1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Latest on Goodman

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by emale2u1, Mar 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. emale2u1

emale2u1 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Maryland
    Miami Dolphins free agent cornerback Andre’ Goodman is visiting the Cleveland Browns today, according to Jeff Darlington of the Miami Herald.

Goodman sent the Herald a text message saying it’s not inconceivable that he could remain with (edited) the Dolphins. Goodman visited the Denver Broncos on Saturday.

Per the article, the Dolphins aren’t expected to use their first-round pick to tab a cornerback.

It lists several potential second-round cornerback options, including Victor Harris (Virginia Tech), Jairus Byrd (Oregon), D.J. Moore (Vanderbilt) and Alphonso Smith (Wake Forest)

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/miami-dolphins/story/926832.html

Kanye West, Bpk and Alex44 like this.
  2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I hope the text said: "It's not inconceivable that I may remain with the Dolphins"

The image of that just cracks me up. Good info.

emale2u1 likes this.
  3. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Jesus... for a guy who was marooned with the garbage Lions for years, then endured 1-15... and was supported by this regime through a tough family time...

PLUS him being a guy who spent the entire last half of the year saying how wonderful life felt to finally be on a winning team, how redeeming, how special...

And this *** would chase money to a crappy team?

Some people really hate themselves, don't they? He just hasn't learned a bloody thing from his experiences.

Bye Andre. I'm disappointed in you, and not for your play on the football field, just the field of life.

4. Styla

Styla #1 Davone Bess Fan!!!

Apr 1, 2008
    Chillaxin' in So.Cal
    If he wants to go, then let him go. Pretty sure the FO have an idea of who they want to go after, via trade,FA or draft. Not worried about this one at all.

Bpk likes this.
  5. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008

He is not gone yet bro.

6. Bpk

If it's true he's more interested in Cleveland and is saying it's inconceivable to return to the Dolphins, then I don't want him back. Don't like the attitude.

Let him go cash his chips elsewhere.

7. Bpk

I'd rather maker a push to sign Ron Bartell in Free Agency.

Otherwise, I'd go with Utah's Sean Smith.

Both have size, can hit, and are very fluid, with good ball skills.

Everything I dream of in a CB.

8. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    Re-read it: the sports writer, paraphrasing, says the text said "it's not inconceivable that [he'd] return to the Dolphins".

I bet he's going to touch back with Miami with whatever offers he gets.

Bpk likes this.
  9. Bpk

BIG BIG BIG difference.

So... let's edit the response to fit the edited reprt.

So eloquently put.

10. Styla

Apr 1, 2008
    Chillaxin' in So.Cal

Let it go man, back away from the Goodman news. Go get a nice cold one and relax.LMAO

Bpk likes this.
  11. Styla

Apr 1, 2008
    Chillaxin' in So.Cal
    Well, let's get someone in here, all we have to show for this FA is a Berger.

I know we re-signed our guys and got G.Wilson, but damn we aren't doing anything right now.

I'm just impatient and tired of seeing other teams signing guys right now.

But, that's just me.

Dolfan4Life likes this.
  12. caneaddict

caneaddict Season Ticket Holder

Dec 4, 2007

I think you're confusing football with life.

Winning is great and every athlete would love to be on a winning team.

However, football is a notoriously violent sport with no guaranteed contracts and the shortest average playing career of any major sport.

Andre Goodman will be 31 at the start of next season. This is probably his last decent contract if not last contract period.

I don't know Goodman's educational or experiential background in regards to his ability to earn a 7 figure salary post football. I will not insult him by intimating that he cannot make such money. However, looking at most regular football players the decision to chase the highest contract makes perfect sense.

Most of these guys do not have college degrees. They have been making about 40-50% of whatever amount you hear in the media because of taxes, agent fees etc. Generally they come from impoverished backgrounds where they need to provide for many family members. Additionally they usually don't have great knowledge of investments (see M. Vick). They must maintain a certain standard of living while playing which tends to cost alot. So by the time a player reaches 30, if they have not been a superstar making $10M+ per season, they don't actually have a whole lot of money saved up. And the money they have might need to last them the rest of their lives.

So while the fun thing to do might be to take a discount and play for a winner, the responsible thing to do is sometimes realize this is a job and take the most you can get while you can get it. When he's 37 and out of football he can spend his extra millions playing fun games of football with friends. But not knowing his financial situation or his post football plans, I wouldn't judge him or hold anything against him for taking care of his family's future first.

Having said that, I hope selfishly the market is a bit weaker than he expected and our offer becomes financially competitive with what he is finding in the open market so he can return here to get his money and help our team win.

Bpk and brandon27 like this.
  13. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Goodman signed with the Broncos. wish him luck. hopefully the front office has someone in mind

Bpk likes this.
  14. Bpk

I understand and agree with 90% of what you're saying.

Where we differ is that I think how you live your life has to include the thing you spend more time on in your life than any other single thing: your career.

The values you have as a person are reflected in the values you have as a professional. I wouldn;t want it any other way.

I don't put a lot of stock in the corporate mentality that says you become disconnected from your personal beliefs in a job. How about doing your job in a way that's motivated and inspired by your personal beliefs?

To me a person has to know who they are, and live it with consistency in all areas of their life.

So, on that basis, I admire players like Zach Thomas, who, on principle, refused to play for the Patriots because it would have felt disloyal. That consideration was important enough that he didn;t care what their offer would be. That's worth respecting.

15. Bpk

I wish we could find out how much the Dolphins offered Andre, to see how much the difference was. Perhaps the Dolphins lowballed him badly and he felt insulted? Who knows.

Either way, I'm ready for Ron Bartell. -crosses his fingers-

16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I'd be surprised if he's a top 15 pick, despite how good he is. His size is a concern for teams.

17. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Haha, yeah.

Top fifteen talent? Probably. Top fifteen pick? Probably not.

JMO.

18. RBrown23

RBrown23 Thanks GISH

Jan 21, 2009
    Maryland
    Big loss IMO, Goodman was a great corner in our late stretch of the season last year. Now we gotta fill his void in the draft.