1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Larry English on tv tonight

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by jwong, Dec 28, 2008.

1. jwong

jwong Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    just giving everyone a heads up that Larry English from N. Illinois is playing La Tech tonight at 8:15pm. I've only seen him play once and I know many of us have not seen him play but English may be an option for us at DE/OLB.

2. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Yep. Looking forward to seeing him again. Been all over this kid for a while; tremendous first 3 steps, team leader, good tackler, can drop in coverage, has dominated at the small school level. Top 40 pick at very, very worst.

3. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Surprised alen didn't post this. That's his man crush.

anlgp likes this.
  4. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    What a gaybo.

Conuficus likes this.
  5. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    :lol:

6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Larry English. :woot: :clap:

lmfao! No gay here.

7. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    He's fishing alen.

Like the hole in the mens bathroom stall.

Have you seen the Ricky Gervais comedy special on HBO?

8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Can't say that I have seen it.

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Damn, he's all downhill tonight. Can't set the edge at all but has provided pressure on the LA Tech QB.

10. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Just watched the game and was actually quite disappointed in certain aspects of his game. That said, I thought he was much better all round than Everette Brown was, admittedly against a lower standard of competition, but competition matters not when what you're showing is an ability in coverage, both in man and in zone and good lateral movement.

Like you said, he never really set the edge once, but you could see how Tech were gameplanning for him on every single snap; they changed the formation depending on where he lined up. The back would shift to his side so as to chip him and he lined up on the strong side and the weak side as a rush end in the 4-3, as a rush end on the right side in a 3-4 and as a standup SLB in a 3-4.

On the long run in the first half that Tech had called back he allowed the FB inside and didn't recognise run at all on the delayed handoff. He's been chipped by either the back or the fullback on almost every down prior to that so he might have seen that coming. I like the way all game he stood up well to the double team and is a consistent threat as a pass rusher. He gets off the ball very quickly and those first three steps were as evident as they were when I saw him earlier against Tennessee.

I thought he looked pretty stiff changing direction when Tech ran the Wildcat but that was the only time he did look cumbersome. I like his hands. Ed Orgeron who coached Cortez Kennedy and Warren Sapp at Miami says that a guy who has good hands can do anything. English has good hands when he needs to use them, although he constantly tried to get by with an outside rush which was a disappointment. Much as I criticised Brown, he needs to be displaying more variety; there was no spin, no rip, no swim, no giving the look of going out and then diving in under the tackle, especially as he'd set him up through the game. I assumed that's what he was doing, but he never did.

He set the edge very well on a play with 2 to play in the first half but that was the only time he did it.

On the first play after the muffed punt gave Tech th eball deep in NI territory, he lined up as SLB in a 4-3 and turned and ran downfield with the TE who worked across the formation to the strong side. He spied into the backfield before flipping his hips and staying inside the tight end meaning that the ball coud only go in one place. It was decent coverage and showed good technique.

Got to say that the LT, #74 did a very good job of riding him to the outside through the game.

I thought he again showed good lateral quickness and good transition, gearing down and back up again with fluidity and little wasted movement when they screened to his side and good hustle down the field.

With 14.21 in the 4th he showed his very first inside move. That's too late. Then with 13.10 to go, he lined up as the WLB and dropped into zone coverage with responsibility for the speedy Daniel Porter. Again his footwork was very fluid.

I mentioned it earlier, but he played double teams very well, always staying on his feet and in the play. On the first play after the double reverse he rushed hard off the edge gaining good pad level on 74, cutting under and then changing direction on a dime and pulling Porter down with one hand. Then with 5.17 to go in the game he was doubled again but did a tremendous job of splitting the two and forcing the QB up in the pocket where he was sacked by a waiting LB.

He was as relentless as I saw against Tennessee but in that game he showed more varity in his rush moves. He did the little things that I wanted to see last night; coverage, fluidity of movement, change of direction, even though his rush game was a little off.

alen1 likes this.
  11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nfldraftscout.com

Looks like Willie Young could be headed to the NFL.

Conuficus likes this.
  12. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Damn - that NC State game is on now isn't it? Need to tape that

13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yep. I've caught a little of Young. Struggled to shed some blocks but he's got nice quickness and he changes directions well from the little I've seen.

14. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Thing is with Young, he's so inconsistent, he'll either disappear off the map totally or become the next DeMarcus Ware.

15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Im pretty upset. I was recording this game and for whatever reason, the whole tape deleted and got all screwed up.

16. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    You didn't miss a lot. Worth taping that Missouri/Northwestern game later. I suspect Maclin will stay in school, but last chance to see Ziggy Hood, Moore and to see Corey Wootton.

17. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Ah, that's the problem my friend. I'm gone from home until Thursday. I'll find it online though, I know someone who might have it.

18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Managed to catch the game, taking notes on my phone lol.

Corey Wootton looks good for sure. He changes directions very well for his stature, he's very quick off the edge and there was one play, I believe prior to the interception, in which he exploded off the line and was in the backfield incredibly fast. He has very fluid movement, incredible for his size IMO. He has the very long arms but i've seen him struggle to get off some blocks so far. When pursuing, he won't always hustle from what I noticed. On one play, he'll track down a reverse to Jeremy Maclin and then the next play he'll jog, watching Chase Daniel run for a first down. Basically his motor isn't always there but otehr times it is such as above and I saw him get cut blocked, step over the trash and apply pressure on Chase Daniels. I think he's done a good job of setting the edge in the first half. Him covering the flats was impressive. He got out there quick and he hauled in the low pass. In teh second half, I thought eh got good leverage under the tackle a few times and displayed more of that quickness off the edge. Unfortunate injury, hopefully its not an ACL.

Big game from Sean Witherspoon tonight. Ziggy Hood looked good out there, showing quickness at the snap and stuffing some run plays.

19. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Thought it was interesting that the commentators on the game said he's likely to go.