1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Latest line from the bookies...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by cobrajet, Sep 6, 2010.

1. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010
    Miami -3 at Buffalo : Points = 38.5

Knowing that the bookies usually give 3 points for home field advantage that means the bookies don’t have much confidence in us if the spread is that close. I can’t wait to prove them wrong.

What are your score predictions for the game??

2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    basically we are 6 pt favorites? on the road. division rival? ill take it. its week one. the lines arent much different across the board.

Bpk and Trowa like this.
  3. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Opening weekend is a crapshoot. Unless you have the defending champs facing the team that had the number one draft pick from the year before, Vegas oddsmakers tend to wait until week 2 before you see any big shifts.

But Sick is right, if we are road favorites by three points, that means that they see us beating Buffalo by 6 or so. I don't want to give to omuch away about this week's manifesto...but the conclusion is shared by my software and projections as well. :shifty:

SICK, adamprez2003, Bpk and 1 other person like this.
  4. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    The only thing they have correct are the points (38)...... all of which will be scored by Miami. :shifty:

SICK, Merauder and CaribPhin like this.
  5. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    I'll go with 24-10. Missing Allen, Crowder and Long could change that however.

Bpk likes this.
  6. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    However, to be fair and accurate, if I take home field into consideration it will be 35-3. :lol:

CaribPhin likes this.
  7. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Oh and I would DEFINITELY take the under for this game.

SICK, cobrajet and Stitches like this.
  8. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Agreed.

9. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010

I think Miami -3 is the same as saying Buffalo +3, and if that is the case and the usually give 3 points for home field advantage - than they are calling us even. But you guys are right, on week 1 it's tough for anyone to predict this.

I guess if you wanna beat the line, week one would be the time to do it because the bookies are in the dark. :wink2:

10. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    No, I'm pretty sure if Buffalo was (-3) we would be considered even.

Agua, SICK and BigDogsHunt like this.
  11. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    Darn it - you're right.

-Sorry boys

12. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    How do you think CJ Spiller will impact things if he starts? Will it hurt or help Barfallo?

13. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

He can only help. The edges have to be sealed or we're in for one long damn game.

Agua likes this.
  14. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Spiller won't be doing much in the game past the first qtr. the Bills offensive line will not be able to set the edge against us, and spiller won't grind it out up the middle.

He's a great talent, but the blocking won't be there.

15. Wildcat23

Wildcat23 Here kitty kitty

Nov 9, 2009
    Help. A lot.

16. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    ''welcome to my world, the world of red bull''

17. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I like the matchup of Jason allen on their run game.

Merauder likes this.
  18. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Hits like a Safety.

SICK and Merauder like this.
  19. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    exactly. rule of thumb is wait at least until week 3 before placing bets.

20. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    I've already got money on a 7pt same game teaser with BUF +10.5 and OVER 31.

21. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    If we can't stop the screen pass Spiller will hurt us.

DolfanJake likes this.
  22. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Because he is one. :shifty:

23. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    I am praying we win. I'll say 24-21 Dolphins.

24. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    called it last week Miami by 3
    a win is a win & gives us
    another week to hone the blade

would not underestimate Buffalo
    1) they are always difficult @ home
    2) they have excellent speed
    3) after drafting Martin they add to that speed
    & will know much about our plans on game day

this may prove to be a more difficult game one than most think

DolfanJake likes this.
  25. Merauder

Merauder Perseverance

Dec 16, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    How many of you bet on the Dolphins? I did it once, and it was the game against Houston when Trent Green almost died. They lost but I won the bet since they covered. The next week I put it all on the line against Cleveland. I thought "Ok they are playing the Browns. Win #1 in the books." Ted Ginn got robbed of the second half kickoff return for TD and the rest was history on the way to 1-15. In summary, I will NEVER bet on the Dolphins again after that. They probably would have beat Houston and Cleveland if I had never bet on those games. 1-15 was all my fault.

26. gioknows

gioknows New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    I'm worried the same thing is going to happen as last year when each team creamed the other at home.

27. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    Perhaps, but I still think Spiller finds ways to gash us; swing-outs, screens, etc.

And I'm going to predict that Evans burns us again for a TD; it seems we always let him through for at least one. Our secondary this year doesn't exactly inspire any more confidence than it did last year.

28. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Langford, Starks, Dansby, Dobbins. I'd say he has quite a few problems.

Unfortunately for Bills, Ronnie is healthy this time. Our offense died in November after Ricky tired out and Lex sucks as a runner. Not a problem this time around, and there wont be any 1st and goal WC passes for INTs either. The Bills are an over matched team on both sides of the ball, especially at the LOS. Your secondary is good, but it wont help vs our running game, and none of your corners can stop Marshall one on one. Since its week one, I expect a close game, for a half or so. Once the adrenaline wears off, it'll be Miami in control.

