1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Latest on Dolphins' Pitch for SunLife Renovations

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by schmolioot, Jan 14, 2013.

1. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...lion-worth-of-upgrades-to-sun-life-stadi.html

Here's the latest.

Some interesting nuggets. First, the stadium renovation plans have grown in cost about $200 million, making it more likely that the plan will necessitate a complete gutting of the inside of the stadium. Depending on the exact nature of the plan, should it be approved, I do wonder if the Fins will have to relocate for a season, ala the Bears playing in Champaign, Illinois during Soldier Field's major renovations.

Second, Ross apparently is willing to pay between 40-60% of the cost, which makes the deal a little more palatable for me as an opponent of public funds for stadiums. Moreover, apparently Ross is willing to cede ownership of the stadium to the county and pay rent, so that would also be a way to make the deal a fairer one for the taxpayers.

Third, the major purpose of the renovation isn't really Super Bowls, if your ead between the lines. It's removing lower priced and less desirable upper deck seats and moving them to the lower level. Ross apaprently wants to solve his blackout problem by simply eliminating the seats thata re toguhest to sell, which is a good diea.

Fourth, for DJ, sight lines and crowd noise will be an integaral part of the new design.

Fifth, Armando brings up the spectre of the team moving at some point in the future after Ross sells the team. I am not worried about this at all, but I think it telling that the team is subtley throwing that out there

Bpk, dolfan7171, gunn34 and 3 others like this.
  2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Salguero, not the team, is throwing out that idea.

The Dolphins remain one of the least likely teams in the NFL to move. All teams in the AFC East are pretty rooted, and the NFL doesn't want to screw up the geography of the realigned divisions.

dolfan32323 and Anonymous like this.
  3. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    True, but Armando has been used as their mouthpiece before. He got the exclusive on the Ireland "a-hole" comment and he has been used in the past for other things as well.

The etam would never publically say it, but they might drop a hint to Armando and then hope he puts it in the column, which he did.

But yes, on the whole, I agree with you.

4. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think there is any chance they get public money. The economy is better, but now it's crystal clear the Marlins scammed the everliving **** out of Miami-Dade County, and that's going to stick in everyone's mind. The other article in the Herald pretty much has the key quote:

This guy is pretty much the biggest backer you could get in the government, and he's pretty heavily couched his support and given himself an out.

5. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Saying that the next owner after Ross isn't guaranteed to not move the team is pretty much common sense. We don't know how long Ross will have the team or to whom he'll sell. It's just Salguero exploiting fear of the unknown so he can have another "I TOLD YOU THIS YEARS AGO" moment of overinflated self-importance.

Bumrush and Fin D like this.
  6. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Well, what they're doing is apparently very different from the Marlins, beggining with Ross's share, the ownership of the stadium passing to the county, and the use of only hotel bed taxes. The Marlins actually got general funds and Loria's share of the cost was miniscule.

Obviously, I want to see the details, but this proposal is at least reasonable and more along the lines of a partnership rather than a handout, which I could support.

7. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    See, I dont think you can relate the 2. The Marlins and Fins are 2 totally different organizations. The Marlins have had an extensive history of being cheap and scamming the public. They're reknown for their fire sales. There was a big fear that the Marlins would put out a cheap crap product after they got their stadium... and that came to fruition.

The Fins on the other hand have zero history of that. While they’ve struggled the past decade to be competitive, it certainly hasn’t been for a lack of trying. The Fins have never been one to go “cheap” and not be willing to pay for players or coaches. And it literally is impossible for them to do what the Marlins did, b/c the salary cap floor is so high (90+% range) that you HAVE to spend almost all the money you are allowed to spend. They aren’t lying saying that they are losing money, and they are willing to pay a MUCH greater percentage than the Marlins did.

I’m sorry, but I don’t see how anyone can associate the 2 organizations, their history, their motives, or their intentions. The only thing they have in common is that they are sports teams. And that’s about where the similarities stop…

8. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    People are still talking about the Dolphins moving? LOL. I've never even been to Miami and I know that will never happen.

9. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    I have to think that Norman Braman is going to be all over this, and he puts his money where his mouth is. Besides, raping the tourists is going to hurt the hotel and convention business, and I'd be willing to bet that the county has to end up selling general revenue bonds to pony up its share. I'd like to see the numbers so we can evaluate the impact on the tax base.

10. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Sounds like a good deal for both parties imo.

Basically, the County would have to pony up 100 million and would finance it through bed taxes+stadium rent.

11. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think that really matters. It's public funding being used on a sports team, and the immediate comparison is the Marlins running their scam. It's not likely to be popular with the electorate regardless of how different and more honest it is, the Marlins have almost certainly poisoned the well

unluckyluciano and Fin D like this.
  12. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    This seems to be a much different deal, but obviously the devil is in the details.

Depending on what ross is actually putting up, and presuming he is covering cost overruns, the deal could eb a decent one for the county. I would like an NFL guarantee of multiple Super Bowls though.

13. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    Who are the "electorate"? (pardon my political ignorance)

It sounds like some simple education of the electorate would go a long way towards fixing that? I mean, the 2 organizations couldnt be more different.

The only people that would vote no based on the Marlins IMO would be ones that just see anything regarding "new stadium" and immediately vote it down w/o doing any research into the matter.

14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I think what Dpate is saying is that the voters are by and large going to have hard time separating the two deals. If this goes up to vote, the difference between the organizations isn't really going to be the issue and instead it could be about, last time we gave a sporting team a bunch of money we couldn't walk right for a year.

15. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    If any of you are worried about upped hotel taxes hurting tourism, let me say this. As a native Upstate NYer, who freezes his arse off every winter, SoFla will always been an attractive venue for people like myself to visit, a few extra bucks be damned.

I'm more interested today in seeing some mock-ups of what they're planning. Unless my financial situation changes for the worse, I plan to start a tradition of an annual visit down there for a game, starting this Fall. Been there twice already, and while I still love it, it's clear the stadium could be configured better to up the homefield advantage.

oakelmpine likes this.
  16. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The electorate is the body of voters in a given jurisdiction. In this case, the electorate would be the eligible voters in Miami-Dade County.

Disgustipate is right when he basically says that this is a supreme longshot due to the Marlins. The Marlins have singlehandedly chilled public funding for sports stadiums countrywide. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, but in this case, it's an obstacle.

oakelmpine and The Rev like this.
  17. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    Why though? The differences between both the 2 deals, and the 2 organizations, is night and day.

18. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    According to the article, since the proposal uses only hotel taxes, that it's not subject to a referrendum, meaning only the county comissioners will be voting.

Obviously, they need to consider their political futures when voting, but the threat of removal will be all the citizens have in this fight.

19. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    So, the electorate is just the general public in Miami? This would actually be voted on in a public forum? Not decided by the leaders of the city/county?

20. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    As the proposal only calls for hotel taxes, the plan isn't subject to a referrendum.

That's what Braman's suit against the Marlins and the city/county was partly about. The Dade comission rammed through Marlins Park as part of an omnibus package, including tunnels and other projects totalling $3 billion and because of certain ways the money was being appropriated they were exempting it from a public vote.

Braman sued alleging breach of sunshine laws amongst other things trying to force a referrendum on the whole project or forcing the county to split the projects up, thus making it easier for him and other opponents to attack the stadium specifically since neither he nor anybody else had much problem with building new bridges and tunnels.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  21. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    He's saying that people are going to be wary about another stadium deal. Many people don't take the time to learn the facts, so they'll just think "we're not going to get screwed again." Obviously you want people to take the time to learn the difference but that doesn't always happen, especially if you're dealing with non-sports fans.

22. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Have you ever seen a political ad? You're basically arguing why logic and rational thought doesn't work for people when dealing with political issues, which is a mystery, but not a new one.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  23. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I didn't read it as Ross ceding ownership of the stadium.

My interpretation -- and I could be wrong -- was that in addition to helping finance the stadium upgrade via hotel tax increase, the Dolphins/Ross would ask the local government to assist (e.g. help finance) in the operation of the stadium going forward. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me personally, since -- as Armando points out -- the Dolphins own the stadium and there is no lease holding them there.

Which is why Armando's suggestion of securing a 30-year agreement tying them to the stadium would seem to make sense.

