1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leaping Dolphins Collide, One Dies.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by brandon27, May 1, 2008.

1. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Well this is a strange and sad story...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24360996/

2. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    This is a horrible omen my friends...

3. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    the 1-15 season claims another life......

Frumundah Finnatic and Zeke0123 like this.
  4. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    oh i thought you meant this.....

[​IMG]

brandon27 likes this.
  5. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You are offically banned from posting pictures...evar...

EDIT: Thank You for fixing it

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  6. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    oh ok admin....will do......oh wait...........your just another poster :pointlol:

ill post whatever the F i want:shifty::tongue2:

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  7. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Or attempt to :wink2:

like2god likes this.
  8. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    touche

9. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Umm, don't you guys think that this is a sad story?

10. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    i think its sad they died for our amusement. Yes.

11. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    it is, dolphins are cool creatures......its just ridiculous IMO helicopters over seas crash by accident and humans die....yet i dont see alot of threads for those, and it happens more often then dolphins crashing into eachother......human life is more important to me honestly,

i was watching no country for old men with my sister and wife.....they show multiple dead bodies on the ground.....silence.....they pan out and there is a dead dog, both of them at the same time say "awwwwwwww poor dog"

like seriously? I paused the movie....5 or 6 humans lost their lives, who cares....but a dog is dead and its "awwwww"

like how mike vick is in jail yet pacman is apart of a shooting that left a man who was going to school paralized and he gets rewarded with a 4 year contract for the playoff and maybe superbowl bound cowboys....its ridiculous imo

where are the people protesting for that guy who got shot for standing outside at the wrond place at the wrong time??? But there is thousands of people outside the courthouse sayign "poor dog this" and "poor dog that"

all in all.....im just upset i guess there isnt more sadness or even a 2nd thought for humans that have accidently or sadly lost their lives

Frumundah Finnatic and brandon27 like this.
  12. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    I understand that point, but I've seen plenty of threads here and on the other site about people who have died under irregular circumstances and there have been expressions of sadness. But, even if you don't see those threads, it shouldn't undervalue the tragedy here.

To me life is life. A dolphin, unlike many other creatures, is an intelligent, feeling entity. It feels fear and love. Dogs too, have those feelings and anyone who's ever owned one knows that they can be hurt emotionally.

When you get down to it, anthropocentrism is really the same mentality as racism. It wasn't long ago that you could have shown different circumstances, substituted "black man" for "dolphin" and someone may have reacted the same way, that a white died and there wasn't any outpouring of feeling.

13. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC

i dont think you were, but it seemed a bit there you were calling me a racist......hope not, cause i am not.

I was not down playing the events of animals or any other creatures dying, or even putting humans on a pedistol over them......its flip flopped, society puts animals and other creatures above human life....like in the movie "iam legend" for example...(i keep using movies because you see first and immediate reaction at the theatre from people, and i have never seen a death in person i couldnt use that for example) Millions apon millions of people died, will smith is ALONE......NOTHING.....but his dog dies.....people crying, saying "awww" and whispering "thats so sad".....why not for humans!?!? P-E-O-P-L-E DIED.....yet everyone upset over the dog dying, i just think society in general dont care as much about human life, as animals.....who like it or not....are beneath us.....they are pets....

humans are brothers, sisters mothers and fathers....yet no one cares as much its sad imo

14. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    I didn't call you racist, but it seems like you are anthropocentric. Many people are and don't see an issue with it because it's considered acceptable by the larger society. You seem to be contradicting yourself, saying that you don't humans on a pedestal over animals, but you then say that they are beneath us.

15. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You both make great points. SFF is right, we do seem to value the lives of animals moreso than humans on occasion. War and the nightly news (and movies, music, etc) may have desensitized us to an extent. Animals seem to be innocent in our eyes whereas men can be evil.

Miamian you seem to have more of a 'John Lennon' take on the matter. By that I mean you're a dreamer. If everyone thought the way you did the world would be a much better place no doubt. I agree strongly with your points though.

WharfRat and Miamian like this.
  16. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC

i mean....they walk around naked, eatign anything, dont have the intelligence to think about consequences before doing things, they dont go to school,. they dont drive cars or own buisnesses, they are pets for humans.....i dont see how they are on the same platform as us.....i just find it sad people are beneath animals when it comes to life in general populations opinions

17. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    all im trying to say is

"tonight on cnn another soldier has died by accident when a helicopter crashed"
    Humans-- Oh that stinks.....NEXT

"a dog was hit by a car today and died instantly"
    Humans- Awwww omg thats so sad.....why didnt the driver see it?! Poor dog was probably trying to get food......that person should lose his license awwww....man thats so sad

18. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    I really don't understand this. They're worth less because they don't wear clothes or drive cars? :huh: It's actually a nice thing that another species doesn't contribute to pollution.

