1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Injuries: Lucky or Well-Trained

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by GARDENHEAD, Nov 4, 2008.

1. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Let me begin this tread with the following:

I do not believe in jinxes. I don't believe that I, sitting behind my computer, can affect the outcome of games. I don't knock on wood, I don't believe in prayer, and I don't believe in luck. We live in a crazy world where crazy stuff just happens. So don't give me any crap about what I'm about to write:

We have had almost no injured players so far this year Have we even placed anyone on the IR? Has any starter missed multiple games due to injury? I think the answer is no and no.

Hopefully, this lack of injuries is based on an excellent training staff and will continue for years to come. There will always be fluke injuries, but so far, we haven't had guys with lingering hamstring problems or ankle sprains and the like. If we can stay healthy, I really see no reason why we can't enter week 17 with 9 wins. I want so badly to have that week 17, December 28 game to mean something for us.

GO PHINS!

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Michael Lehan I think is on IR. I know don thomas is.

3. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

We have a few players on IR, but no where near the levels we have become accustom to. I think credit needs to go to Sparano and Co. for the added emphasis on conditioning in the offseason. Every player talked about how much harder it was this season and I think it is paying off for us now.

Agua and PhinsRock like this.
  4. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Donald Thomas, Michael Lehan, Tab Perry, Aaron Halterman and Kelvin Smith are on IR.

As for the luck vs. conditioning issue, you essentially need both. Implementing a good conditioning program goes a long way in significantly reducing injuries but you'll also need that bit of luck (or let's call it variance to be more precise) that the injuries you do encounter happen to the Lehans and Perrys and Haltermans. Losing only one starter to injuries by week 8 says a lot about this conditioning program. But you also have to be "lucky" enough for that starter to be Donald Thomas - and not Jake Long, Chad Pennington or Ronnie Brown.

5. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    Conditioning is a huge factor, with a sprinkling of luck. How many seasons did Penny stay healthy under Edwards? How many Chiefs QBs are injured this year? :shifty:

6. aesop

aesop Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    NYC
    Cam was the worst coach ever at conditioning.

Seriously.

NorFlaFin, funkdat, Mindwarp and 2 others like this.
  7. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I remember Parcell's comments about team injuries and how serious he took that. I believe the Coach and training staff deserves a lot of credit but it all started with Parcells and his view of Miami's past injury problems.

8. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

We have some injuries, but there can be no doubt we have far less than last year thanks to the serious conditioning program the coaching staff put in place. It was the first thing they did I think, and it is paying big dividends IMHO.

9. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    The season is only half over....

Mindwarp likes this.
  10. "....or half full?" something like that??? :)

Parcells focused hard on the injury history as soon as he walked in the door and made daily strengthening/conditioning a top priority...and it shows

finsgirlie, funkdat and Agua like this.
  11. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

This is very true Vendigo...look at Brady...did he suddenly not follow the conditioning that he's always followed this season and that's why he got hurt ?? Doubtful...but luck is a component...

In one of Don Shula's books he says you need 4 elements to win a championship....Offense, Defense, STs and Luck...without all of them, you won't and can't win...