Personally, if there has to be public funding, I think the Dolphins are going about the upgrade in of the best ways possible. The hotel tax stinks for visitors and hotel operators, but at least it's not saddling every local tax-paying citizen with the bill. But then there's the "as long as [Ross]'s government partners begin helping him with the cost of running the facility" part that could indeed get into the general public's pockets going forward.

Certainly an uphill climb. "We own the stadium. Please chip in a few hundred million to upgrade it, and then share in the cost of operating it going forward."

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to run your extremely profitable business this way? If I ever won the mega Powerball three times, I'd buy an NFL franchise.

oakelmpine and schmolioot like this.
  24. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    Well, it is their job to take the time and learn the facts before voting, no?

25. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

The Dolphins are trying to go around having the public vote. They want to use a bed tax that would be voted on by the city council in which they're asking the money from.

26. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Of course it is and never think different because its refreshing and how it should work...but it just doesn't work like that unfortunately.

27. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    The article wasn't clear, but I think you're right.

Here's the pertinent parts:

So what it seems is that there are two proposals, one in which ross pays for virtually all of the upgrades in return for the county/city taking over maintenance/upkeep of the stadium, or one in which Ross pays less, but the county doesn't invovled in an upkeep relationship.

I am not sure what the Heat's dela is, but Armando syas it is similar, but yes, if the city is going to become the de-facto operator of the stadium then damn right we need a solid lease for 30 years.

I am very curious to see what these renovations look like. We're already talking $400 million. With the typical unforseen issues and ususal cost overruns you're probably looking at closer to $600 million. At that point you are in the ball park of building a brand new stadium. So why don't they just do that?

My only guess is that ross thinks a pitch of "hey we just want to fix up what we already have" will be more palatable then "build me a brand new palace"

Muck and djphinfan like this.
  28. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    How did you reach this conclusion? I didn't see anything that suggests he would cede ownership. Sounds like he just wants the city to cover operating costs.

EDIT: Just saw your response above.

29. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Sure, but in principle is the same deal. The taxpayer subsidizing a private business.

30. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    I guess I dont understand. What are these people doing if they arent taking the time to actually read the proposals and look into them?

31. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    It makes sense IMO because it won't require immediate outlays by the city. They're essentially spreading out the costs over a long period of time. So there won't be some massive $300M outlay on the budget.

I do agree, this is probably the best way to go about getting the stadium upgraded. Its a lot more believable that the city spending a few hundred million over a long period of time is worth having Super Bowls and BCS championships. At least much more believable than telling the people of Miami that those events would be worth the $1B to build a new stadium.

32. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    And is that the thing that everyone is up in arms about? Or is it the fact that the Marlins spurned them?

33. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    It isn't really cut and dry. You're essentially weighing the cost against what you project the benefit to be. But that benefit is not easily quantifiable. Then you have the entire aspect of the officials actually being obligated to the people of Miami, or obligated to the special interests that give them money to campaign to the people of Miami.

34. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Both. The Marlins stealing from the city is really just a reminder of how these deals very often end up being a ripoff.

35. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I think its a good time to share this article I came across regarding Ross' real estate dealings in NYC. I would encourage everyone to read it:

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20120603/REAL_ESTATE/306039978
    I think what we are seeing here is an example of whats mentioned in the article. Ross is trying to make this as appealing to the city as he can.

dolfan32323 likes this.
  36. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    So... wouldnt that be a drastic difference from the Marlin's proposal?

37. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    In a sense, yes. It will be structured differently. There will be concessions. It should be more appealing than the Marlins' proposal. But they are still asking to receive subsidies from the taxpayer.

38. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    It sounds like the subsidies wouldnt come from the taxpayer though? But instead from tourists?

39. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Well, to a certain degree. The maintenance costs could very well come from the taxpayer. But raising taxes on tourists is essentially the same as raising taxes on residents. You're making it more expensive to travel to Miami, which theoretically could reduce tourism, or cause people to spend less when in Miami.

40. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    I don't think gutting the seats would force them to play elsewhere. The Saints replaced every seat in the Superdome in a few weeks. This would obviously be much more work, but I think it could be finished from January to August.

Would be interesting if they did have to play somewhere else though...Citrus Bowl in Orlando? What other South Florida stadium holds at least 45,000? Guess they could add bleachers to FAU.