Of course penalties, turnovers, special teams gaffes can make a mockery of any prediction, but I'm going to say 23-13 Fins. For the fellow gamblers, that's Miami laying the points (-3), and the UNDER (39).

djphinfan likes this.
  29. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    If only CJ had 10 other players on his offense

30. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Unless he can magically transform himself into paper-thin Kate Moss when he hits the line, he WILL have a problem running between the tackles against us. If you're line is being collapsed, then he's not going through it. Simple physics. Poor blocking most certainly DOES stop Spiller. Poor blocking stopped him in college, and it doesn't get any easier to evade defenders in the pros.

PS: I find it quite humorous that you watch a few preseason Bills games and now all of a sudden you're an expert on CJ Spiller. :sidelol:

31. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    The only way Spiller is going to cause us problems is in space..... and he's not going to see much of that between the tackles. He'll probably pop a few nice plays, but that won't be enough as the Bills will most likely be playing catch up to where CJ is somewhat removed from the equation.

32. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    I think Spiller will test our OLB's because running up the middle on us will not be an option. He's an incredible talent and in the open field he could be dangerous. If I am Gailey I would pass to him in the flats and let him test our safety's. I think this is where he would be the most dangerous.

Chan Gailey has a task ahead of him because this is the first "non-southern', cold weather team that he has coached and he won't have a game plan ready for playing football in the middle of winter and with Barfallo's swirling winds. He was a horrid choice for a coach up there and as the weather worsens it will show.

cobrajet likes this.
  33. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010

correct on both points...:yes:

34. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010

Look for them to pass to Spiller out of the backfield to try to get him behind our line so he can use his speed against our DB's. Our D had better nail him good a few times early in the game to make him think twice about getting cute. (welcome to the NFL Spiller, now let me put your ribs back in)

35. huck1974

huck1974 FU Gene Steratore

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri
    It is scary. Lets revisit this in a few days.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  36. huck1974

huck1974 FU Gene Steratore

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri

Your not going to gain any respect here if you continue to spew poop out of your fingertips and onto your keyboard. I can smell you and your city from here.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  37. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Are we talking the recurring "turf" pinkie toe?.... or the other one? :shifty:

38. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Since you're the obvious expert on Spiller and seem to know him so well while the rest of us haven't a clue, why don't you tell us how many CJ games you've seen besides the handful of quarters he's played in during preseason.

You're comment is as silly as me saying: "you're running back aint scary. He's just a rookie." It goes both ways you know.

Come back next Monday and tell us how scary our Dline is after it's spent more time in your backfield than Spiller has. :wink2:

Our Dline SHUTS DOWN most inside ground games. Ask MJD, Chris Johnson, and Michael Turner how fun it is to try and run inside against us...... and that's before factoring in Soliai, Langford, and McDaniel improving while upgrading Merling with Odrick..... and the "first time NT" is a proven dominant Dlineman who is an upgrade over Jason Ferguson. Not to mention, this "first time NT" can shift over to end when Soliai comes in to blow up the middle of your line.

djphinfan and huck1974 like this.
  39. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010

Spiller is indeed quite talented. This should be a good test for both our new defense and your new coach / RB. Best of luck to you. This will be a good game.

40. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I for one am not doubting Buffalo. They should offer some great competition....... for-us-to-poop-on!! :chuckle: I kid, I kid.

djphinfan likes this.
  41. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    The scary thing about Buffalo is how unpredictable the first game of a new coaches regime can be. You never know if the expectation is low or high because you have nothing to measure it against. This game will be cool because both teams have been overhauled in the last few months.

42. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    I'm verrrrry suspicious that this Barfalo team is going to be a lot better than folks around here are giving them credit for. You better believe they are going to be fired up for their home opener under a new staff.

43. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Langford still draws a lot of double teams. Starks isn't a first time NT, he has played there before...it's just a more permanent move there. Quite a few times this preseason he's blown up the double team in the middle and picked up a sack. If you study Starks you'll see that most of his big plays have come playing inside as he feels more comfortable there since he started his career as a DT for the Titans. However, he might still play some at DE due to the rapid sudden improvement in Soliai.

As for Odrick what a rediculous comeback with the "he's a rookie" bit...so is Spiller. Odrick has also played well enough that this team cut both Douglas and Grant. The strength of this Miami D is the DL and inside linebackers. The question marks come at OLB, FS, nickelback and whether Jason Allen has truly improved to actually beat out Sean for that CB spot.

Unlike the others though I won't count out Chan. He put together a pretty solid offense with Lamar Smith, Jay and a barely average OL. I still think Miami gets their running game going and eeks out a 27-24 win as I think Edwards will get a couple long plays in there with the inexperience of the DB's.