1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lazor is just a Tanny hater...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin-Omenal, May 28, 2015.

1. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    ...Or is he simply confirming an obvious flaw in our young QBs game, I'd say so. We all want to see Ryan evolve into a top teir QB and this flaw needs remedied. There won't be as much pressure on Ryan to make these throws as ther was before considering it was our #1 WRs biggest strength, so perhaps that will make a difference.

http://espn.go.com/blog/miami-dolph...-deep-ball-weve-got-to-figure-it-out-together

Da 'Fins, DolphinGreg and Sceeto like this.
  2. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I'd be more worried if Wallace had spent a lot of extra time working on the deep ball with Tannehill.

He didn't.

There were reports of other receivers and Tannehill working extra together, and Wallace was never one of them.

There were also times the press pushed Philbin on why he didn't give Wallace and Tannehill more deep ball reps in practice, and Philbin essentially said it wasn't important enough and you couldn;t have Wallace run gassers (more like, "I'm scared to tell Mike to run gassers.")

Regardless, the extra work to BUILD that chemistry did not happen.

Now, I have already heard of Stills and Landry working with Tannehill as far back as March.

Parker seems like the sort of guy who will do what the olders guys are all doing, so I expect he'll also get in extra deep ball work with Tannehill.

This year, we will see all that extra work pay off.

There will be a better deep passing game this seaosn. Maybe not DRASTICALLY better, but at least noticeably better!

Ducken, xphinfanx, 2socks and 2 others like this.
  3. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    The article makes it seem as if Lazor is saying all of those things specifically because of the deep ball. If you watch the interview, the deep ball question is only a very minor part of everything that he said and he doesn't acknowledge at any point that it's only Tannehill's fault.

Check out the narrative-free interview and draw your own conclusions:

http://www.miamidolphins.com/multim..._Offense/95ed4fcb-356c-483f-9af3-aef15238a682

the 23rd, DOLPHAN1, xphinfanx and 8 others like this.
  4. Bpk

And I LOVE Lazor being honest. It's sad that so many people in this society hate the truth just because it isn't what they want to hear (not pointing at you, Fin-O, just in general)

There is no way to improve if we, as a culture, want to be lied to and told everything is perfect when it is not.

You have to CARE about someone to tell the truth. The REAL haters are the ones who are gutless and only tell you what you want to hear.

jedburg, 2socks, Fin4Ever and 4 others like this.
  5. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    lets not pretend, as it pertains to the deep ball, the qb needs to get better at his timing, vision, anticipation, speed up his footwork all the while slowing down the processor, catching up mentally to the right tempo for the deep ball.

6. Bpk

Yup. It's not a natural strength for Tanny... but he is improving in every other area. I feel like this one will improve this year.

resnor likes this.
  7. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
  8. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    IT'S A TRAP!

/Admiral Ackbar voice

9. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Is what it is, most of us have the ability to recognize its been an issue. The good news is that now we don't really need him to make that throw to change games. DJ is right and at this point improving on the deep pass shouldn't be priority number 1.

Back. Shoulder. Throw.

That IMO will be the throw we need from Ryan in 2015.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  10. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    I don't think anyone has a problem w talking about RTs shortcomings so long as it's done in context.

cuchulainn and resnor like this.
  11. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    If only that were true.

Da 'Fins, gunn34 and CashInFist like this.
  12. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    [SUP][/SUP]I do and have always believed Wallace was part of the problem. A bigger one than most think. Tannehill is not great at the deep ball but i for one am sick and tired of big money drama queens at wr. I hope we never "pay" a wr again. (Unless it's devante signing a second contract cause that means he's done really well.)

I bet these young guys come down with 2 or 3x as many deep balls this year

13. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    I think his pocket presence is #1. He needs to develop those "Eyes in the Back of His Head" like all the great ones have/had.

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  14. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    Lmfao on that one. :lol:

Da 'Fins, cuchulainn and djphinfan like this.
  15. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    I don't want to blame everything on Wallace, but Tannehill always seemed to have respectable deep balls to almost everyone else. Even though the sample size is small, the stats seem to back that up. Out of curiosity, does Tannehill have a mechanics coach during the off-season? Most QB's do, but I've never heard him bring it up.

16. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I would put field vision #1 and pocket presence #2.

CashInFist likes this.
  17. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    That's a fair argument.

18. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    The off-season Lasik should help.

19. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    Did he really do that?

20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    hes improving in every other area except that, and one other thing..:shifty:

CashInFist likes this.
  21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    lol..res is cool man, i know he's passionate and has his points.

cuchulainn and CashInFist like this.
  22. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    the back shoulder does not require touch so he should be good.

23. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    He completed ZERO passes past 30 yards to anyone not named Wallace. The numbers just don't bear this perception out.

The disconnect between Wallace and Tanny was all about experience. Tanny hesitates every so slightly and waits for Wallace to be open before throwing it. That usually causes Wallace to be out of range. A few of Big Bens bombs to Wallace have him recognizing Wallace was going to beat his man and the ball being released before he actually does. It's a comfort issue. Big Ben was in his what, 9th, 10th year, or whatever. Throwing 20 yards to Hartline on a comeback is infinitely easier than to Wallace on a 9 route.

24. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    :lol: I see what you did there.

25. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    I agree.

26. EverFin

EverFin Active Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Conclusion: Hartline isn't here anymore for more short passes without yac. The youngsters at WR (surehand Landry and highjump Parker) will catch everything thrown their way in the short and medium range. Stills will catch some deep TD passes which Tannehill is capable to throw now in his fourth year. Enter Cameron for some mismatches. Just my wet dreams or could all this really happen?

27. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Just because it's his fourth year doesn't mean he'll magically start connecting on deep TD passes. It would be nice to see.

28. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Fin D likes this.
  29. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    Lazor is historically "hard" on QBs period. Unless RT turns into Aaron Rodgers you likely won't ever hear him gush over RT. There is always something to improve upon and Lazor is going to point that out. I love that. Let Joey P be the good cop to Lazor's bad cop.

resnor likes this.
  30. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    Concerning the original article by James Walker I wasn't particular impressed with it. The Lazor quotes weren't anything new and barely touched on the deep ball issue. It seemed to stem more from Walker's analysis of some ESPN stats on Tannehill's passes of 30+ yards. I'd be curious to see those stats, not because I don't think Tannehill might have struggled, but because stats on throws pass 30+ yards specifically are rather hard to come by, I find. NFL.com lists 20+ and 40+ and don't list percentages. ESPN stats is the same. So if he's going to reference hard to find stats I'd like to see them and I'd like some comparison with other QB's at those stats.

Ducken and resnor like this.
  31. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Lazor sounds like he's speaking more generally about making Tannehill a better player period.

ssmiami, brandon27, Brasfin and 5 others like this.
  32. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Why does everyone have to be a hater when there opinion differs or they have a negative opinion of something?? They are opinion's. Calling someone a hater for having a negative opinion is equal to saying this person's opinion doesn't matter, because ------- he is a hater. What is a hater??? The only reason one person's opinion would matter is because someone else gives it weight which makes it matter.

It seems as if this is generational name calling. When this generation doesn't get or hear what it wants you are called a hater in an attempt to discredit your opinion in someway. When the term "hater" is used, all I can do is roll my eyes, and wait for this person using the term to throw them selves on the floor kicking and screaming.........wahhhhhhhhh

People are afraid of being labeled a "hater or racist".t I say people who feel it necessary to name call should get over themselves already. Your opinion that someone else is a hater matters no more then the opinion you are trying to discredit. All they are doing is verbally bullying whoever they are conversing with.

(not aimed at Fin-O)

33. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    Calm down bro. It's only 9:30. LOL

34. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Why you got to be a hater:yes:

35. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    Geesh...it was a joke bro.

36. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Tannehill wasn't a rookie last year. Why do we pretend that only last year counts for throwing deep?

resnor likes this.
  37. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    lol I know that

For some reason people don't like that label.

I know your not a hater bro...............lol

CashInFist likes this.
  38. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Late, but the sentiment remains.

[​IMG]

39. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    :omg:

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

40. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Because it's his progression. We can talk about 2012 if you'd like. Tanny is a 76 rating range of QB.

It's his most recent year, in his new offense so you place the most weight with it. Offensive systems affect deep passes as well, go see Charles Haley in Pittsburgh.

Da 'Fins likes this.