1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

League to consider widening Field to CFL Standards

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MonstBlitz, Feb 11, 2013.

1. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Didn't see this posted.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...playing-field-35-feet-may-190404198--nfl.html

Hmmmmm....might solve the whole issue of putting the fans closer to the field with no major renovations needed...

2. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    that would be stupid

3. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    NFL need to pretty much do anything and everything to save players' brains at this point.

texanphinatic likes this.
  4. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    .....true, but the stadiums already close to the field might have to undergo some.

5. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Yeah, that will probably be what keeps it from getting done. At least anytime soon.

I'm not exactly sure what widening the field that much would mean for the game. But if it keeps the players safe, and opens things up a bit more, it can't be a terrible thing, right?

6. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    This is ridiculous. FFS man, just give the NFL a 55 yard line, the CFL an extra down, and merge the two leagues.

Oh, I almost forgot waist flags for the QBs.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  7. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I don't know if it'd be terrible or not but I'd hate to see us seem like CFL 2.0. We'd never hear the end of it from our neighbors to the north. Plus, what then happens to high school and college fields? Do those change, too? Wouldn't the camera have to pan back further from the field to cover the wider surface area? Depersonalizes the viewing experience a tad to me.

IDK, I think it'd change the dynamic of the game to where certain teams would immediately gain an advantage b/c their personnel would benefit more from having an expanded field, whereas others might even be hindered by it. It's a can of worms I wouldn't want opened. Before we know it we're gonna be watching flag football.

8. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    That certainly would be preferable to hundreds of former NFL players dying at the age of 45, and the NFL subsequently dissolving.

Tone_E likes this.
  9. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    then how about fixing the actual problem rather than changing the game to suit the players' physical evolvement through roids, GH, and supplementation? I don't see hundreds of players from the 60's, 70's, and 80's dying by the age of 45. Some of them are hobbled, but that comes with the territory of being a modern day gladiator, not to mention being handsomely paid and aided by a great benefit plan.

10. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I don't disagree. But the NFL's so exposed to liability that they need to adopt an "all-of-the-above" plan. Physical evolution can't really be stopped, even if you test for HGH.

Either way, the problem of NFL players suffering devastating brain damage is one that is growing worse at an exponential level. The NFL needs to take any and all action possible before they are crushed in litigation.

11. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    It is a contact sport and the risks are known to them. They accept them. If not, someone else will while they deliver mail in a tower or mine coal underground for pennies to the dollars they are making now - not to mention their free education if they were appreciative enough to take advantage of it.

The NFL should take a proactive approach to head trauma, after career benefit programs, etc, but to alter the sport in such drastic ways throws the entire history behind the game to the alley imo.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  12. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    No, the risks are not known. The risks are being discovered to be worse and worse every day. The NFL has been way behind the curve here. It wasn't even acknowledged that football could cause brain damage until just recently. Certainly very few people would play football if it meant a 50% mortality rate by age 45.

texanphinatic likes this.
  13. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hmm, NFL is just biting on the CFL's jock lately...:shifty:

FWIW, don't like this, different games, 4 downs v 3 downs etc etc

14. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    All valid concerns I'm sure. I only mentioned it because I immediately thought of all our complaints about the field being too far from the stands. I'll let those of you who understand more than I would what the actual implications on the game would be discuss those.

15. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    And what happens after the first bone crushing hit on a wider field? Then what? What do you do next? Put lead in their shoes so they cant run as fast at each other. Where do you draw the line?

Marco likes this.
  16. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Good point.
    By the time these players make it to the NFL they're already physically evolved. It needs to stop long before these guys reach the league, like in high school. Not to mention the talented kids who play by the rules would be on a more even playing field as it should be, which I'm a fan of. The penalty for cheating needs to be stiffened b/c obviously the current system doesn't elicit enough fear, at least not enough to supersede aspirations of multi million dollar paydays.

17. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Agree about it helping move fans in our stadium closer to the action..... although, now that I think about it, if the hashmarks are widened along with it, the action at times could be even further from one side of the stands, no? Any action in the middle of the field would still be the same distance, and action along the sidelines would be closer to that sideline but even further away from the opposite, so IMO it kind of all washes out.

18. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Spread option QBs could really benefit from this is. More exciting play too...

I wouldn't mind a pre season trial run. Just to see what it looks like.