I really don't think that most people value animals more than humans. It might just be what Sickfinfan said, that they have an aura of innocence.

19. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I hear you bro. Like I said I can def see both sides of the issue. He called us out for goofing on animal dying and had legit grounds to do so.

20. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Actually I said that...but its cool. :wink2:

21. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    I think sicks point is if we are being called out for goofing on dead animals then the same should be done in any thread about any death especially humans........... and yes I have seen some goofing around about humans dying.

SICK and HardKoreXXX like this.
  22. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    I think that I can relate somewhat. There's often a reaction when Palestinians terrorists have succeeded in killing a number of Israelis and many people lament the action and express hope for a better reaction. Whereas when Palestinians die collaterally as a result of an Israeli military strike and the same people explode with rage over the wanton violence.

Even so, IMHO, anything/anyone that feels fear, love, anger, pain, et al deserves sympathy.

SICK likes this.
  23. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Oops. Sorry.

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  24. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Gotcha. I'll be the first to admit Im guilty of that. Not proud of it mind you, but I guess its become somewhat acceptable.

25. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    your taking my point and making it very bland....what im saying is they are not evolved as much as humans, we run the world, and i am not putting them down....all i am saying is people in general give animals lives more attention then humans, and IMO its sad:up:

26. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    When I was in college I had a course in physical anthropology. On the final exam the professor asked us to state a misconception that the course had corrected. I wrote something like while I believed in the concept of evolution, I had also believed that humans were somehow on a higher evolutionary scale than other animals. After having the course, I understood that species evolve according to their particular habitats and develop traits which enable them to survive. The professor wrote "good" after that.

Do we actually run the world or is it G-d? That's a whole other debate altogether, but it underscores what I see as anthropocentric attitude.

I can put this another way. The mentally handicapped are also not as intelligent as people without handicaps and are not capable of everything that a person with full mental capabilities can do. You wouldn't find a mentally handicapped person as the president of a bank or country. Does that mean that they deserve less sympathy when they die under irregular circumstances?

27. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    your still not seeing my point, i believe i stated it wrong.....my whole point is people feel more compasion for dying or dead animals then humans.....end of discussion for me....thats all i meant :up:

28. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    i never said animals deserve less sympathy.....i found it ironic and sad animals got MORE sympathy than humans.....and the same with the mentally challenged i believe people would be more sad if they saw that on the news or heard it from someone, why? i dont know.....a life is a life.....challeneged or not, black or white, smart or dumb.....its "normal" to hear about another human dying, so its almost a "who cares" approach.....but you hear about a animal dying.....ABANDON SHIP...

heres another example....that horse, that broke his ankle Barbaro.....he broke his ankle, and people were putting flowers outside of the barn and praying for it and stuff.....yerimiah bell tears his achillies and no one gives a rats ***......why? Who knows...its just sad imo

29. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    Miamian, while i sympathize with what you're alluding to, you are quickly turning this political.

its about dolphins colliding.... how we ended up on palestine and israel from that story is beyond me. :up:

30. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    I don't think that politicizing the discussion was avoidable. I also didn't mean to divert the course of discussion. Most of you know that the Middle East conflict figures prominently in my mind; I was simply stating that I understood the mentality of placing higher priority where none should be placed.

31. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    For me that depends. In the past when a horse would break its leg they would euthanize it. Maybe that's not still being done. If they did euthanize it, then yeah it would deserve more sympathy, it would be dead, while Yeremiah Bell should contribute to the success of the team. If it's still alive and convalescing then no, it shouldn't garner any more attention. The extra attention may have come from horse breeders, jockeys, and others who develop special feelings for horses. I don't know, I'm just guessing.

32. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    wow... comparing euthanizing horses to football players with injuries? perhaps you should join PETA dude! :up:

33. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    This is officially the weirdest debate ever.

BTW ... you have my permission to laugh at this.

34. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas

wow, that's not too far from where I grew up...

35. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    oh geez that's hilarious.... i would have loved to have seen video of that. :up:

36. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    yikes!! I didnt think posting this story would stir such a debate! I just thought it was a strange news item, and sad at the same time and posted it only because they were dolphins and i thought people would find it strange as well that an incident as odd as this could happen. Plus.. theyre dolphins. were THE dolphins. it just fits :up:

now... you may proceed with your debate! :up:

37. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    vy do yoo vant to talk to snowflake? do yoo KNOW heem? does he call yoo at HOME?

38. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Please see my pm.

39. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    How cool is that. If that was me in the wheelchair I'd be lining up again and saying "Mister how much is it for that ride again?"

Almost as cool as "The smartest animals ever" smacking into one another despite all their sonar and huuuge brains. I don't have that much sympathy for the blasted fish thieves, Killer Whales are way cooler.

40. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    Not at all. Just means the dolphins of seasons past are dead and the new Dolphins are rising now:up:

Too bad about the real dolphin here though:sad: