1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Latest JT rumor

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by FinsPensFan, Apr 20, 2008.

Tags:
  1. FinsPensFan

FinsPensFan Professional Slacker

Dec 21, 2007
    Wheeling, WV
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

TAYLOR EXPECTING TO STAY IN MIAMI?

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 20, 2008, 3:02 p.m.
    Jason Taylor reportedly wants out of Miami and has asked politely to be traded. But will the Dolphins comply with that polite request?

It sounds like Taylor himself isn’t counting on it.

Edgar Thompson of the Palm Beach Post reports that Taylor recently told someone close to him that he plans to return to the Dolphins. It appears that Taylor would like to play elsewhere, but he’s not going to accomplish it by alienating the coaching staff, and he can live with it if his polite request is denied.

Thompson also reports that Taylor’s future will be tied to the first pick in the draft. If the Dolphins choose a player who could take Taylor’s place on the defense, such as Ohio State’s Vernon Gholston, they would likely look to trade Taylor. If they choose Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long, they would be much more likely to keep Taylor.

alen1 likes this.
  2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Please please get rid of this guy already, I am tired of this. Get what you can and ship him. Thank you JT for the memories, dont let the door hitcha where the good lord splitcha.

3. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    I say keep him, he isn't pulling a Chad Johnson and I haven't heard him say he wants out so right now all of these rumors are exactly that.

finsmx and Silverphin like this.
  4. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Jan 4, 2008
    JT reported the same thing after the last, "JT wants out of Miami" via (Jason Cole) crap that was reported. We as fans need to take everything we read this time of year with a grain of salt. I know it's slow, but sometimes us fans are so gullible.

DOLFANMIKE and Silverphin like this.
  5. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    If we can get the first rounder that he's worth, I say go for it. Sure, we'd all be sad as Dolphins fans, but he deserves his chance at a ring just as much as anyone else in the NFL. Indeed, to think that Manny Wright has a ring, that Aromoshoudu has a ring, but Zach, JT, Marino and other Dolphins greats don't is sickening.

phinfanuk likes this.
  6. MIKE

MIKE New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    Well it looks like he will be staying here and that is good I would be happy if we had a draft day trade.

7. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    If we trade him and get good value, ok. If he stays and puts up 10+ sacks, and do what he does best (Ints, FF, TDs) good.

8. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    [admin]Now now, personal attacks, will not be allowed. Shame on you.[/admin]

unluckyluciano likes this.
  9. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    We have somebody to replace Taylor already on our roster. His name is Joey Porter. He is better on the weak side anyway. Then we can look to the draft to find a strong side guy (Chris Long or somebody later like Brian Johnston).

10. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Keep in mind that JT is only a year removed from being Defensive Player of the Year. We shouldn't be so interested in a fire sale that we just start giving away talent. While I can understand JT's desire to play elsewhere, at the end of the day it's up to our front office. If he does end up staying, I expect him to conduct himself as he always has - completely professional.

11. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Blame the media then, not JT. JT is doing his thing, he has not done anything wrong IMO. He is going about it in a professional and courteous way, privately with the FO.

gafinfan, unluckyluciano and RevRick like this.
  12. phinfanuk

phinfanuk Season Ticket Holder

Dec 19, 2007
    *sigh* Who gave this thread one star?

13. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I would have to agree. If we draft Chris Long, i think a trade for JT would be announced shortly after. Its quite obvious he can still play. We all agree with that. Its also quite obvious though that he is only a few years away from retiring and moving on to something else. So why not trade him for a couple of extra draft picks. Everyone knows your team is built through the draft. The more draft picks, the more chances we have on grabbing fresh, young talent that can be the core of this team for years to come. Id hate to part with JT... but it makes sense to.

14. LennyV

LennyV Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Texas
    Hey maybe Jerry will give up the #28 pick for JT.NOt far removed from the second round..hooks him back up up with Zack and would make Dallas' defense truely dominating.

15. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    On top of that, and just for grins - Taylor being in shape is not a worry if any of you have done any competitive dancing. He will be in better shape after this six weeks gig than he has been in many a spring. And, once the OTAs and QB schools start, he will get in football shape a whole lot quicker.

And, for what Jason has done for this team, I don't think we should be so all fired ready to cavalierly dismiss him with a "don't let the door hit ya in the butt" attitude. He's probably the best DE ever on this team, and quite possibly one of the top 10 in the NFL over his career.

16. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    And you won't hear him ask for a trade, he's worried about his image and with good reason. Look at how many fans turned on Zach when it was reported that he was talking with the Pats. JT isn't going to start publicly begging like Ocho Cinco. If he did and a trade fell through, he'd be stuck in Miami listening to the boos and namecalling.

With that said, maybe he should stop and think about what hinting at retirement has done to his image, I know it has irked me for a while.

JT isn't worth a 1st rounder, to be honest I would be happier than a kid on Christmas if we were able to get a 2nd rounder for him.

At most, he has 4 years left in the league, and not all of those are going to be played at a very high level. So teams are going to have to weigh his age and ability against what they might find in round 2. If I was the GM of a rival team, I would keep the pick unless I was 100% sure that my team was one player away from being a SB contender, otherwise I would draft the young player for the future.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  17. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    That means very little right now. The NFL is about "what have you done lately" and GM's will look at his play last year and factor in his age and most likely these rumors of him wanting to quit for a career in Hollywood.

Shaun Alexander was a great player just a few years ago too, but would anyone trade a 1st rounder for him now? He isn't finished by any means, but he isn't the player he once was and his age (29, which for a RB is old) is a concern for any team that would be thinking about trading for him. The same with JT, he still has some trade value, but it isn't what it once was.

FinsPensFan and alen1 like this.
  18. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    It's the Ricky conundrum. Still a great player, but for how long? Worth more to us than what another team would give up (assuming he doesn't retire).

19. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Well, duuuuuhhh there Mike Florio... He'll return to the Fins because he has about $9m reasons to in salary this year. Why make this uglier than it should be. The advantage JT has is that he's in the final two years of his contract where he gets paid the most salary. His Hollywood career can be held off for another two years and he'll get paid handsomely for it. During that time, with his new found glory dancing, he has time to parlay that into whatever it can become in Hollywood...which is what he wants...

It would just not serve his purpose to make waves with the Fins right now. He has three ways to go here...1) is to stay with the Fins and collect his near $20M in salary the next two years. I doubt that he'd extend his contract and certainly won't do the Fins any favors by reducing his cap hit. 2) He can stay in Hollywood and retire, but there's no guarantee of that big money just yet. 3) He can wait and see if the Fins do try to trade him and here's where he's got Tunaland by the gaboinkas...He can refuse any trade and play the retirement card if he chooses...If the trading team is not a contender...he can retire and ride off into the sunset to Lalaland..If the team is a contender, he can parlay his money even further by signing a new contract (which would most likely happen) to his new team, get the money he was going to get here and still be on a contending team with a chance for a ring....He's in the proverbial catbird seat at this point...

20. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

As to a trade, lets face it, we won't get what he's worth. If we got a low first round offer, Tunaland would be on that like white on rice...They'd be ecstatic. Even tho the bar this season has been a 2nd and 4th rounder (as evidenced by a couple of trades of DL), his age may prove to be a spoiler for us in this regard. While he's still as productive as ever and has no injury history as yet, he's still 34 yrs old and contemplating retirement...

Heck, for all we know...these 'sources' that keep popping up saying that he's politely asked for a trade, etc may be other teams that we're negotiating with to try and drive his value down...

I just don't see the silver lining for Tunaland and the Fins on this deal unless he ends up staying here and playing at the same level he has played for the next 2 yrs...

21. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Tired of this saga, JT is a great player, we should be grateful for the privilege to watch him play the game in a Dolphins uniform. That being said, if he really wants out, I hope we trade him, but only to a serious contender. JT deserves that for the years of hard work he's put in.