Laces Out likes this.
  19. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    People will evolve without cheating. Simple genetic evolution, advanced training techniques, supplements, nutrition, etc. will do that. People will get bigger/faster/stronger without PEDs.

20. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think scoring would go through the roof.

Laces Out likes this.
  21. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Getting coaches to teach form tackling instead of hitting would be a better start.

22. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I have to smirk a bit over all of this, just a lil bit..:lol:

I'm not in favor of it, the one rule I do think would save injuries in the NFL would be the 5 yd bubble around returners BUT no fair catches, it basically creates a semi open field situation w/o the blocking the league normally requires to create it.

As for cutting down on collisions..nope..if anything the CFL has much harder hitting as defenders have running starts before hitting the offensive player

23. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    They're already working on that I think?

24. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I don't really know how many more ways I can state I don't have a strong opinion on it beyond thinking it was interesting considering discussions about getting the seats closer to the field. If you're interested in a heated debate about player safety I'm afraid you'll have to look elsewhere.

25. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    Sounds like a great idea.They should consider going to three downs if they do this.

26. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Ew.

I like watching CBs and WRs battle. It's getting to where CBs don't stand a damn chance so you may as well look at your secondary as primarily tacklers, not pass defenders.

27. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    If this happens resign Reggie Bush.

28. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    No doubt there are issues that can be improved upon but the above statement is a bit dramatic isn't it?

Hundreds of NFL players dying before the age of 45?

Not to mention you're also assuming with your argument that any deaths in that age range would be impact effect related.
    If I'm not mistaken the most common cause of young NFL alumni early deaths are from obesity issues in previous Linemen not impact issues.

29. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    The only problem I see with it from a player safety standpoint is being too close to the walls/barriers that make up the seating. Otherwise, there are worse ideas out there for the NFL to take on :looks at Arena league WR motion:.

Think of what some coaches could do with that much more space to work with. The screen game would get much more use IMO with the speedier wideouts, and as mentioned the option game would be aided by this.

If this goes through as a new rule, would they limit the crown a team could put on a field? It could certainly help teams in the power running game to hit the sidelines running downhill at a team.

30. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    Sean Smith and Carroll are definately toast then if they do this. They cannot cover the current size field. Widen it and teams will jail rape our corners. They could do it without even using a RB and throw every play to the outside. Smith and Carroll would be flogged repeatedly.

31. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA

That's what I was thinking. I've seen some pretty damn vicious hits watching CFL games, mainly just because of how much more room players have to gain that speed.

If they do decide however to widen the field, I think they should look at something in between the NFL size today, and the CFL size.

32. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Gonna be harder for Tedd Ginn to run out of bounds after the catch.

mnfinfan likes this.
  33. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Won't happen. It would require construction of lower stands that were built to accommodate current field sizes. Plus with 4 downs...scoring would become a joke.

34. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Lmao I literally spit my drink out reading that. And liquor rarely escapes my lips.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  35. LiferYank

LiferYank New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I dont think flag football is going to make billions a year....

36. LiferYank

LiferYank New Member

Oct 1, 2012

Hard hits cause Turnovers. Turnovers lead to wins.

37. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    So does wrapping up the ball carrier while pushing against the ball with your helmet to force it out of the carrier's hands.

But that isn't as "awesome" as hitting, so modern NFL players don't do it, even though it's more fundamentally sound. (Remember when Bernard Pollard, hitter extraordinaire, bounced off Michael Crabtree in the Super Bowl?)

unifiedtheory and Stringer Bell like this.
  38. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    If the NFL went to a CFL sized field with 4 downs the punter would no longer be required because there would be no punting. Seriously, 4 downs to gain 10 yards on that size field? With only 11 players? I'd stop watching. It would become a joke. Teams would regularly put up 100 points in my opinion. Every offensive record would be a joke. Defense would be the ultimate afterthought. Every game would be a race to 80.

I can not stress enough how horrible this idea is, just atrocious.

Ozzy and padre31 like this.
  39. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Stop making sense.

A lot of things wrong with the NFL can be fixed with fundamentals.

It can also be fixed by the rules. Good Old Rog wanted more offense and more scoring so, he opened up the game. The consequences to this is more speed and higher impact collisions.

Desides likes this.
  40. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Goodell didn't open up the game, he started protecting whoever holds the ball. The game was open before Goodell was hired. The NFL Competition Committee and its chairman Don Shula opened up passing offense with rules changes in 1978.