.
  9. femalefinfan

femalefinfan Phillies fan Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    Bring people over to the island? Hasn't he admitted to that all along?

10. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007
    Yes, that's the point. Since the MiB couldn't kill Jacob or leave the island while Jacob was still alive, bringing people to the island was the one and only thing capable of compromising its security. All Jacob had to do through all eternity was preventing people from coming to the island. Et voila, island safe forever.

11. ether79

ether79 ****

Dec 21, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana

12. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007
    And thus endanger the one thing he was sworn to protect and the destruction of which would end the world as we know it? I mean, it's certainly possible, but it would make Jacob a moron of truly epic proportions :up:

13. ether79

ether79 ****

Dec 21, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Well no one said that with immortality came genius....he was lonely I guess. I truly think what i said previously is part of it, the other part was stated during that little interaction between MIB and Jacob while playing the board game. Where MIB told him one day you can have your own game and make up your own rules.

I think the explanation the writer of that piece gave is pretty on point but missing a few things. I do think the people were brought there not only to help him right the wrong he did, but to also attempt to prove "mother" and MIB wrong about their views of humanity and humans. Jacob's own game.

14. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I do not see why. His plan worked

15. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    It's because they went to heaven/their own personal Euphoria with the people they love.

If I die and in the afterlife I'm with my family and friends forever(my idea of heaven), you can bet I'm gonna be happy.

The ending was about showing us that those 3-4 years on the island were the best times of their lives. Before going to the island many of the characters had very little to live for and not many close friends. Then they crash on this island and created connections and friendships they never had before. It was heaven for them and they didn't realize it at the time (first 5 seasons)

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  16. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I think Jacob, like his "mother" before him, simply was tired of doing the job. I think that many people were drawn to the islnad without his direct intervention in addition to the candidates and I think he had just had enough.

Remember how releived "mother" was when MIB stabbed her? She thanked him. Jacob also told Jack that he only had to do the job "as long as he could". He was free to search for his own replacement. Jack's reign lasted approximately 20 minutes, but the concept is the same.

I also wonder whether or not there actually were any rules. Maybe it's another faith v. science thing. Jacob and MIB believed in these rules, thus they existed. Hurley and Ben do not, thus no rules. I just wished they had made the stakes clearer. What exactly happened in the rest of the world during the time the cork was out of the bottle? Were there millions of earthquakes and volcanoes erupting?

17. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I suppose the reason the island is at the bottom of the ocean in the beginning of the flash sideways is that is where they preferred it to be? Since the sideways was their way of redemption? Doesn't MIB win in that though? The island is seen as destroyed? Why would they want to show it as destroyed since it brought them the best moments of their lives?? questions questions...

18. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    Exactly! Except I don't think it was ever supposed to be a mini-series but more like 2-3 seasons.

You could easily see where the first 2 seasons seemed to be headed. They essentially continued to this end in Season 6. Seasons 3-5 were a ton of crazy stuff that in the end did not seem to matter. They were caught up in the "Quest for more Money" and had no plans of how to extend the series longer then 2-3 seasons. So to me it seemed as though they were just throwing crap at the wall. I can't look at Lost as a pure story because of this.

It is still on of the most epic stories ever written, and some of the best TV. But due to compromising to extend the series, the actual vision of the story was corrupted. I just believe it could have been much better left in its original format.

I personally think Band of Brothers was the greatest thing ever to be put onto film. If Lost could have stayed on its original track, it may have overtaken it.

19. The Rev

The Rev Totus Tuus Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box Club Member

..speaking of faith, I found this in a blog:

I'm so upset at myself that I didn't see the whole "shepherd" thing as he being the one to give them the answers. But, I'm sure ya'll saw that in Season 1 :lol:

Very interesting, indeed. The blog also compares Eloise Hawking to a C.S. Lewis book.

Enjoy. :wink2:

Link

FinsPensFan and Paul 13 like this.
  20. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Nice read Rev!

The Rev likes this.
  21. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Great read, great catch on the Inferno reference
    I also thought of that since Cooper was frozen in his own body.

22. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I'll be the first ***-hole to bring it up... Movie or spinoff series coming? Would have liked to have seen the island storyline end better than it did. What happened with the survivors that left on the plane? Did they just land at LAX with no questions asked? What happened to the other people on the plane when they first got back to the island (the ones that disappeared?... are they going to appear in Langoliers 2?) How did Hurley and Ben die? What happened to Desmond?

23. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    I'm sure Hurley and Ben lived a long time on the island as referenced at the church. Hurley says to Ben, "you made a great number 2", and Ben says back "You made a great number 1."

I'd like to know what happened to Desmond though. Looks like he got stuck on the island but who knows.

Paul 13 likes this.
  24. femalefinfan

femalefinfan Phillies fan Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    My list of Lost spinoffs

1. The Hurley and Ben show- self explanitory
    2. Dharmaville- life and times of the people of Dharma
    3. Le Fleur- a buddy cop show featuring Miles and Sawyer, guest apperances by Ana Lucia
    4. Gray Scrubs- a hospital drama with Jack, Juilette, and Ethan

I'm pondering more and will post them when I iron out the details...

The Rev and Paul 13 like this.
  25. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I just think the ending cheapened up the rest of the survivors, other than Jack. Writers spent a lot of time developing all of the characters and then just to show them in the FS state (along with the ones that died before) only at the end, leaves me wanting more. In a way it made, for example, Sawyer's character equal to Shannon's in terms of conclusion, they got the same ending. I got the feeling from watching the Kimmel show that a lot of them were pissed off at the way it ended, not just upset about not having a job :lol:

Desmond, perhaps he made it back to his yacht, after Kate and Sawyer took it to the other island, who knows though...

26. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
  27. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    If there's money to be made, someone will try. "Found" the life and times of the survivors (Desmond, Sawyer, Kate, Miles, Lapidus) off the island, with special guest appearances by Hurley and Ben as they seek their help in protecting the island.

orrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Lapidus... Pilot... stories of the emergencies in flight travel. Airport 2010!! Lapidus flies the world's largest airplane, the Airbus 380. Lots of celebrities make cameo appearances... as they fight to survive! Carl Lewis, Cher, Danny Baldwin star... Those Airport movies from the 70's were great...

28. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
  29. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdbVEJHqS38"]YouTube- This Week in Unnecessary Censorship - LOST Edition - HD[/ame]

Firesole, Mainge, FinsPensFan and 3 others like this.
  30. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  31. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    :lol:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYOYfJQbA7g"]YouTube- Alternate "LOST" Ending with Vincent[/ame]

32. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
  33. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I would love to see Hugo and Ben's awesome adventure.

"We're gonna have to **** the boy"

"WHAT?"

34. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    So Sayeed reunites with Shannon? What about Nadia? The supposed love of his life that he spends years pursuing? The woman he marries at one point? So when he dies he is reuinited with a girl that he had a relationship with for a few days? It doesnt' make sense to me. The Claire/Charlie reunion was a touching moment and very well done IMO.

35. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Hugo was obviously fond of him and Locke forgave him so I'm not so sure about that. I don't think he was going to a different place, he seemed to have redeemed himself. Maybe he felt he didn't deserve to go in with them yet, but I don't think it was because he couldn't.

36. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    True about Sayid or Sayeed? Maybe because Nadia's moments coincided with some of his bad moments in life, the torturing, having to kill for Ben because of how her life ended, etc. Sure, on the island he did some bad things, killing Dogen, but he also saved Jack and the rest who were on the sub by sacrificing himself... that was the ultimate redemption. And I suppose the one way for the writers to put him in the church scene was to have him reunite with Shannon in the afterlife. If you think of the island as the common theme for bringing them all together in the afterlife, then seeing Nadia there wouldn't have made sense. Not sure why Desmond's wife was there though, since she never visited the island?

The Rev likes this.
  37. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Right, Desmond's wife was there because she is supposed to be the person he would want to spend the afterlife with. I'm just not tracking how Sayeed forms a stronger bond with Shannon than with Nadia.

38. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I've still been trying to figure out this finale. Jack's dad said everything that happened on the island was real. So the 'parallel' world where they meet in the church, this is some kind of purgatory they all went to after they died? But in that case none of them remembered their 'real' lives until the end. So they mostly redeemed themselves without knowing it. I'm also still trying to figure out how they survive the atomic bomb blast. Was the blast effect erased due to some kind of law not allowing them to undue what had already been done?

39. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    Anyone have an explanation for "the darkness" that, according to Dogen, was growing in Sayid and, prior to that, Claire?

It certainly feels like that plot line was swept right under the rug.

40. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I thought it was because Sayid had to let go of Nadia.

The Darkness and the Sickness are one and the same it seems.