1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Landry's agent sets extension deadline

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dirtylandry, Jun 20, 2017.

1. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    In the context of the earlier stuff, yup....you're the new guy. =)

Bpk and Rickysabeast like this.
  2. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    I took it to mean Landry saying he did not want his contract to be a distraction, every week instead of talking to him and the team about the game, they'll be asking about contract. He doesn't want that so he said, we'll talk about it til the season starts, and then I don't want to be distracted by it, I'm going to go play football.

Finster and dolphin25 like this.
  3. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    It's also a little bit of a hissy fit. All good though,

4. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Sometimes instead of football we play words with friends

Fin-O and KeyFin like this.
  5. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I can't imagine a scenario where they'd intentionally low ball him- but the problem is finding an actual value. What is a low ball offer? Is 8M/per offensive for what he does? 12M? Because as many have said here, you can't directly compare him to a Megatron type receiver who clearly deserves a max contract.

Honestly though, I don't think Landry cares about the money. I mean, everyone cares obviously....but you have athletes like a D Wade in basketball that take lower deals for years to bring in other great talent. That's how I perceive Landry- it's not ONLY about the payday. He does want solid money, but he's more concerned about a winning football team and personally contributing.

If I had to guess, he will fall into the higher side of mid-range contracts of what top receivers earn today.

Fin-O likes this.
  6. Rickysabeast

Rickysabeast Royale With Cheese

Jul 26, 2016
    I think we're more concerned about this than the Dolphins are lol. They are like yeah that Landry guy. Number 14 right? Yeah lets get that done after coffee. Pay him 38/57ths of what OBJ makes.

7. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I knew you weren't arguing with me and why do I know that? Because I've gotten to know you...even though you were often wrong in the PoFo :lol:

Fin D likes this.
  8. Puka-head

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    But it's a very polite unselfish, team player kinda hissy fit. A lot like how Michael Benett and the Seahawks been talking. I really didn't get any kind of Diva Me Me Me vibe from that at all.

9. Redwine4all

Redwine4all Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2016
    If we extend Landry, there is no way we can keep Parker. So, I guess we hope Parker has a crazy good year and we can trade him for maybe a first and third pick or something. But with Stills' huge contract, Jarvis' pending "record" contract...I just don't think we can invest that much more money in what Parker will cost. Another reason we'll probably keep an extra WR--trying to get those younger guys ready to contribute in 2018.

Bpk likes this.
  10. Rickysabeast

Jul 26, 2016
    How did you come to this conclusion? Why don't we wrap up the player who is at the point of his career (one year more veteran) and has the accolades to earn it first. Then if Parker does the same lets wrap him up next year. Not awarding Landry to just wait and see what Parker might or might become would be a very bad strategy. So far, Landry's earned it like 600%. So far Parker has been an injured wimp for over 50% of his Dolphins career. Just because he got his crap together AFTER THE COACH HAD TO CALL HIM OUT PUBLICLY doesn't mean he'll succeed at the level Landry has (and keep in mind Parker's supposed to be the #1 WR not the slot WR). Of course I hope Parker becomes the next Julio Jones suddenly but whether he does or doesn't has nothing to do with what Landry has done.

There's a lot of players on the Dolphins. Each one should be handled as a case by case basis. Landry's done everything asked of him plus like another 100%. Pay him.

KeyFin likes this.
  11. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Why are we worried about Parker, when he can't stay on the field? We know what we have with Landry since day 1

12. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Wow I just noticed after this long it's dirty Landry! I have been under the impression it was dirtylaundry for quite some time lol!!!

On topic- I don't blame Landry Miami should have already had this deal done you don't want your number one wide receiver discruntled going into the season. Unless they are waiting to see if Parker can fill that role and they don't want to pay him. Stupid move if that's the mindset. Miami has a very good top 5 core hope they don't mess it up!

13. dirtylandry

Aug 2, 2015
    it was a play on words.

14. Rickysabeast

Jul 26, 2016
    So you're saying that paying Landry will cause Parker to be disgruntled? I mean if that;s the case then he'll get another toughen up buttercup speech from Gase. Parker needs to worry about actually playing worth a damn. So far he's two years in and has a whopping 7 TDs. Sure he was injured but I think Parker better keep his mind on Parker. People are saying he's improved but no one gives a yeti's larynx about how great he was in OTA's and minicamp. Landry should be a gleaming example to him on how to give 200%. Landry should get the big deal and get paid and send a photo of the check to Parker and tape copies of it all over Parker;s locker and his car as an example of how if you do things the Landry way things take care of themselves. Parker needs to keep improving big time or not only will he not get paid, he won;t be a Dolphin in two years. I REALLY hope thats not the case and Parker just goes bananas this year but the guy seems to respond well to tough love as made clear by Gase's calling him out last year.

15. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    He was saying we should have wrapped up Landry already, since he is our main target, and you don't want your main guy disgruntled.

My thing is this, I love Landry, but I dont think he can be a number one receiver.

Dorfdad likes this.
  16. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    On Sirius NFL Radio this morning, Ross Tucker and Booger McFarland were talking to former agent Joel Corry (he works for the National Football Post now) about current contracts. Landry got brought up by Booger... Corry's response was along the lines of what jdang posted earlier from a comparable player standpoint. Essentially said Landry is in a tough spot here, because he's considered widely as a slot WR. He's not a take the top off the D kind of guy, and he'll take a hit for that regardless of his stats and having more catches than an WR in their first 3 years. Considers Landry in a class of Baldwin, Hilton, etc. etc. That second tier group of WR's. If I remember correctly, he said he would expect to see $11-$13m per year, with a guaranteed figure in the $20-$25m range. Take that for what it's worth.

djphinfan, jdang307 and resnor like this.
  17. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    TY Hilton is in a class above Landry, if he said that he is wrong. Baldwin also has shown the ability to score TDs, but Landry is very effective moving chains, etc. So I see that about the same money wise since I wouldn't quibble over a mil or two

Fin-O likes this.
  18. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Exactly thank you. Also I guess were worried about having so much money tied up at the wide receiver position. we probably cant afford all of them to be paid what they all think they are worth.

19. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    He did mention Hilton, but he mentioned a couple other lower tier guys that I can't remember, but I know it was the guys you mentioned as well. He was kind of grasping at straws for more names as he mentioned Hilton and trailed off. I thought it was odd when he mentioned him too, but he struggled to pull his name and trailed off quickly after, so he may have been thinking of someone else

20. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    That's the problem though- you don't have a direct comparison to Landry anywhere in the league. He inspires his unit like Offerdahl. He runs through people like Emmit Smith. He's one of the best blocking receivers in the league. He moves at times like a Bo Jackson or a Dion Sanders. And none of that has a direct statistic tied to it on paper.

That's why I said that this was a fool's errand- you can't place a fair value on the guy since he does so much at a high level.

Puka-head likes this.
  21. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Yeah TY Hilton is an outside guy, but due to injuries (and lack of talent) was moved inside on 50% of his snaps this past year, maybe that threw him off

22. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Oh and arewe really afraid of deadline she set by .. a hobbit.

23. Puka-head

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    This #1 WR XYZ thing is really out of date in todays NFL In those days most NFL passes were thrown outside the numbers. Now 65% are thrown between the numbers. TE's, bigger WRs and quick more than fast are more important by far in that game. The shut down corner vs the #1 WR being the primary focus of the passing attack are diminished. The value of a receiver like Landry, who makes a living inside is increased proportionately. Add in nasty blocking, he blocks like a RG, special teams, and the balls out attitude and he's the #1 WR on the team, so pay the man! 5 yrs 55 mill 25 guaranteed.

Fin D likes this.
  24. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    IF you build your offense like NE, then Jarvis can be your #1. However, there are plenty of teams not built like NE, and they have traditional style roles for their receivers. A guy like OBJ, Bryant, etc, will always be more valuable than a guy like Landry.

25. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Imo there is no way to quantify the value of Landry..i've tried..there are to many variables and intangibles, and durability must factor in.

brandon27, Puka-head and resnor like this.
  26. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Problem is, I don't think Landry wants 11/m per. We don't know for sure, I'm just guessing, but I think 11m/year gets it done already.

27. dirtylandry

Aug 2, 2015

He is putting in the work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28. dirtylandry

Aug 2, 2015

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djphinfan likes this.
  29. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    I feel like I have to clear something up here, there is a deadline on negotiations, there's no deadline on signing a contract, if they offer him what he want's he'll take it, but they won't negotiate the terms.

This isn't all that rare either, many players and teams have done the same thing, because negotiations can be distracting.

30. Rickysabeast

Jul 26, 2016
    Awesome! He's got that shake and bake move down jack! Gonna juke some db's out of their kleats this year for sure!